98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

The actual date doesn't matter. The issue remains.

You are right. All I need to do is set the flags in the inf to override any and all files modded or not.

So if you install the Service Pack you will automatically get the modded versions. The timestamp or version won't matter.

Thanks

Well there is a solution that should be 100% foolproof and I guess everyone knows what it is. It is creating a database of checksums of known/trusted files if anyone is up to it. Time stamps would then be completely irrelevant,

I'll try to put a list together of all modded/unofficial/patches etc.......

:thumbup

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Even though some of rloew patches are not listed @ MDGx site

if rloew don't mind I would like to continue using them in the Service Pack :thumbup

Not a problem.

I would like to believe that my freely released Mods are "Core" Mods as I described previously.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

This is my first post so just wanted to say thanks for all the work on the service pack. It’s really good to have something like this.

There is one bug (and fix) I’d like to report.

BUG: Cannot open Opera after running U98SESP3.EXE and choosing Main Updates.

Error message is “Opera Failed to load Opera.DLL because: A device attached to the system is not functioning.”

CAUSE: USP10.dll v 1.626.6002.22402

SOLUTION: Revert to v 1.422.3790.3959 of USP10.dll. This is included in RichEd9x.exe available on MDGX website.

Looks like this is an old bug resurfaced: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46581&view=findpost&p=706246

Error message is “Opera Failed to load Opera.DLL because: A device attached to the system is not functioning.”

Hello gherkins,

you are very welcome here! :D

What version of Opera are you running?

If it is Opera 11, you must install first KernelEx,

and then to set KernelEx compatibility of opera.exe (right-click -> Properties -> KernelEx -> Use specific compatibility mode) to Windows 2000 SP4 :) .

No need to reboot.

HTH :)

Charles.

Hi Charles

I tried it with various different versions of Opera, including 11.5 with KernelEx and 10.5 without..

In the end, the only fix was to revert to the older version of usp10.dll.

Once I did that, Opera worked fine.

In the end, the only fix was to revert to the older version of usp10.dll.

Once I did that, Opera worked fine.

Thanks for you testing and findings. I will downgrade USP10.DLL in the next release.

Please note this issue does NOT occur if using Opera 10.10 with newer version of USP10.DLL.

There's a question that hasn't been replied to, ever since the discussion in the other thread: how about usp10.dll v1.471.4030.0? Got it on my system for a long time and K-Meleon is using it. Has anyone else used it? Any issues?

I'm asking because I only see this switch between v1.422.3790.3959 and the apparently incompatible Vista version 1.626.6002.22402 - nothing inbetween. :unsure:

No great help to answer the question you pose, but just in case it helps to shed some light on the topic ... ...

On the W2KSP4 (+ all the official updates including the update roll up, until they stopped) box I use for work, there is usp10.dll ver 1.325.2195.6692 in the winnt\system32 directory.

The payroll program that I use brought its own "improved" version and stashed it with its own executable. The payroll software is updated annually, last time in March 2011. This improved version of usp10.dll is 1.409.2600.1106.

Hope that doesn't cloud the issue too much!

Jeff

I tried installing the SP3 (2011/12/13 edition) on a laptop yesterday. It (the laptop) seemed to have little or no updates over the W98SE installation CD, including for IE5.

There were two errors reported during installation, one for "rsabase.dll" and one for "msxml3.dll".

To fix the "rsabase.dll" error, I installed "ie501dom.exe" (downloaded some time ago from MS) then "ie501sp2.exe" (downloaded from 'evolt.org'; BTW, not sure where to find updates to reach the ie501sp4 level).

To fix the "msxml3.dll" error, I installed :

This suggests the SP3 may be missing a couple of things, to be able to install over an original W98SE installation.

Joe.

I tried installing the SP3 (2011/12/13 edition) on a laptop yesterday. It (the laptop) seemed to have little or no updates over the W98SE installation CD, including for IE5.

There were two errors reported during installation, one for "rsabase.dll" and one for "msxml3.dll".

To fix the "rsabase.dll" error, I installed "ie501dom.exe" (downloaded some time ago from MS) then "ie501sp2.exe" (downloaded from 'evolt.org'; BTW, not sure where to find updates to reach the ie501sp4 level).

This suggests the SP3 may be missing a couple of things, to be able to install over an original W98SE installation.

Joe.

I'm sure if you have installed the right version then you shouldn't get any of the errors you posted above.

rsabase.dll is not included in the SP3 so I don't know where this error is coming from.

Joe.

I'm sure if you have installed the right version then you shouldn't get any of the errors you posted above.

rsabase.dll is not included in the SP3 so I don't know where this error is coming from.

No, I didn't download/install the wrong version. The original SP3 page stated :

U98SESP3.EXE (39 Mb)

(Must have Internet Explorer installed already)

That corresponded to my starting point.

You say (here) that "rsabase.dll is not included in the SP3". Perhaps so, but presumably SP3 has some dependency on "rsabase.dll" that doesn't quite work for a baseline W98SE+IE5 installation?

Now, I see that you've just revised your SP3 page to state :

U98SESP3.EXE (40 Mb)

(Must have Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 or 6.0 SP1 installed already)

I wonder, why is IE 5.5 SP2 being specified as a requirement, when (i) this isn't the starting point when you install from the W98SE CD-ROM and (ii) at least IE 5.01SP2 seems to be sufficient (not sure if "ie501dom" was also required, but I installed this just-in-case, so as to enable 128 bit encryption)?

Joe.

Edited by jds

I wonder, why is IE 5.5 SP2 being specified as a requirement, when (i) this isn't the starting point when you install from the W98SE CD-ROM and (ii) at least IE 5.01SP2 seems to be sufficient (not sure if "ie501dom" was also required, but I installed this just-in-case, so as to enable 128 bit encryption)?

Joe.

Because a lot of updated files require IE 5.5 or IE6.

And yes I did revise the page to specify IE versions so people who is running IE 5.01 would update their browser files.

I'm sorry you having trouble, but there is a simple solution, update IE to one or the other version.

Gapes older version would install on a clean installation.