98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

I thought MSXML 4.0 SP2 supersede older versions. If it doesn't then I can add'em all.

I'm pretty sure that, just like .NET Framework, it doesn't. Occasionally there might be some app or other that requires Msxml.dll rather than Msxml2.dll, for example.

My opinion: make all MSXML versions apart from 2.5 SP3 optional. As I said, 2.5 SP3 is an update for the version that shipped with 98 SE.

Edited by bristols

I thought MSXML 4.0 SP2 supersede older versions. If it doesn't then I can add'em all.

I'm pretty sure that, just like .NET Framework, it doesn't. Occasionally there might be some app or other that requires Msxml.dll rather than Msxml2.dll, for example.

Thanks I will add 2 and 4.

These are the MSXML files I will be adding MSXML 2.5 SP3 + MSXML 4.0 SP2 in the next release.

MSXML.DLL 8.0.7002.0

MSXML4.DLL 4.20.9876.0

MSXML4A.DLL 4.10.9404.0

MSXML4R.DLL 4.10.9404.0

MSXMLA.DLL 8.0.6730.0

MSXMLR.DLL 8.0.6730.0

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Are you sure? Please check again carefully. I've seen msxml3.* in two IE6-SP1 cabs: IEMIL_3.CAB and IEW2K_4.CAB, which would belong to Millenium and 2000, respectively. Since we're talking about a 98SE package, let's make sure that MSXML3 is actually installed under Win98SE.

Web installer? Hmmm... What would that be? I have a (presumably) full package of IE6-SP1 somewhere on my HDD, complete with language packs. Could you check whether my package misses something?

And somebody tell me why can't I upload a file to MSFN !?!

IE6 file list

Edited by Drugwash

... an Internet connection capped at 5GB monthly, after which the download speed will become ridiculously low to be usable.

My current IE folder is 72,489,803 bytes, containing the files in the above-posted list. Last time I did a so-called web update, I remember having selected "download only" or something similar (after having selected all possible options,including language packs), so that all missing packages were downloaded and stored in the IE6 folder, so I assumed the folder would contain a full IE6 install kit. Don't forget there may be situations where a machine can't connect to the Internet right away (or ever), so the offline IE install kit should contain everything possible

[EDIT]

Forgot to say that certain IE6 libraries may actually be required by some applications to be able to run/display properly. MS released (deliberately or not - this is not the point right now) some system libraries only together with IE6 and in time, programmers took advantage of these updates, so whatever 9x-compatible applications out there, may well require these libraries. So it's not just a matter of "I hate IE so I remove it from my system", but a simple compatibility issue: if you want certain applications to run, you better update and keep all your IE libraries in your system. If you want, you may rename IEXPLORE.EXE to something else, as I did long ago, but removing all IE-related libraries from a system is a big mistake in my not-so-newbish opinion.

Edited by Drugwash

The more important that someone puts together a really fully package for offline installation, should anything happen to the online "pipe". Supposedly that would've been the case with soporific's UBCD, but I'm not sure it actually did contain the complete package.

Fortunately, yesterday I managed to revive my broken PM9MS mobo by replacing 5 gonflated capacitors (to a total of 19 replaced on that mobo since I got it), so I could now mount a spare HDD on the other machine and try to put together a full IE6 package through a web install. But that'll take some time and only after I get to cook something for the next week, coz working on an empty stomach is not pleasant. ;)

Edited by Drugwash