98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

You really need to try harder... I explained the best I could...

First key contains the path to the folder to be renamed but it does not contain the folder name!

Second key contains only the folder name, without the path.

That's how it should look like (theoretically - not tested); considering the mess that's in that inf, it would take me too long to analyze and fix it. If it works as is, fully, it's truly a miracle.:blink:

;MSJET SP8
HKLM, "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RenameFiles\MyDir",,, "%PROGRAMF%\%COMMON%\%SHARED%"
HKLM, "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RenameFiles\MyDir", REPLICAT.0,, "Replication Manager 4.0"

Edited by Drugwash

You really need to try harder... I explained the best I could...

Before I even posted here, I been working on this the last 3 days with no success, How harder do you want me to try? :huh:

HKLM, "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RenameFiles\MyDir",,, "%PROGRAMF%\%COMMON%\%SHARED%"

HKLM, "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RenameFiles\MyDir", REPLICAT.0,, "Replication Manager 4.0"

It still does not create the long file name, but thank you for trying. Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

You're probably right... we all have our limits.

The folder should be created on a file copy operation; apparently this operation does not run, for some reason. Until the copy operation succeeds and the folder is created, no renaming will take place.

Now, if the folder is created but the rename fails, then the problem may reside in the original 8+3 folder name - how did you come up with REPLICAT.0? I don't have any such folder in that path so can't check if the name is correct. You may also try with or without quotes around REPLICAT.0.

It also occured to me that this renaming might have to take place at some other time or in a previously/later run inf.

Of course, the issue may reside in a completely different place, but the file is large and complicated and I can't get to the bottom of this right now, so please try a few more workarounds if/when possible.

You're probably right... we all have our limits.

The folder should be created on a file copy operation; apparently this operation does not run, for some reason. Until the copy operation succeeds and the folder is created, no renaming will take place.

Now, if the folder is created but the rename fails, then the problem may reside in the original 8+3 folder name - how did you come up with REPLICAT.0? I don't have any such folder in that path so can't check if the name is correct. You may also try with or without quotes around REPLICAT.0.

It also occured to me that this renaming might have to take place at some other time or in a previously/later run inf.

Of course, the issue may reside in a completely different place, but the file is large and complicated and I can't get to the bottom of this right now, so please try a few more workarounds if/when possible.

The folder does create and all the files copy. It just won't rename to the long file name. REPLICAT.0 is the name of the folder

when I install the MS installer and view it as a short name.

Try to put the rename-related keys in a separate inf file and launch it after the main file, see if it works that way.

Although - after a little bit of thinking - just adding the relevant missing strings to the Strings section might fix it:

[Version]
Signature="$Chicago$"

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=RegEntries

[RegEntries]

[Strings]
PROGRAMF = "Program files"
COMMON = "Common files"
SHARED = "Microsoft shared"
;REPLMAN = "Replication Manager 4.0"

UPDATES WILL CONTINUE IF ANY BUGS OCCUR OR IF ANY NEW FILES ARE COMPATIBLE.

Glad you sorted out the folder naming problem!

Just one suggestion ProblemChyld.

Are you declaring this to be a final release of SP3?

If so, it should be called 3.0 and should not then be subsequently altered.

Any subsequent fixes or additions should be SP3.1, 3.2 etc.

The title of this thread should be changed to "98 SE SP 3" too, or a new thread started.

Drop the "beta" if it no longer is a beta.

:)

Edited by Dave-H

Glad you sorted out the folder naming problem!

Just one suggestion Problemchyld.

If you are declaring this to be a final release of SP3, it should be 3.0 and should not then be subsequently altered.

Any subsequent fixes or additions should be SP3.1, 3.2 etc.

The title of this thread should be changed to 98 SE SP 3 too, or a new thread started!

Drop the "Beta" if it no longer is a beta.

:)

A mod would have to change the title, or I would have to start a new thread. Its not quite final yet but pretty dang close and its not beta anymore either.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I vaguely recall having had some problems with MSXML 4.0, but that was years ago and can't remember the details. If it's not mandatory, you may add it as an optional package. It's worth waiting for other opinions too, maybe it was just me and my notorious bad luck.

I'm going to add MSXML 4.0 SP 2, are there an objections?

Have you added MSXML 2.5?

Windows 98 SE shipped with MSXML 2.0b (Msxml.dll). MSXML 2.5 SP3 (direct download) was the last version that retained that file name (build 8.00.6730.0). MSXML 2.6 was Msxml2.dll, version 3 was Msxml3.dll, and so on.

List of Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) versions.