98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

• 1 month later...

Does this SP 3.0 BETA 4 contain MDAC or it must be installed manually?

p.s. Project is alive or not?

1. No, MDAC is not part of this SP.

MDAC is an optional component, and Gape included only necessary/essential components in the SP.

MDAC can be installed [separately] from Maximus-Decim's package (MDDACU 2.0), updated March 2010:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=93448

or by hand [separate components + updates] at my site, where you can also find links for MDDACU 2.0:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#DAC

2. We haven't heard from Gape in a long time. :-(

I've also been asked to take over this project, and I recommended erpdude8 as a better choice [he has experience with 98FE SP2 + 95OSR2 SP1, which are similar].

So I guess it's safe to assume Gape may not come back to update the SP, unless some1 knows different.

HTH

Czech translation of the final Service Pack 3.0 BETA 4.

Download here: ricrdsson.ic.cz/nsp.html

I contacted Ricrdsson, whole project nSP 3.0 CS it's now guest on winpack.org.

I've added a link to Czech 3.0 B4 here:

98 SE SP2 3.0 Beta 4 Test [20.9 MB, Czech]:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/SP30B4CZ.EXE

More info (Czech):

http://www.winpack.org/

HTH

Have any of the crack programmers on this board taken a close look at the conflict between the new IO.SYS and SCANREG.EXE (the DOS version)?

In brief, if you replace IO.SYS with Microsoft's fixed version (included in all these 98 SE Service Packs since at least v1.6.2, I believe), then SCANREG.EXE will think your registry is screwed up, replace it with a backup, and reboot. To prevent this from happening every time you boot (which would result in a loop), the service packs just turn off running SCANREG.EXE at boot. (SCANREGW.EXE, the Windows version, still runs and backs up your registry once a day.)

Does anyone know why this happens? The fix to IO.SYS supposedly had nothing to do with accessing large files like the registry. I thought it was just supposed to handle disk errors better.

That's the only concern I have with the service pack so far. It'd be nice if both disk error handling and SCANREG.EXE worked correctly!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

SLIP STREAM:

I am wanting to use the "slip stream" method given in the readme file. As explained this will only apply the updates which replace already existing files - not the updates that give new files. So I am wondering what updates will I need to apply the "old fashioned" way, as the readme doesn't list either the updates that work this was nor the updates that don't.

Thanks in advance.

Have any of the crack programmers on this board taken a close look at the conflict between the new IO.SYS and SCANREG.EXE (the DOS version)?

In brief, if you replace IO.SYS with Microsoft's fixed version (included in all these 98 SE Service Packs since at least v1.6.2, I believe), then SCANREG.EXE will think your registry is screwed up, replace it with a backup, and reboot. To prevent this from happening every time you boot (which would result in a loop), the service packs just turn off running SCANREG.EXE at boot. (SCANREGW.EXE, the Windows version, still runs and backs up your registry once a day.)

Does anyone know why this happens? The fix to IO.SYS supposedly had nothing to do with accessing large files like the registry. I thought it was just supposed to handle disk errors better.

That's the only concern I have with the service pack so far. It'd be nice if both disk error handling and SCANREG.EXE worked correctly!

From what I remember from the old discussions here at MSFN, it may have to do with this MSDOS.SYS option, which must be set to read SystemReg=0 .

IO.SYS "tells" the OS to scan + backup the registry by running this command:

SCANREG /FIX

during the native DOS part of the boot process (before Windows GUI loads).

More scanreg info:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-1.htm#SCANREG98

And this happens because that particular IO.SYS update (WINBOOT.SYS = renamed to IO.SYS and installed in C:\ root by MSKB Q311561 fix) is somehow broken, and sends the OS boot process into a loop [?], if SystemReg=1, which is the default setting if no SystemReg= line exists in MSDOS.SYS (+ WINBOOT.INI, if any) under the [Options] section.

WINBOOT.INI guide:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip16.htm#WBINI

HTH

Sorry for coming into this topic so late, but has anyone ever tested compatibility with 98lite?

First and foremost this is the app I need compatibility with, followed by KernelEx.

Also...

If it does work with 98lite, does anyone know if I can slip-stream in just the updates, and do a "clean install" with 98lite? Will the newer slip-streamed files get copied over by 98lite?

-Edit-

Actually, yes it does work with 98lite. 98lite copied over all of the updated files

Problem is that even with a original (non-98lited) install, this SP creates all sorts of blue-screen crashes, and errors.

Not worth using, especially if it messes with my ability to use disc burning software.

Edited by HardDriv'n

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gape is possible publish my Spanish translation Win98SE Service Pack 3.0 Beta 4. :}

To my knowledge Gape is not available for the time being.

But if you have a Spanish SP installer, please either e-mail it to me [rename the .exe extension to something like .exx (otherwise won't be accepted as attachment by my e-mail provider)] or e-mail me the link if you wish to post it on a site like MF (free to upload + download up to 30 days).

As soon as I'll get it, I'll post it at my site, where it can be downloaded from (no expiration date).

Thanks.

Best,

MDGx