98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

Same here. Updated Sysdm.cpl to version 4.10.2223 via MDGx's Q216204.exe and found that System Properties didn't give any CPU info at all. It just displayed the installed RAM, and my CPU is a Mobile Pentium III, one of the processors listed in Microsoft's KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216204

I finally reverted back to 4.10.2222 using System File Checker to restore the original Sysdm.cpl from my Win98SE cab files. It took a few tries before I realized that Q216204.exe placed a backup updated copy of Sysdm.cpl in \Windows\Options\Cabs. :rolleyes: At least the original version gave a generic CPU description as you stated.

yeah. not sure why Microsoft chose to remove CPU identification with versions 4.10.2223 (Q216204) and 4.10.2224 (Q272620/Q272621) of the SYSDM.CPL file for Win98se. It's a "cheap" way to fix the problem of the sysdm.cpl file incorrectly identifying newer CPUs when MS could have added new CPU info types onto it.

Note to Gape: I have version 4.10.2223 of the USBMON.DLL and USBPRINT.SYS files from Q268656. These two files are bundled with certain Canon/HP/Lexmark USB printer drivers and are needed for USB printers to work properly under Win98se. Let me know if you need them.

Edited by erpdude8

• 2 weeks later...

Note to Gape: I have version 4.10.2223 of the USBMON.DLL and USBPRINT.SYS files from Q268656. These two files are bundled with certain Canon/HP/Lexmark USB printer drivers and are needed for USB printers to work properly under Win98se. Let me know if you need them.
Hi !

While we wait for Gape to do the update, is it possible for you to share the files you mention here for all in the meantime?

You can upload the files here, or if they are not too large, I can even host the files you mentioned at my site.

Email is penang1 _at_ hotmail _dot_ com

Thank you for reading

• 4 weeks later...

it's normal when i stop MPREXE.EXE i got a mega fatal extra big fatal error (WHITE SCREEN OF DEATH WSOD)? i know, i like to crash Windows and stopping some services process :whistle: on Windows 95, it doesn't do that, it just don't show the browser and shut down some applications.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello erp!

I'm back from the [almost] dead, and I mean that literally.

I'm finally able to catch up on e-mail, forums, etc. and noticed this recent thread, so I assume you and others are well. [i've been out of the hospital for 6 weeks now, so it appears I'll live.]

Can you give me the short version:

What is the reasonable consensus on what is the most effective SP-related procedure to follow today? Are we using SP2.1a, or is there something stable newer? Is something *almost* stable awaiting something with an end in sight? Is there a work-around to make useful something beyond SP2.1a? What?

cjl [enquiring near-death-experience survivors want to know] :wacko:

Hello erp!

I'm back from the [almost] dead, and I mean that literally.

I'm finally able to catch up on e-mail, forums, etc. and noticed this recent thread, so I assume you and others are well. [i've been out of the hospital for 6 weeks now, so it appears I'll live.]

Can you give me the short version:

What is the reasonable consensus on what is the most effective SP-related procedure to follow today? Are we using SP2.1a, or is there something stable newer? Is something *almost* stable awaiting something with an end in sight? Is there a work-around to make useful something beyond SP2.1a? What?

cjl [enquiring near-death-experience survivors want to know] :wacko:

I use all of Maximum-Decim's packages (Mdcu305e, MDDACU15E and MDIE6CU26E) for the basic upgrades, he seems to be continually updating them from time to time.

Edited by gkar

I second what gkar wrote ... as for myself ... after a new install of Win 98SE, I run Gape's older SP2.1a update then I run the latest updates by Maximum-Decim ... which are the 3 mentioned by gkar. Then I do all my settings - colors, sounds, whatever ... install the programs I want --- clean the registry, do a System Files Check, run Scan Disk and Defrag and then I make a backup copy with Ghost 2003 or 8.3 ... I made my last Ghost backups in Feb and don't plan on doing any more ... I have 3 notebooks with Win 98SE and those Ghost cds (for each notebook) are now my "Win 98SE install" disk whenever I mess something up. In less than 15 minutes I'm all setup, I have a few updates to do also ... but it sure makes for a speedy re-install.

I agree with duffy98 and gkar. I only wish to add that after the three MDCUs I always also add NUSB. While not exacly an update, it's a must. After that I, too, create a Ghost image and that's that.

Hi dencorso .... yes, I also add NUSB ... but it is included in the Mdcu305e update. ... maximus-decim takes care of everything !

Maximus Decim Cumulative Update ver.3.05 for Windows 98SE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Includes more than 100 updates received from service WindowsUpdate and from Microsoft web site.

* Native (without installation of additional drivers for each type) support USB flash drives (NUSB 3.3).

* Native support WIA and PTP (WIA 1.1).

* Universal Stack USB 2.0 (without installation of additional drivers for each chipsets) with uninstall.

* Support for hard drives larger than 137GB (BHDD 3.1).

* Zip-folders (Optional components)

* Spider Solitaire (Optional components)

* The detailed description of the order of installation Windows 98SE, necessary updates and components.

... just wanted to add that info.

• 2 weeks later...

Off-topic question for the mods.

I have had several e-mail notifications that someone has added a post to this topic, but when I click on the link it goes to the thread but there's no new post present.

It's just happened again (possibly the third time) with the information that someone called "lantastic81" has posted here.

That user name doesn even seem to exist!

Any idea why this is happening?

It's not a big deal, just curious!

Thanks, Dave.

:)

There is a group of people that keeps posting provocative messages addressed to certain members of the board and moderators; when identified, respective posts are being deleted and the poster's nickname banned/removed. You most likely check the thread(s) after this operation, that is why you see no new posts.

If you change your board preferences to receive the post contents in the e-mail, you'll see what's all about.

Ah, I wondered if that might be the case.

The moderators must be really quick deleting the posts!

Thanks for your suggestion Drugwash to include the post contents in my notifications, I'll do that.

I can always switch the option off again!

:)

Yep, just got another notification, with the contents of the message this time!

This is just so sad. So much hate.

I really hope the person concerned finds some sort of closure very soon, this is just self destructive.

:no:

This has been going on for too long to be just a person/group's overflowing frustration. I fear it's much more than that but as always the evidence is circumstantial at best so let's leave it as is.

I agree with duffy98 and gkar. I only wish to add that after the three MDCUs I always also add NUSB. While not exacly an update, it's a must. After that I, too, create a Ghost image and that's that.

NUSB never installs automatically for me either. After installing Mdcu305e I have to go to the device tree and right click on the "? xxx enhanced usb controller" and update the driver manually even though it is present in the system.

Edited by gkar

What is the reasonable consensus on what is the most effective SP-related procedure to follow today?

uSP3.0 beta 3 is stable as far as I'm concerned. IMO it has been tested long anough to drop the beta statu.

When Gape said "beta" he was very conservative.

AFAIMC, until a new version pops up, uSP3.0 is final.