98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

Gape: excellent, downloaded and I'll try it at lunchtime. How come you decided to remove Metapad, though?

I can add it on the next releases, if I get more request, no problem.

Well done Gape!

You have made a lot of people happy.

I wont be able to test it for a few days until I get a test rig ready as my current computer Win98 machine is in constant use and cannot be risked atm.

I think it is better if you leave Metapad out. Many people don't require an updated replacement for Notepad.

It's a service pack for Win98SE, just fix bugs in the operating system. Keep it simple.

If people want 3rd party products they can easily download and install them themselves.

Again many thanks! :thumbup

Edited by galahs

After installing uSP 2.1a I do encounter a problem:

When I insert CD in one of my drives and immediately open My Computer the whole system freezes (incl. mouse cursor) until the disc in detected. This also happens when I have Nero launched and insert a CD.

There is also another problem: sometimes when I remove CD from the drive, explorer 'thinks' that it is still inserted -> you can see the contents of the CD which isn't present. OR when I insert another CD I see contents of previous CD. But when I try to access anything on it I get a blue screen and system dies.

I have isolated the problem and it is related to CDVSD.VXD 4.10.2226 which is distributed with uSP.

The problem disappears when I install original CDVSD.VXD 4.10.2222.

The problem occured on 3 different computers on which I have installed uSP.

After installing uSP 2.1a I do encounter a problem:

When I insert CD in one of my drives and immediately open My Computer the whole system freezes (incl. mouse cursor) until the disc in detected. This also happens when I have Nero launched and insert a CD.

There is also another problem: sometimes when I remove CD from the drive, explorer 'thinks' that it is still inserted -> you can see the contents of the CD which isn't present. OR when I insert another CD I see contents of previous CD. But when I try to access anything on it I get a blue screen and system dies.

I have isolated the problem and it is related to CDVSD.VXD 4.10.2226 which is distributed with uSP.

The problem disappears when I install original CDVSD.VXD 4.10.2222.

The problem occured on 3 different computers on which I have installed uSP.

Thank you very much. I will try to reproduce it. I also should check that if there are other CDVSD.VXD versions such as 2225, 2224 etc.

I think it is better if you leave Metapad out. Many people don't require an updated replacement for Notepad.

In 2.1a at least it was an optional install; if people don't want it they don't have to install it. It's not like it's a massive increase to the file size, either.

Anyhow, all seems fine so far here. The only comments I would make are that I get "newer file exist" notifications for files relating to HTML Help files (hhupd.dll (?), ltirc.dll, ltss.dll and one other), so I ended up keeping the existing files. I didn't get the chance to check the different version infos, since I'm at work, but maybe this is something else that could be updated?

Windows does seem marginally more sluggish post-install, but that's pretty much unquantifiable, and it's hard to judge on a system like this one anyhow, so I'd maybe see whether anyone else has a similar experience.

Anyhow, all seems fine so far here. The only comments I would make are that I get "newer file exist" notifications for files relating to HTML Help files (hhupd.dll (?), ltirc.dll, ltss.dll and one other), so I ended up keeping the existing files. I didn't get the chance to check the different version infos, since I'm at work, but maybe this is something else that could be updated?

Thanks. I will check it. Maybe there is a newer HTML Help update.

Windows does seem marginally more sluggish post-install, but that's pretty much unquantifiable, and it's hard to judge on a system like this one anyhow, so I'd maybe see whether anyone else has a similar experience.

When ? After rebooting ?

When ? After rebooting ?

Yeah, a bit - explorer windows taking more time than usual to open, for example. Like I said, though, this system is very much atypical (P4 matched with 128MB ram (!) on a dodgy network), so I wouldn't particularly trust it as representative. And it seems to have cleared up a bit now anyhow.

Yeah, a bit - explorer windows taking more time than usual to open, for example. Like I said, though, this system is very much atypical (P4 matched with 128MB ram (!) on a dodgy network), so I wouldn't particularly trust it as representative. And it seems to have cleared up a bit now anyhow.

Could you give me a little more information about your system ? What did you have before installing 3.0a1 ? Did you have 2.1a ? Any other update pack ? IE version ?

Thanks for release, Gape! Changelist looks promising and solid.

Problem:

infex.ini:

[RunPost]

shell.inf,SHELL32.W98

shell.inf:

Explorer.exe,,,4

Shell32.dll,,,4

Oh why the heck? Forcing installing explorer.exe and shell32.dll looks extremely wrong to me. It instantly breaks Revolutions Pack or 98SE2ME Option 3, why'd you do that? That'll also break 98Lite as well. Or that is supposed to run if shell32.w98 is NOT present? Looks like wrong way.

Those files should copy only if shell32.dll version is 4.72.*.

One more [minor] thing: infex main window hangs while installing INF. I think just disabling window and checking if process still running (via timer / GetProcessVersion/GetExitCodeProcess or directly in message loop) will be right thing.

Edited by Tihiy

Oh why the heck? Forcing installing explorer.exe and shell32.dll looks extremely wrong to me. It instantly breaks Revolutions Pack or 98SE2ME Option 3, why'd you do that? That'll also break 98Lite as well. Or that is supposed to run if shell32.w98 is NOT present? Looks like wrong way.

Those files should copy only if shell32.dll version is 4.72.*.

One more [minor] thing: infex main window hangs while installing INF. I think just disabling window and checking if process still running (via timer / GetProcessVersion/GetExitCodeProcess or directly in message loop) will be right thing.

About shell.inf installation, I didn't focus it on the this release.

But you are right. Both of them are fixed for the next release. ;)

Could you give me a little more information about your system ? What did you have before installing 3.0a1 ? Did you have 2.1a ? Any other update pack ? IE version ?

It had 2.1a and IE6 (up to date afaik), but no other update pack. Unfortunately I won't be using it for the rest of the week, so I can't check beyond that. TBH the difference was marginal and barely tangible, it's only because I'm used to the foibles of the computers at my work that I noticed.

HTH.