98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

I think if possible later "Copy2Gb by LLXX " should be included too.

The Copy2Gb fix by LLXX was later revised by an anonymous author and updated the KERNEL32.DLL file for Win98se to version 4.10.2226. latest version of the Copy2GB fix will be included in the next release along with the revised U891711 patch that now has KB891711.EXE version 4.10.2227.

The Copy2Gb fix by LLXX was later revised by an anonymous author and updated the KERNEL32.DLL file for Win98se to version 4.10.2226.

Why did the author updated it to 4.10.2226 and not to 4.10.2223. With Service pack 2.1a installed the kernel is 4.10.2222 A. :(

Wow, this thread remained silent for over a month.

Why did the author updated it to 4.10.2226 and not to 4.10.2223. With Service pack 2.1a installed the kernel is 4.10.2222 A. :(

No, SESP2.1a contained kernel32.dll version 4.10.2225.

4.10.2222 A is Windows version displayed on system properties tab.

Petr

Why don't you add /5.50.4807.2300 versions browselc.dll/browseui.dll

since it fixes the deleting large file bug.

you can also use File Manager [winfile.exe] to work around the problem and just delete the large number of files from within File Manager instead of Windows Explorer. WinFile does not hang when removing a very large number of files from there. sure, Winfile does not understand long filenames but there is an add-on called FMLFNs that provides long filename support for Win9xME's File Manager applet. Get FMLFNs here:

http://www.wincorner.com/files/fmlfns95.exe

Thanks erpdude8

sure, Winfile does not understand long filenames but there is an add-on called FMLFNs that provides long filename support for Win9xME's File Manager applet. Get FMLFNs here:

http://www.wincorner.com/files/fmlfns95.exe

The disappointing thing about this add-on is that it installs a TSR. :( Does anyone know if it's possible for Winfile to support LFNs without having to load this TSR?

The disappointing thing about this add-on is that it installs a TSR. :( Does anyone know if it's possible for Winfile to support LFNs without having to load this TSR?

nope. FMLFNS loads at startup in the Windows registry which can easily be disabled from MSConfig or you can delete the FMLFNS startup registry entry and prevent it from loading.

personally, I delete the registry entry and then run FMLFNS manually by double-clicking on FMLFNS.EXE from the Windows\System folder. I created a shortcut icon to the FMLFNS.exe file on the desktop.

would it be better to use File Manager from Windows NT 4.0 SP6a since it has support already for LFNs

no you can NOT, PROBLEMCHYLD! The NT4 version of Winfile.exe is incompatible with Win95/98/ME and you WILL get a "link to missing export SHELL32.DLL:StrChrW" error message if you attempt to run the NT4 edition of File Manager under Win95/98/ME. Looks like NT4 Winfile.exe requires the "unicode" versions of Shell32.dll (or the NT editions of Shell32.dll) in order for it to work.

AND some mentioned earlier that the Win9x version of Winfile.exe is a 16-bit app while the NT4 version of Winfile.exe is a 32-bit app.

Edited by erpdude8

gape:

When you update the SP, you may want to include this small updated CAB file [attached at bottom of this post].

The original %windir%\RUNHELP.CAB file is buggy, because it contains an outdated certificate, which returns an error message when you run %windir%\HTMLHELP.HTM :

Security Warning

A certificate has expired.

etc...

the user must click Yes every time to continue running HTML Help [%windir%\HH.EXE], otherwise nothing happens.

I have recreated RUNHELP.CAB [contains RUNHELP.INF] without the expired certificate.

Running HTMLHELP.HTM now properly runs HTML Help.

File size is now smaller: reduced from 6325 to 192 bytes.

RUNHELP.CAB [right-click to save the CAB file]

HTH

Edited by MDGx

• 2 weeks later...
gape:

When you update the SP, you may want to include this small updated CAB file [attached at bottom of this post].

The original %windir%\RUNHELP.CAB file is buggy, because it contains an outdated certificate, which returns an error message when you run %windir%\HTMLHELP.HTM :

Security Warning

A certificate has expired.

etc...

the user must click Yes every time to continue running HTML Help [%windir%\HH.EXE], otherwise nothing happens.

I have recreated RUNHELP.CAB [contains RUNHELP.INF] without the expired certificate.

Running HTMLHELP.HTM now properly runs HTML Help.

File size is now smaller: reduced from 6325 to 192 bytes.

RUNHELP.CAB [right-click to save the CAB file]

HTH

MDGx, I am wondering if Win98 FE [first edition] may also have RUNHELP.CAB file that has the expired certificate. If so, can you re-create the one for Win98fe too?

ok, I have also tested this problem under WinME and running HTMLHELP.HTM under ME also produces the "expired certificate" error. so can you also re-create the RUNHELP.CAB file for WinME?

Edited by erpdude8

What about a full Service Pack with all Official/Unofficial updates included + performance tweaks.

This Pack should include but optional but with ALL the latest files

If possible maybe these updates can be stripped down to important essentials ONLY

IE 6

Direct X 9c

Dotnetfx 1 & 2

Mdac 2.8

Wmi

Wmp

everything else is a go

all Official/Unofficial + performance tweaks.

NO 3RD PARTY APPS

all its gonna do is increase the size.

besides people will prefer the apps they wanna use.

This will be nice for people that don't have a internet connection

but can maybe burn it to a CDR to keep they system in top shape.

It should go like this install Win98SE then the Service Pack.

Thats it

you should get a message displaying your system is up to date.

WinXP SP2 was huge so their should no complaints cuz this shouldn't be neraly as big.

BOTTOM LINE

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Perhaps some of us should create some sort of Critical Fixes Package (Security fixes, IE6SP1, various other important patches), as a sort-of alternative, updated unofficial SP for Win98SE...

I find it strange that Gape has not posted in this thread in ages. Maybe he has moved on to bigger, better things?

MDGx, I am wondering if Win98 FE [first edition] may also have RUNHELP.CAB file that has the expired certificate. If so, can you re-create the one for Win98fe too?

ok, I have also tested this problem under WinME and running HTMLHELP.HTM under ME also produces the "expired certificate" error. so can you also re-create the RUNHELP.CAB file for WinME?

All these CAB + INF files are identical in 98 (FE), 98 SE + ME.

The RUNHELP.CAB I created can be used with all Windows 98 + ME editions.

No need to create separate files for each OS.

New:

Now RUNHELP.CAB + HTMLHELP.HTM are replaced automatically with fixed versions in 98 (FE)/98 SP1/98 SE/ME by running RUNHELP.EXE [62 KB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/RUNHELP.EXE

Enjoy.

Edited by MDGx

PROBLEMCHYLD,

I know! I'd dearly love a no muss, no fuss 98SE install. Right now it's a meticulous process. Not for the weak of heart or patience. One really must love 9x to go through the whole thing.

Here's hoping there is something on the way. Heck, I'd pay! I recently contributed to Project64's N64 emulator beta project hoping they'd finish that thing soon. And I don't have $ to throw around. But if it would help something like this get done I'm sure I'm not the only one who would support it. Too many things can, and do (for me), go wrong with this complicated conglomeration of Service Pack's, individual updates, and program installs.

I just hope it will leave most registry tweaking out, or at least make them optional. The 98 Upgrade Pack is an example of something I didn't like. It chose the author's preferences for how he liked his registry tweaked. After spending time undoing most of them I just formatted and started fresh. Now I just use his IEbugfix.exe to patch the Explorer slowdown issues with IE6SP1 installed and go with Gape and MDGx for everything else.

But I do find it tough to get through it all in the present state of affairs.

Wow! I just noticed this -

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=80800

Now, isn't that the motherload! Auto-Patching, eh? I like Auto. GetRight couldn't start the download properly so I've got Internet Explorer doing it. It's big and a slow download so who knows if I'll get it properly.

That thing looks amazing! Maybe there's some help on the horizon, eh?

Edited by Eck

If you can

could you remove the webtv update?

But some people may want and/or need it, PROBLEMCHYLD. It is an update to a component of Windows 98 SE (yes, it's an optional component; but it's a component available to users on the setup disk, who may have chosen a full installation).

Come on, think about other users here.

Edited by bristols