98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

I plan to add a dedicated backup + restore function of all 98SE2ME replaced files for options 1 + 2.

-that's fantastic news, MDGx...

-having to use the -FULL- OS restore, losing updates/apps/settings changes ever since the backup date, is a real pain... there must be a relatively easy way to backup/restore only the replaced files (some kind of loop, reading a simple filename data file containing the list to backup/replace/restore? In a few weeks I *may* be taking a forced 2-month hiatus from school; if so I'll do some research and see if I can put some of my strong old-time programming skills to work here... off the top of my head, the data file could be plain-text, with just each filename to replace, it's dir #, and it's MS cab #; the program could sort the list by cab #, and combine the extract statement, perhaps speeding up the extraction process, copy the files to be replaced to *.*-save, etc...)

I plan to add a dedicated backup + restore function of all 98SE2ME replaced files for options 1 + 2.

-that's fantastic news, MDGx...

-having to use the -FULL- OS restore, losing updates/apps/settings changes ever since the backup date, is a real pain... there must be a relatively easy way to backup/restore only the replaced files (some kind of loop, reading a simple filename data file containing the list to backup/replace/restore? In a few weeks I *may* be taking a forced 2-month hiatus from school; if so I'll do some research and see if I can put some of my strong old-time programming skills to work here... off the top of my head, the data file could be plain-text, with just each filename to replace, it's dir #, and it's MS cab #; the program could sort the list by cab #, and combine the extract statement, perhaps speeding up the extraction process, copy the files to be replaced to *.*-save, etc...)

Thanks a bunch for your time + concern.

Please let me know if you come up with something.

I do appreciate a skilled programmer's input.

The thing is if I depend on a user to have all 98SE CABs present either on the HD or pop in the 98SE setup CD for restore purposes, that means I have to come up with yet another popup message to tell the user to do this [similar to having all ME CABs in 1 place].

I'm thinking more in the line of backing up all replaced files directly from within their directories to another place on the HD, similar to the USB [option 8] backup function.

Quote from READ1ST.TXT:

Original files backed up into %windir%\SYSTEM.USB ,

%windir%\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS.USB + %windir%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS.USB .

How to restore your original files:

- Open Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> select "98SE2ME Option 8:

Restore Win98 SE USB, FireWire + WDM Drivers" -> click Add/Remove button ->

reboot.

OR:

- (Double)-click on C:\9!M\USBRES.BAT .

Quoted from 98SE2ME.BAT:
ECHO Option 8 installs WinME: USB, FireWire (IEEE 1394), Audio + WDM

ECHO Drivers into %windir%\SYSTEM , %windir%\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS ,

ECHO %windir%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS + %windir%\INF .

ECHO.

ECHO Your original files will be backed up into %windir%\SYSTEM.USB ,

ECHO %windir%\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS.USB + %windir%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS.USB .

ECHO How to restore your original files:

ECHO Open Control Panel, select Add/Remove Programs, select "98SE2ME Option

ECHO 8: Restore Win98 SE USB, FireWire + WDM Drivers", click Add/Remove

ECHO button and then reboot.

Please see USB2ME.BAT + USBDOS.BAT [in Notepad] for option 8 backup function.

Please see USBRES.BAT for option 8 restore function.

Hope this helps.

Dunno if this is already covered territory:

Any information about KB269388? [i have 269388USA8.EXE.]

It appears that the SP 2.1a gets us to Q259728 [vip.386 4.10.2226] while 269388 gets to vip.386 4.10.2227.

I can't find any KB articles for this one.

cjl

Dunno if this is already covered territory:

Any information about KB269388? [i have 269388USA8.EXE.]

It appears that the SP 2.1a gets us to Q259728 [vip.386 4.10.2226] while 269388 gets to vip.386 4.10.2227.

I can't find any KB articles for this one.

This is probably private hotfix for IBM. Some information is here: http://www.martini-man.com/pub/HPOmnibook/...9388/README.TXT

Petr

This hotfix posted here:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#9SU

* Microsoft Windows 98/98 SE HP Omnibook Portable Computer Docking Error VIP.386 (build 4.10.2003 for Win98/98 SP1 + build 4.10.2227 for Win98 SE) Fix:

http://www.martini-man.com/pub/HPOmnibook/...9388/README.TXT

Direct download [189 KB, English]:

http://www.martini-man.com/pub/HPOmnibook/.../269388USA8.EXE

Hope this helps.

charles,

That Security Update Cd caused flaky Windows behavior for me when installing newer updates afterwards.

Besides, the Unofficial SP is more up to date. The Internet Explorer, WMP, MDAC updates on that cd can be installed manually with the versions the user desires instead of using the cd. The rest of it is outdated and, for me, was flaky.

One thing it did was change the Windows version number. Why did it have to do that?

Microsoft also discontinued it. I have a feeling it was because they got reports of it messing up Windows systems. Originally it worked fine. A few months later I noticed Windows would be wrecked after installing newer updates on top of it. WorksSuite install's would kill my system too. This, whether installing WorksSuite before or after the update cd.

Needless to say, I stopped using that thing.

This hotfix posted here:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#9SU

* Microsoft Windows 98/98 SE HP Omnibook Portable Computer Docking Error VIP.386 (build 4.10.2003 for Win98/98 SP1 + build 4.10.2227 for Win98 SE) Fix:

http://www.martini-man.com/pub/HPOmnibook/...9388/README.TXT

Direct download [189 KB, English]:

http://www.martini-man.com/pub/HPOmnibook/.../269388USA8.EXE

Hope this helps.

Actually. I found it inside of an HP laptop massive update, so that seems to be the same thing; thanks

But no KB article to take some relevant verbiage from [i like to describe them, etc.]

cjl

The thing is if I depend on a user to have all 98SE CABs present either on the HD or pop in the 98SE setup CD for restore purposes...

-oops, I wasn't very expressive towards the end of that post; I meant to do the same thing that you mentioned, back up the files to be replaced... no need for w98 install cabs/cd...

--sry about that, I often post when I can't sleep, so ol' dinosaur brain's all fogged-out, lol...

>;]

[ps: -the part about cab numbers, I meant for the winME cabs/extraction process (which already exists, but will be replaced by that programming loop, which will perform the ME-extraction at the same time, per file, as the backup of the existing w98 file) ]

Do you have a copy of the microsoft securty udate CD that was put out a year ago PsycoUnc ? This helps alot on a new clean install. Bring it up to OCT 2004 with IE update also.

-nope, sry... didn't even know about it, actually... but from reading a few posts here about it, sounds like it's not very safe/reliable... and with sp2.1a, who needs the CD? :thumbup

>;]

does sp2.1a include the MSI support update??

? the only refs to MSI Update I could find were for win2000+ (or, as Petr noted, WinInstaller 2.0; above 2.0 isn't available for w98)

Edited by PsycoUnc

Do you have a copy of the microsoft securty udate CD that was put out a year ago PsycoUnc ? This helps alot on a new clean install. Bring it up to OCT 2004 with IE update also.

-nope, sry... didn't even know about it, actually... but from reading a few posts here about it, sounds like it's not very safe/reliable... and with sp2.1a, who needs the CD? :thumbup

>;]

I know about February 2004 CD only, it can be browsed here: http://maxtor1.slu.edu.ph/Public/SPACK_n_P...MSWindowsSU_CD/ - but there not many updates, and the worst thing - it chages the version from 4.10.2222 A to 4.10.2222B and some programs won't install on such a modified system.

Petr

That being the case, about this is the home for the sesp21a maybe you guys can help. I installed this over my functioning 98se setup and I can't get back into it now. I boot, avg boot scanner runs, thats ok, then the windows screen appears, as it should then eventually it goes into the registry checker screen and starts backing up system files, this is without any prompting at all, then restores them, it says from a previous backup as there was an error in the system files, as you'd expect, then says to restart, and when I do I just cycle through the whole thing again. I can get into safe mode only by pressing F5 during boot, everything looks ok when I'm in there but I can't see anything to fix! It looks ok, no glaring errors or anything. So I'm at a bit of a loss now. there's no sign of the sp in control panel so I can't unistall it, what to do, mes amis? I can only think to sfc everything but that seems laborious!

I'm managing to send this via my new and unfamiliar XP machine, I can't even get email or newsreading going on that yet. ****!!

BB

That being the case, about this is the home for the sesp21a maybe you guys can help. I installed this over my functioning 98se setup and I can't get back into it now. I boot, avg boot scanner runs, thats ok, then the windows screen appears, as it should then eventually it goes into the registry checker screen and starts backing up system files, this is without any prompting at all, then restores them, it says from a previous backup as there was an error in the system files, as you'd expect, then says to restart, and when I do I just cycle through the whole thing again. I can get into safe mode only by pressing F5 during boot, everything looks ok when I'm in there but I can't see anything to fix! It looks ok, no glaring errors or anything. So I'm at a bit of a loss now. there's no sign of the sp in control panel so I can't unistall it, what to do, mes amis? I can only think to sfc everything but that seems laborious!

I'm managing to send this via my new and unfamiliar XP machine, I can't even get email or newsreading going on that yet. ****!!

BB

See if you can get into safe mode [hold control as it's coming up until you get a menu to appear and select safe mode] and hopefully it will stop looping. If so, then use MSCONFIG to turn stuff off. Assuming all that, you should be able to turn off the culprit, likely regarding SFC as you surmised.

Good luck,

cjl