98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

Thanks erpdude.

I don't think I'm going to worry about it.

Updating my ATI video driver I know will cause more problems than it solves!

I'm using the latest version that I found which doesn't have the very annoying bug that the display crashes when switching between full screen DOS and Windows.

When that happens I have no choice but to re-boot. Very annoying.

I'll stop worrying about the missing 2MB, as the system seems to work perfectly well anyway.

I only wondered if anyone knew a definite cause with an easy fix!

Few computer problems come into that category I know!

Cheers, Dave. :)

Thanks erpdude.

I don't think I'm going to worry about it.

Updating my ATI video driver I know will cause more problems than it solves!

I'm using the latest version that I found which doesn't have the very annoying bug that the display crashes when switching between full screen DOS and Windows.

When that happens I have no choice but to re-boot. Very annoying.

I'll stop worrying about the missing 2MB, as the system seems to work perfectly well anyway.

I only wondered if anyone knew a definite cause with an easy fix!

Few computer problems come into that category I know!

Cheers, Dave. :)

the missing 2mb ram problem is barely insignificant. I also booted my WinME machine into safe mode & WinME reported the full 256Mb of memory. that's because in Safe mode, WinME doesnt load my usual Intel 810 video drivers, it loads the Standard VGA driver. when I rebooted to normal mode, WinME reports 255Mb of RAM and I am using the latest Intel 810 video drivers available. this missing ram doesnt bother me as my ME system runs well and there is NO definite fix for it.

I like to see the QFECheck.exe and QFECheck.hlp files added onto Gape's 98se service pack; both of those files are included in the_guy's ME service pack.

• 2 weeks later...

It's great that SP provides two great PowerToys: CommandPromptHere and TweakUI.

There is one more great tool from the past that I would love to see in SP (optional).

It is WinTop (aka Windows Process Watcher, aka top for windows). It is a part of this package:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloa...Toy/Default.asp

I check that it works and it is a perfect tool to actually see what is actually running.

On the site you gave, it says specifically *not* to use that PowerToy with Win98. Have you had any problems using it with 98SE? Just wondering why they say not to....

ivman

It's the wrong one. That page is for Windows 95 only. Sorry.

I check that it works and it is a perfect tool to actually see what is actually running.

On the site you gave, it says specifically *not* to use that PowerToy with Win98. Have you had any problems using it with 98SE? Just wondering why they say not to....

ivman

It's the wrong one. That page is for Windows 95 only. Sorry.

Don't get me wrong. I am not for forcing good tools on chickens who are afraid of trying it.

But read my lips for once: WINTOP WORKS FOR ME ON WINDOWS 98SE.

Sorry, I don't care that the page says win95 only.

REGARDING MY problem

I installed your sesp21a-en.exe

And my 2nd windows98 wouln't boot up

IO.SYS was corrupted etc..................

The file I downloaded from Rapidshare (i think) was corrupt evnthough it passed the MD5 and WINRAR test.

The SP2.CAB was corrupt the rest OK!

So I got a new copy from Majorgeeks. And this time everything went all right!! :-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rapidshare.de, that's the problem! That host sucks IMO, because my download has gotten cut off before when I downloaded a file from them! :realmad:

Also, rapidshare.de will prohibit you from resuming downloads unless you cough up money to them!

Thus I'm forced to completely start over again then pray that the download don't get cut off again! :realmad:

Major Geeks never gave me major problems. In fact, they seem to keep files for a long time.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

If rapidshare provides such poor service, would it be best to not use them at all? Would seem that corrupted packs from rapidshare will bring in more complaints toward the pack than good.

To note: I too highly recommend MajorGeeks. They are often the first mirror I pick if it's available for anything.

• 3 weeks later...
If rapidshare provides such poor service, would it be best to not use them at all? Would seem that corrupted packs from rapidshare will bring in more complaints toward the pack than good.

To note: I too highly recommend MajorGeeks. They are often the first mirror I pick if it's available for anything.

And I highly recommend downloading the 98se SP from Softpedia as well. Majorgeeks and Softpedia allow resuming partially downloaded file transfers w/ download managers & no restrictions.

NEVER get any large size files from Rapidshare unless you have a broadband internet connection like cable, DSL or LAN.

let's tell mamas6667 to NEVER, EVER EVER download the latest version of the 98se service pack from Rapidshare,,,NEVER AGAIN. download only from Majorgeeks and Softpedia sites when using a dial-up connection.

Don't get me wrong. I am not for forcing good tools on chickens who are afraid of trying it.

appp is right. ivman is wrong! sure, RJARRRPCGP, the Wintop powertoy is listed on a Win95 page but Wintop works on all Win9xME systems. I ran Wintop under Win98, 98se & ME and it worked just fine on those 9x versions of Windows. I'm serious!

Edited by erpdude8

appp is right. ivman is wrong! sure, RJARRRPCGP, the Wintop powertoy is listed on a Win95 page but Wintop works on all Win9xME systems. I ran Wintop under Win98, 98se & ME and it worked just fine on those 9x versions of Windows. I'm serious!

This is ivman reporting back in. Actually, I was not speaking as an expert on the app - I was just going by what info was on the site. Here's what I actually said in my only post on this subject: "On the site you gave, it says specifically *not* to use that PowerToy with Win98. Have you had any problems using it with 98SE? Just wondering why they say not to...."

Are there not apps made for Win95 that WON'T work on Win98?!? When the page specifically says not to use the app on Win98SE, what was I to assume? How can one be "wrong" when all he does is quote the info on the download site?!? Sheesh! You might more correctly say the download site is wrong.

Since then, on the recommendations of others on this thread, I *have* tried it on my Win98SE, and it works fine on my computer too. :yes:

ivman

Rapidshare.de, that's the problem! That host sucks IMO, because my download has gotten cut off before when I downloaded a file from them! :realmad:

Also, rapidshare.de will prohibit you from resuming downloads unless you cough up money to them!

Thus I'm forced to completely start over again then pray that the download don't get cut off again! :realmad:

Major Geeks never gave me major problems. In fact, they seem to keep files for a long time.

Yeah, it's ridiculous for Rapidshare to charge users to have to resume downloads from their site especially for people who use dial-up internet connections.

Note to all downloading the 98se service pack now: AVOID downloading the pack from the Mytempdir.com site. The 98se SP has been removed from that site giving the "The file was removed. Reason: Hosting period expired." error message. Gape might want to remove the link to the Mytempdir.com site off his 98 SE Service Pack page.

I was browsing the windowsbbs.com boards yesterday and noticed a post about the Service Pack.

A moderator there dissed the pack when replying to the question of whether it was safe or recommended to use it. All were in agreement about how dangerous it was to use this thing, and how wonderful Microsoft Windows Update was in providing what is needed to update 98SE.

The kind of work put into the Service Pack and all the other testing, files, and support provided by folks here could not go undefended. So I added my 2 cents, and gave them my order of install so someone there wouldn't go and run it on an already borked 98SE system and then say,"see, it messed up my system."

If anyone wants to jump on the bandwagon

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=52183

Heh, the guy mentioned that he might upgrade to XP since his hardware could handle it, so I said that I upgraded to 98SE from XP since my hardware could handle it! :w00t:

This is ivman reporting back in. Actually, I was not speaking as an expert on the app - I was just going by what info was on the site. Here's what I actually said in my only post on this subject: "On the site you gave, it says specifically *not* to use that PowerToy with Win98. Have you had any problems using it with 98SE? Just wondering why they say not to...."

Are there not apps made for Win95 that WON'T work on Win98?!? When the page specifically says not to use the app on Win98SE, what was I to assume? How can one be "wrong" when all he does is quote the info on the download site?!? Sheesh! You might more correctly say the download site is wrong.

Since then, on the recommendations of others on this thread, I *have* tried it on my Win98SE, and it works fine on my computer too. :yes:

ivman

OH GET OVER IT IVMAN! The Wintop issue is now over and done with. END OF STORY. PERIOD! MOVE ON!

I was browsing the windowsbbs.com boards yesterday and noticed a post about the Service Pack.

A moderator there dissed the pack when replying to the question of whether it was safe or recommended to use it. All were in agreement about how dangerous it was to use this thing, and how wonderful Microsoft Windows Update was in providing what is needed to update 98SE.

The kind of work put into the Service Pack and all the other testing, files, and support provided by folks here could not go undefended. So I added my 2 cents, and gave them my order of install so someone there wouldn't go and run it on an already borked 98SE system and then say,"see, it messed up my system."

If anyone wants to jump on the bandwagon

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=52183

Heh, the guy mentioned that he might upgrade to XP since his hardware could handle it, so I said that I upgraded to 98SE from XP since my hardware could handle it! :w00t:

well, I would say that the 98se SP is NOT for every Win98se user out there since it does have the potential of breaking a Win98se computer. when I tested the SP on and old Win98se computer, it worked fine. when few other win98se users tested out the SP they found problems with it. so it isnt for everyone. results of installing the Win98se service pack will vary.

like Gape said in another post, nobody cant create a "perfect" service pack because it will cause some problems with some users (I'm paraphrasing what he said).

BTW, Eck - is that guy who mentioned he is upgrading to WinXP, will he install XP SP2? I know that SP2 will cause some problems with some old software and some hardware because MS noted the problems in their KB articles. XP users may have to upgrade some of their apps to be fully XP SP2 compatible.