98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

I use Win98 more than my Win 7 machine. Take consideration, I don't used a computer everyday either.

I'm going to dual boot a Win XP and Win98 machine when the WinXP SP4 is done.

I have had a vacation, I read most of the time now. I might post 5 times every couple months. I'm not as active anymore either.

A very big thanks to God for giving me life to do this, and to

Gape, MDGx, erpdude8, Petr, CLASYS, Tihiy, DuckDaffy, eGorZ, swgreed, hp38guser, safir, sybesma, ssmokee, HSI, Tarun, azagahl, DanyBoss, miko, eidenk, sleffing, Drugwash, rloew, dencorso, jds, Fredledingue, gerislamico, Nexus_06, loblo, bphlpt, jaclaz, LoneCrusader, TmEE, Dave-H, RFMaster and all other contributors !

I couldn't have done this without you guys. Thanks to all of the testers who help me fixed the bugs.

13,000+ downloads in 7 months not including the main site or other sites, feeds, torrents or the past downloads etc.......

The reason for this post is, I'm starting to lose interest in Win98. We are at a stand still and the most valuable people aren't as active. I will create a Windows ME SP fully updated like Win98 SE. My lack of knowledge is limited, so the SP can only go so far. I hope you guys understand, that we are moving to extinction because of the limitations. I have grown over time and realize a lot of issues occur from clashing egos. Imagine if I charged a $1 for the SP, I would be living lovely. Its not about money, its about surviving and we are expiring. I'm hoping to coincide with many of you legends praying I become one someday as well.

Good job on the service pack. When I used 98 your service pack was important to my computer. I don't want to admit it but it's true that our community had died a bit. I hope someday when you leave someone will take up the project. Who knows maybe after 10th-11th grade I will.

I've used 98se everyday at work for more than year now- thanks to the people in this forum. Since the IT guys couldn't get xp to reactivate I reinstalled with dual boot. It's the only 98se computer on the network with about 7 xp computers. My concern is what happens when they upgrade to Win7 or 8? Can 98se access files on win7 or visa versa?

I've used 98se everyday at work for more than year now- thanks to the people in this forum. Since the IT guys couldn't get xp to reactivate I reinstalled with dual boot. It's the only 98se computer on the network with about 7 xp computers. My concern is what happens when they upgrade to Win7 or 8? Can 98se access files on win7 or visa versa?

I don't know about Win8, but Win7 has no problems with connecting. http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/154025-connecting-a-windows-98-and-windows-7-through-a-network/?hl=dsclient

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I think USP 3.33 has a bug. After installing the SP, screen resolution reverts to 640x480, 16 colors, and it can only be fixed by re-installing the VGA drivers.... did anyone else notice this?

Strange...

Hi, I think USP 3.33 has a bug. After installing the SP, screen resolution reverts to 640x480, 16 colors, and it can only be fixed by re-installing the VGA drivers.... did anyone else notice this?

Seems like it shouldn't happen as the USP (AFAIK) has no Video driver/setup related components.

To keep things connected -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171693-windows-98-se-in-depth-questions/

Now, the questions are -

1 - did the drivers initially install correctly? (assuming installed via other topic)

2 - can you possibly tell what hardware/drivers you refer to?

You have nasty habit of providing insufficient info, as is also in this case.

This was tested on 4 machines. The system was installed with my ISO. Windows was fully functional until I installed SP3. The hardware involved was completely unrelated (AMD K5, i430TX, Number Nine Revolution 3D vs. Intel P3 550, VIA Apollo 133, Geforce 2 GTS)...

The SP3 files were unaltered. I installed them manually, even to test. They still broke the resolution....

Shooting in the dark: is it possible some system file(s) fail to get restored (if backed up, that is) at some point during the installation? Thinking of SYSTEM.INI, WIN.INI.

Alternatively, wrong settings may be written to such file. I'm thinking of Tihiy's Safe-Mode patch that installs a few system files and modifies SYSTEM.CB.

Could you check the values in SYSTEM.INI for:

[boot]386grabber=?display.drv=?[386enh]display=?

If you see vgadib.3gr, svga256.drv, vddsvga.386 in there, it's the Safe Mode fix acting up. Otherwise dunno what to say.

ahh, sorry, this one was caused by my own idiocy, I did some stuff with system.ini before the drivers and restored a back up after that, not realizing it of course.

Sorry, my fault :D

• 1 month later...

How can I undo "performance tweaks"?  I have a laptop that freezes when exploring root drives-the cd drive is using compatibility mode for some reason.  Seemed to happen after checking this opt.  I'm only using 512mb ram.