98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

submix8c stated;

" This indicates that Win98SE is ok with ANY of the "versions"...

http://community.lin...ws-98/td-p/4659 "

Actually, the webpage you cited above contains this text;

" Tech Support ... said that v2 and v4 "should" work with 98SE, but v1 will not. "

therefore the webpage you cited does not in fact indicate support for your

statement.

(It may well be that any version of the Linksys WUSB54G will work in Win98SE,

but other webpages I viewed previously (including the one you cited), taken in

total, simply didn't give a clear enough indication as to whether all versions of the

Linksys WUSB54G work in Win98SE - hence I choose to make no statement.)

You are correct that the Linksys WUSB54G requires specific drivers for each

specific version of the Linksys WUSB54G.

You are sadly more correct than you know to give warning of payment required

to download from website http://www.modem-help.co.uk/

(Briefly, that website's business model is to possibly require payment, not to

download drivers, but rather for the bandwidth used to download drivers.)

Unfortunately, a listing on that website of OS drivers for a device should never

be considered or cited as evidence that such OS drivers work, or even exist!

(As an example, we are aware from here;

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158119-intel-prowireless-2200-driver-for-windows98/

regarding Win98 drivers for the Intel Pro 2200bg, as PROBLEMCHYLD put it,

"no matter how far you go back, there was never a driver for Win98."

Despite this, modem-help's owner continues listing alleged drivers for Win98

for the 2200bg on that website, without any reasonable basis for his belief that

they 'might' work, as discussed here;

http://forums.modem-help.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=11411&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

on modem-help's forums.)

Therefore, regarding modem-help.co.uk , 'Caveat Emptor'.

Edited by buyerninety

Correction noted... :blushing:

Addendum as follows

I can attest that v1 will not work with (non-SE) Win 98 and that attempting to do so will crash Win 98.

I've also noted turning off/on certain "security features" allow functioning. Google

wep wpa wusb54g
for some specifics.

Shall we now move on to a New Topic for this?

Edited by submix8c

• 4 weeks later...
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158119-intel-prowireless-2200-driver-for-windows98/

regarding Win98 drivers for the Intel Pro 2200bg, as PROBLEMCHYLD put it,

"no matter how far you go back, there was never a driver for Win98."

Despite this, modem-help's owner continues listing alleged drivers for Win98

for the 2200bg on that website, without any reasonable basis for his belief that

they 'might' work, as discussed here;

http://forums.modem-help.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=11411&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

on modem-help's forums.)

Therefore, regarding modem-help.co.uk , 'Caveat Emptor'.

I wonder if those GOOGLERS ever found the drivers. I searched for years before I gave up because there was never any evidence drivers for Win98 existed.

• 1 month later...

A very big thanks to God for giving me life to do this, and to

Gape, MDGx, erpdude8, Petr, CLASYS, Tihiy, DuckDaffy, eGorZ, swgreed, hp38guser, safir, sybesma, ssmokee, HSI, Tarun, azagahl, DanyBoss, miko, eidenk, sleffing, Drugwash, rloew, dencorso, jds, Fredledingue, gerislamico, Nexus_06, loblo, bphlpt, jaclaz, LoneCrusader, TmEE, Dave-H, RFMaster and all other contributors !

I couldn't have done this without you guys. Thanks to all of the testers who help me fixed the bugs.

13,000+ downloads in 7 months not including the main site or other sites, feeds, torrents or the past downloads etc.......

The reason for this post is, I'm starting to lose interest in Win98. We are at a stand still and the most valuable people aren't as active. I will create a Windows ME SP fully updated like Win98 SE. My lack of knowledge is limited, so the SP can only go so far. I hope you guys understand, that we are moving to extinction because of the limitations. I have grown over time and realize a lot of issues occur from clashing egos. Imagine if I charged a $1 for the SP, I would be living lovely. Its not about money, its about surviving and we are expiring. I'm hoping to coincide with many of you legends praying I become one someday as well.

Gape, MDGx, erpdude8, Petr, CLASYS, Tihiy, DuckDaffy, eGorZ, swgreed, hp38guser, safir, sybesma, ssmokee, HSI, Tarun, azagahl, DanyBoss, miko, eidenk, sleffing, Drugwash, rloew, dencorso, jds, Fredledingue, gerislamico, Nexus_06, loblo, bphlpt, jaclaz, LoneCrusader, TmEE, Dave-H, RFMaster and all other contributors !

I couldn't have done this without you guys.

Curious how in other places you publicly badmouth some of these same people.... :unsure:

jaclaz

Dunno about others, but in my eyes you already are a legend. Thank you for all your efforts through the years!

Unfortunately my hardware is going down along with my brain, reason why I haven't been active in a long time. I'm sorry I promised a lot of things and couldn't fulfill them or even completely forgot about those things. I wish I could've helped you (and others) more.

Personally I'm happy with my eight-years old Win98SE installation and will always consider that as my main system. It's also the only one still up and running with no major repairs inspite of its 24/7 operation. For a brief period of time I've had Millenium installed, years ago and the lack of true DOS apart I was rather pleased with it; maybe it was just luck, dunno. Right now I don't have a ME setup and no spare hardware, since my most powerful machine died (mobo fried, short on ATX 12V socket) and two other machines have bad sectors on their HDDs. Therefore I won't be much of a help, unless you need a specific tool built or something.

Thank you again and good luck with all your projects!

I couldn't have done this without you guys.

Curious how in other places you publicly badmouth some of these same people.... :unsure:

jaclaz

People are entitled to their own opinion and so am I. Maybe the names you have highlighted are not so innocent. Maybe you should do a google search and see where the problems have stemmed from Mr. Link master. Maybe you should come over to foolsdesign and ask me that same question? Maybe you should realize that I am a grown @ss man and will not let you or the others disrespect me subliminally, which have been done in the past. But you see over here, posts get deleted and freedom is limited. I don't start fights, but I end them quick. It was ok for those same guys to badmouth me and the SP in the past, but when I defended myself, now I'm the bad guy. You sir are a contradiction. Again, thanks for your help and at the same the time....................................................You should already know the rest.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I too appreciate the hard work you put forth in creating this service pack for all the Windows 98 fans out there. I use it daily on my Windows 98 machine and I love it. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd be able to use Windows 98 again but I can and I'm so happy for that! Thanks for putting all your hard work and time into this service pack.

I simply found "curious" how you feel free to call people names there and otherwise thank them here.

Personally I find very inappropriate to go somewhere else calling people names, I guess it is just a matter of different education/politeness standards.

And no, thanks, but I won't become member of a board where basic rules/conventions about reciprocal respect and politeness are ignored, which of course doesn't mean that people may not have different opinions, but from there to directly and plainly offend the people whose opinion is different from yours, there is some difference.

jaclaz

I simply found "curious" how you feel free to call people names there and otherwise thank them here.

Personally I find very inappropriate to go somewhere else calling people names, I guess it is just a matter of different education/politeness standards.

And no, thanks, but I won't become member of a board where basic rules/conventions about reciprocal respect and politeness are ignored, which of course doesn't mean that people may not have different opinions, but from there to directly and plainly offend the people whose opinion is different from yours, there is some difference.

jaclaz

Just because we don't like each other, doesn't mean they should be deprive credit for what they help me accomplish. I am a man of Principle. What are you?

Just because we don't like each other, doesn't mean they should be deprive credit for what they help me accomplish. I am a man of Principle. What are you?

I am the kind of person that does not go around calling you offending names, even if you are not and won't probably become my friend.

As said different perception of what politeness or good manners are.

In other words, if you were a kid and you called any of your pals like that, would your mom have washed your mouth with soap?

Or, if you go to the local pub, and you exchange opinions with someone you happen to meet there, do you - should your opinions diverge - call any of the people there with any of those names?

And if yes do you think likely that you will risk starting a fight?

jaclaz

There may be no new files to add to the service pack any more but I think you could now work on Kext !!

With your great care for details you and Jumper may find ways to make (modern) apps work.

Problemchyld, there are so few active ppl here = everyone is needed badly.

If you are loosing interest in Windows 98, I guess you are not using it as your main system. I also guess you need drivers badly. :whistle:

Speaking for myself, 98 SE is my main system where I do everything, it outcompetes my Windows 7 system (which I use for some modern games and some surfing). I like 98 SE because it is so much better than 7, which just is an annoyance I have had to get used to.

Where will you go? To Windows ME, XP, ... ?

Sometimes a long msfn vacation is good for the soul...no need to be here everyday :angel

Edited by go98