98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

There you are: download

It may be one pixel off to the right or something, I had to rebuild it from scratch because the alpha blending doesn't always work identically and there would've been some white trails left. And well, I had already forgotten which font I used for that version (it was Arial Narrow, Bold, 14). Yep, absent-minded, that's me! :blushing:

I will either use the one with the red or without it. Lets see what others users think. Thanks, it looks great. :thumbup:w00t: Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

One other detail, albeit minor, would be resource 161, which is loaded in Safe Mode instead of resource 157. That's a grey-shaded image, much shorter than 157, but nevertheless it could be hacked into showing Second Edition somehow.

Bitmap 161 is not used by Windows 98 at all. The Bitmap 157 is used in Safe Mode as well.

Bitmap 161 is used by Windows 95 when it uses this same version of EXPLORER (IE 4 Desktop Shell). See here for my woes with this. :(:no:

Edited by LoneCrusader

Hi,

I was giving this a spin on a Windows 98SE installation the other day. Fine work and all that, but I wanted to ask: what's with the inclusion of the inferior version of TweakUI? Isn't the 1.33 version (see http://www.mdgx.com/98-3.htm) superior?

Apologies if this has been hashed out a million times already; a quick search revealed no relevant discussion.

I will either use the one with the red or without it. Lets see what others users think. Thanks, it looks great. :thumbup:w00t:

You're welcome! I'd still prefer the one to the left with 'uSP3' but hey, you're the boss. :D

If you want an honest vote, copy/paste all versions presented here from all users (bphlpt, Lone Crusader, me) in a single image, give'em numbers and ask people to vote what they like most. Since most images are hidden within archives and not everyone would go to the length of downloading those archives just to look at a bunch of banners, the voting (if any) may not truly reflect reality.

But then again, we have much bigger problems than a startup menu banner... And you know what's funny? Personally I always use small icons menu, which doesn't show a banner, because I just feel it's a waste of memory, besides having a huge menu that'd extend past the screen's height if it used large icons. :) But let's not be selfish, there's people who like it so... choose the best and enjoy! :)

@LoneCrusader: Oh well, what's a few hours compared to a wasted lifetime... Since I built a few versions of that banner as well, one of them may find its way in, just for kicks.

On the other hand, it shows I'm not having troubles with my system, having to reboot in Safe Mode, otherwise I would've already known that! :rolleyes: My uptimer app shows current session has been up for 2 weeks 1 day 12 hours and 50 minutes.

I will either use the one with the red or without it. Lets see what others users think. Thanks, it looks great. :thumbup:w00t:

You're welcome! I'd still prefer the one to the left with 'uSP3' but hey, you're the boss. :D

If you want an honest vote, copy/paste all versions presented here from all users (bphlpt, Lone Crusader, me) in a single image, give'em numbers and ask people to vote what they like most. Since most images are hidden within archives and not everyone would go to the length of downloading those archives just to look at a bunch of banners, the voting (if any) may not truly reflect reality.

But then again, we have much bigger problems than a startup menu banner... And you know what's funny? Personally I always use small icons menu, which doesn't show a banner, because I just feel it's a waste of memory, besides having a huge menu that'd extend past the screen's height if it used large icons. :) But let's not be selfish, there's people who like it so... choose the best and enjoy! :)

@LoneCrusader: Oh well, what's a few hours compared to a wasted lifetime... Since I built a few versions of that banner as well, one of them may find its way in, just for kicks.

On the other hand, it shows I'm not having troubles with my system, having to reboot in Safe Mode, otherwise I would've already known that! :rolleyes: My uptimer app shows current session has been up for 2 weeks 1 day 12 hours and 50 minutes.

Go ahead, I like when people vote. It shows who all have interest. I have to say, I like LoneCrusader Second Edition font style better. It has a bolder look, it stands out among the other fonts. I'm too lazy to gather all the images. Can someone help me out please. Yes, I'm lazy too at times :w00t:

Hi,

I was giving this a spin on a Windows 98SE installation the other day. Fine work and all that, but I wanted to ask: what's with the inclusion of the inferior version of TweakUI? Isn't the 1.33 version (see http://www.mdgx.com/98-3.htm) superior?

Apologies if this has been hashed out a million times already; a quick search revealed no relevant discussion.

They are the same. Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I like LoneCrusader Second Edition font style better. It has a bolder look, it stands out among the other fonts.

Normally I'm all about maintaining the original look when it comes to the Windows 9x UI. :angel

But this is one case where I have tried, and tried, and tried, and TRIED :wacko: to reproduce the proper Font style, size, and spacing of the original. I have tried every possible variant of the Arial font family, and no matter what I do, It NEVER looks like the original. I finally gave up on Arial because I don't like how the "W" looks.

In this case I used Tahoma.

One problem I see is that everyone else is trying to use the original banner and edit it. While this is possible, it is much harder to avoid distortion, and would require a lot of pixel-by-pixel touch up.

I can create plain "gradient" banners to use as starting points if anyone wants this. You can add text to them, save, and then re-open them and reduce the color depth to 16 colors once you have it like you want it. This results in a much clearer image...

Here's a couple of examples...

post-243622-0-07562600-1361691182_thumb.

post-243622-0-66254700-1361691191_thumb.

One problem I see is that everyone else is trying to use the original banner and edit it. While this is possible, it is much harder to avoid distortion, and would require a lot of pixel-by-pixel touch up.

I can create plain "gradient" banners to use as starting points if anyone wants this. You can add text to them, save, and then re-open them and reduce the color depth to 16 colors once you have it like you want it. This results in a much clearer image...

Here's a couple of examples...

Thanks and if the red can be just a little bit darker, I will stop crying :angel

Oh c'mon, I can do that kind of stuff anytime! I've done all of my banners from scratch, doesn't it show? There's blank gradients in both archives, inside the icon files, to prove it.

You first said you wanted it to look as similar as possible to the original, now it doesn't matter anymore. You're a problem child alright! :lol:

Now, what exactly do you want it to look like? Choose a font, choose the colors, choose the backgrouns gradient style and colors, choose the exact text, choose whatever else any type'em down, so we know where to go to.

It's 10AM here after a blank night, so please make it fast while I prepare myself another coffee. :angel

Oh c'mon, I can do that kind of stuff anytime! I've done all of my banners from scratch, doesn't it show? There's blank gradients in both archives, inside the icon files, to prove it.

You first said you wanted it to look as similar as possible to the original, now it doesn't matter anymore. You're a problem child alright! :lol:

Now, what exactly do you want it to look like? Choose a font, choose the colors, choose the backgrouns gradient style and colors, choose the exact text, choose whatever else any type'em down, so we know where to go to.

It's 10AM here after a blank night, so please make it fast while I prepare myself another coffee. :angel

I like # 10, I prefer the Windows font style from # 1-9. I like how the 98 is separated from Windows. I also like the Second Edition font style, although it can be a little bigger and painted in RED. Thanks