98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

Risking to go WAY Off Topic :ph34r: anyone has attempted a DIR of the WINSXS folder in a Windows 8 install or WAIK PE 4.0? :angel

I would say that the side by side mechanism - IMHO in itself a good idea, only very badly implemented - has been vastly abused.

.Net is obviously nonsense bloat (still IMHO), being often in itself as big as or larger than a "normal" WHOLE Win 9x install.

jaclaz

.Net is obviously nonsense bloat (still IMHO), being often in itself as big as or larger than a "normal" WHOLE Win 9x install.

jaclaz

SP3.x, with all options checked (testing purposes only) my system is at 470 MB of disk space. This also includes Direct X and MS Vpn client. After installing all of my software, my system jumps from 470 MB to 550 MB. The movies and music takes up most of the space on my computers not the bloated software. This is why on a 120GB HD, I have well over 119GB for my movies and music. Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Regarding MS Runtimes, you might be interested in checking out some of the threads over at RyanVM's forum for a history lesson and examples of the type of Runtime Packs that have been put together by others for XP. (They were done for Win2K first, but I'll leave the history search for them as an exercise for the reader. :) )

Some of the earlier Runtime Packs for XP started as MS Runtimes only but grew to include other Runtimes to avoid the dreaded "This program needs blah.dll to run" prompts. They began to be published at RyanVM's in the early 2000's. The two most well known ones were done by RogueSpear (No longer maintained and deleted from the forum years ago) and Kelsenellenelvian (Kel ended up taking out the MS Runtimes from his Runtime Pack about a year and a half ago. but more on that in a bit). Then code65536 posted his pack specifically for MS Runtimes only in July 2007. But code65536 is notorious for staying away from the forums for LONG periods of time every so often, so in one of his absences, YumeYao picked up the ball and published his version of code65536's pack in September 2010. YumeYao's pack became so stable, well respected, and regularly updated as required, that Kel dropped the files from his own pack that were in the one made by YumeYao and suggested people use the two packs together - YumeYao's for the MS Runtimes and Kel's for the other non-MS Runtimes. Then YumeYao graduated from University and got a job so he has not had as much time as he used to have to participate in the forums and project development. So in December of 2011 Ricktendo64 began updating YumeYao's pack in YumeYao's thread, but he did not update the first post in the thread. After doing this until May 2012, Rick then started his own threads for the pack maintenance over at Wincert, first the original VB/VC++ type, then expanded that to an AIO that also includes VC++ 2012, F# and J# Runtimes and is also applicable to at least Vista and Win7 as well as XP and perhaps others.

So what does this have to do with Win98 and SP3? Nothing directly, but it shows that for many years many people have found it useful to include multiple versions of various non-conflicting Runtimes in their OS builds for convenience so they are ready to run the various apps that might require them. There are different valid opinions about Runtimes. Some want to only include the ones they actually use, others like to have all they can have so they are always prepared. (Guess which camp I'm in. LOL) Admittedly, even YumeYao began to separate the VC1 and VB1-4 Runtimes out into a separately available legacy pack since they were most useful to those running older software, but I figure that anyone running Win98 is also likely to be running older software so...

Anyway, it's up to you, my friend, to do what you think is best for you and your users.

CheersandRegards.gif

Edited by bphlpt

I've found this forum a couple years ago and I think your service pack is great. I use COM ports in HyperTerminal but after installing main updates(SP3.9)I loose connectivity-( the hyperterminal screen stays blank). So I restored system from backup and it works again.

I've found this forum a couple years ago and I think your service pack is great. I use COM ports in HyperTerminal but after installing main updates(SP3.9)I loose connectivity-( the hyperterminal screen stays blank). So I restored system from backup and it works again.

I have asked many times in the past, that if users have any problems to please post step by step instructions so me or others can try to reproduce the error. The link has some references pertaining to Hyperterminal. Did you have any other Unofficial packs installed before installing SP3.x? Just stating you have a problem doesn't really help us much. Hopefully someone can reproduce yor issue because I don't know where to begin. I never had this problem, but it doesn't mean it don't exist.

I'm using a MSI-7211 Pentium D- boots from a SATA drive which works in compatability mode-although CD drive is on IDE and only reads some of the data on disc. Recent install from win98se cd. Only updates are Microsoft Security update CD(feb 2004) prior to SP3.9. I'm gonna play around with it some more

I'm using a MSI-7211 Pentium D- boots from a SATA drive which works in compatability mode-although CD drive is on IDE and only reads some of the data on disc. Recent install from win98se cd. Only updates are Microsoft Security update CD(feb 2004) prior to SP3.9. I'm gonna play around with it some more

We just had a Discussion about Microsoft Security update CD. Please read it :yes:

hi PROBLEMCHYLD.

how about adding ATL80.DLL version 8.0.50727.6229 dated 11/15/2011 from KB2716441 of MS12-070 to the 98se service pack?

it's contained in a large security update for SQL Server 2012.

I'm glad the MSVCRT40.DLL file was reverted back to the Win9x compatible versions since version 3.8 of your 98se SP.

Version 5.1.2600.5512 of msvcrt40.dll also broke Win98se's MS System Information Tool (msinfo32.exe), telling me to upgrade Windows version

as I've tested myself when I installed 98se SP v3.7. Removed 98se SP v3.7 and installed the newest version of the SP and v4.22.0.0 of MSVCRT40.DLL

made 98se's msinfo32.exe program run correctly again.

Edited by erpdude8

hi PROBLEMCHYLD.

how about adding ATL80.DLL version 8.0.50727.6229 dated 11/15/2011 from KB2716441 of MS12-070 to the 98se service pack?

it's contained in a large security update for SQL Server 2012.

I'm glad the MSVCRT40.DLL file was reverted back to the Win9x compatible versions since version 3.8 of your 98se SP.

Version 5.1.2600.5512 of msvcrt40.dll also broke Win98se's MS System Information Tool (msinfo32.exe), telling me to upgrade Windows version

as I've tested myself when I installed 98se SP v3.7. Removed 98se SP v3.7 and installed the newest version of the SP and v4.22.0.0 of MSVCRT40.DLL

made 98se's msinfo32.exe program run correctly again.

The package is 323 MB. Thats crazy for just one file. Lets hope someone has it on their computer, if not, I will download it overnight when my bandwith is free. If I keep adding newer files people are going to get mad at me. They don't want their system updated with newer files, because they don't work on their systems.

Just something a read in another forum :lol: I wish some people can see how hybrid my system is with SP3.x and 98SE2ME. :yes:

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD