98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

The original installation DID include all of the H/W and S/W drivers.

This was the bug I reproduced and fixed.

Sometimes it is best to configure all your software/tweaks etc.... after the installation of SP 3.x.

I will release SP 3.5 either tomorrow of Friday. Just follow all the instructions and you should be ok. Thanks again :rolleyes:

ATL.DLL 3.0.9794.0 Windows 2000 SP4

ATL71.DLL 7.10.6119.0 Microsoft Visual Studio 2003 Service Pack 1

ATL80.DLL 8.0.50727.6195 Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1

GDIPLUS.DLL 5.2.6002.22791 Windows XP SP3

HNETWIZ.DLL 5.1.2232.1 Windows XP SP1

ICSDCLT.DLL 5.1.2600.23 Windows XP SP1

MFC40.DLL 4.1.0.6151 Windows XP SP3

MFC71.DLL 7.10.6119.0 Microsoft Visual Studio 2003 Service Pack 1

MSVCRT20.DLL 2.12.0.0 Windows XP SP3

MSVCRT40.DLL 5.1.2600.5512 Windows XP SP3

NCXP32.DLL 5.1.2600.23 Windows XP SP1

NCXPNT.DLL 6.0.2600.3 Windows XP SP1

PSAPI.DLL 5.0.2134.1 Windows 2000

XENROLL.DLL 5.131.3686.0 Windows XP SP3

Fixed some bugs

A big thanks to Laser98IX for critiquing SP3.x. It helped me improve the package.

I apologize :angel once again for my rudeness.

I have added more details in the description box so users know what they are installing.

I have added PSAPI.DLL 5.0.2134.1 Windows 2000 and it will only install if its already present in the system directory.

I have tested apps with and without PSAPI.DLL 5.0.2134.1. It was NOT needed at least on my system.

I will release 3.5 later tonight or tomorrow morning :w00t:

A big thanks to Laser98IX for critiquing SP3.x. It helped me improve the package.

You're welcome. I'm pleased I was able to add something to this project, however slight or "unofficial" my efforts. :)

As I hoped to mention before I'm skilled at and have been trained to do a process analysis of whatever I work on. It's good for things like programming, document creation, and problem analysis, but not so great for interacting with other people. I analyze things to a great level of detail because I immerse myself in process activities, and installing software updates is VERY process oriented. Also, I don't discount what I see or make assumptions about the test results, because I've learned that interpretation during the activity could inadvertently skew the results or bias the test. I try to take things literally, and that often poses a problem with people who are able to read between the lines. This is why I volunteered to help do beta testing.

I apologize :angel once again for my rudeness.

Forget it!!! We all have operational styles, and I'll need to get used to yours so I can improve upon mine. ;)

I genuinely appreciate what you're doing, and can easily overlook some obvious frustrations by a very dedicated and over-worked programmer.

I have added more details in the description box so users know what they are installing.

Wonderful!!!

My intent was to convey a level of polite ignorance on the part of many people who don't have as intimate a knowledge of what you're offering as you do. By making the Unofficial Service Packs easy to understand, install, and troubleshoot, more people will be eager to upgrade their running machines, or pull that old computer and license out of the closet or attic and fire it up again so they can take advantage of newer hardware and older software. I know Microsoft won't officially support or re-release '98SE, but that doesn't mean hundreds of thousands, and hopefully millions of users can continue to take advantage of a nice O/S that I genuinely enjoy using, and I continue to use it everyday.

My training and experience forces me to see things from the end-user perspective, and oft-times "we" don't have a clue about what's going on or what to do. That doesn't mean we're buffoons or dolts ... just not programmers.

If more programs could be written from the end-user's perspective there wouldn't need to be so many user's guides written and printed. I know, I know ... that takes time, isn't easy, and requires lots of dedication, but the end-user can only act on what they see or read, and reading more within the program or installation means less reading [and potential confusion] before, during, and later. There's a diminishing return to that concept, so tne 10/90 and 90/10 rule is accurate here.

I will release 3.5 later tonight or tomorrow morning :w00t:

After it's available I'll download it and conduct the same sort of installation analysis I did during my Win98SE install. Hopefully I won't create so many problems during this attempt by short-cutting my computer configuration or selecting things I don't need to on the options page.

Thanks to you, ProblemChyld ... and so many other programmers, coders, and plain old smart people.

ps. Since I'm a glutton for punishment, and to prove that I truly am willing to do a little beta testing, I'll install the next SP3.x on a Dell CPi "Latitude" laptop that's running '98SE. I'll wipe the current configuration and installation, follow the same installation routine as per my earlier install for my EZ65, and will then report that status post-install. In that post I'll document the H/W config, installed features [if any], and the benchmarks previously listed. If I can find the space to set it up I'll also do the same for a tower "desk-side" that's screaming for an update. I just have to decide which tower to use.

pps. Is a '95-to-'98SE-upgrade install a valid test as well, or has that already been done?

Edited by Laser98IX

I have found a way to add the original icons and keep the WinME/2000.

If I don't get enough people that actually want them, then I will (NOT) invest time in it.

If you don't use the SP please don't even bother to comment. All you going to do is p*** me off.

Enjoy 3.5 because 3.6 is around the corner.

I have installed 3.5 on my P225 on a freshly installed windows and everything seemed nice and dandy until I started adding new HW (USB 2.0 card, NIC and some USB sticks).

There are about 50 second pauses whenever there's "scanning" operation during driver installs. On USB it was quite annoying but nothing tremendous as it only appeared once. But then I popped in the NIC (about 15 minutes ago) and its move file, scanning (for about 50 seconds), move another file, scan more, repeat.

There is no HDD activity during those scannings, and there's always SP3.CAB in source during that time. It makes me think that there is some searching inside the CAB which is CPU intensive. The P225 is not really powerful, and it takes time.

I began experiencing one other oddity, which I think happened right after I installed my OPTi USB2.0 card. There's Fatal Exception 0B error happening every time I try to shut down and it is endless requiring me to hard reset or power off. I have not yet linked it to the USB card, once the NIC finishes I'll take out the USB card and see if the problem presists.

Detailed config :

Pentium1 MMX 233 @ 225MHz

Intel 430TX chipset

64MB RAM (PC66)

Promise Fasttrack66 with pair of 80GB drives in RAID1

Intel Pro100+ dual server NIC

OPTi 82C621 USB 2.0 card

Yamaha YMF719 sound card

I will report back as soon as I find something more conclusive on the shut down problem. EDIT: After I disabled USB I no longer got the problem, but the problem no longer returned either when I enabled both onboard and OPTi USB (even in different combinations)... must have been a fluke or something.

So the driver install slowness is only thing that haunts my (puny)setup :P

Edited by TmEE

I'm glad you got it working. I did specifically say in the updated LICENSE.TXT to install all hardware drivers first.

You seem a bit savvy so I'm not going to drive on you. Please follow the instructions. It is so much easier for me to reproduce the errors if people follow the instructions. Everybody have they own way of doing things and I respect that, but I can't help you if I can't reproduce the errors when they occur. :}

Prerequites:

Minimum 64 MB of RAM.
130 MB free hard disk space.

Installation Guide: * = Optional.

1- Install Windows 98 Second Edition (with or without 98lite).*
2- Install all the latest drivers for your hardware.
3- Install latest IE.*
4- Install latest DirectX.*
5- Install latest Service Pack 3.x (Main Updates).
6- Follow instructions of USB 2.0 NOTICE.
7- Install optional components of Service Pack 3.x.*
8- Install MS Office.*
9- Install KernelEx, 98SE2ME, Revolution Pack.*

I have not been able to get the shutdown program appear again, and the USB card is not USB 2.0 but just 1.1 (but for some reason I recalled it being 2.0). Both USB and NIC are out of box supported on 98SE so no additional drivers were ever needed. I will be doing lot more HW tests on the machine in future, trying out different peripherals and such.

Last night, I installed SP3.5 on my 98SE laptop which had IE5.01SP2 and KernelEx 4.52. I selected about 2/3 of the options. All went smoothly. :thumbup

One thing I'd request though ... Can the USB drivers in the future SP3.6 be made optional? I won't benefit from USB 2.0 drivers on my USB 1.1 machines, and I've already got Intel's drivers running on my USB 2.0 machine. As I'm happy with the USB drivers I already use, I'd rather not mess with them, if and when I chose to install the SP on my remaining machines.

Joe.

I upgraded RAM on that computer of mine to 256MB. The board can cache only 64MB, but various benchmarks I did showed only a slight drop in perfomance, and I can live with that. It did not make driver installs that seek files inside SP3.CAB any faster though.

That computer is in charge of this (hugely work in progress, I am slowly relearning all the HTML I have forgotten haha) : http://tiido.rocketcat.info

I have put some links to important resources too :thumbup

One thing I'd request though ... Can the USB drivers in the future SP3.6 be made optional? I won't benefit from USB 2.0 drivers on my USB 1.1 machines, and I've already got Intel's drivers running on my USB 2.0 machine. As I'm happy with the USB drivers I already use, I'd rather not mess with them, if and when I chose to install the SP on my remaining machines.

Joe.

NO! SP3.x installs USB 1.1/USB 2.0 drivers. Just because you don't want to follow instuctions doesn't

mean I'm going to complicate things for myself and others. You have the following options.

1. Don't install SP3.x at all

2. Use a older version and replace all updated files manually.

3. If you do install SP3.x follow the instructions

4. Learn how to do it yourself

I think what agitates me more than anything is complaints about things that can be avoided.

Don't use the SP if you don't like whats in it.

One guy said he wouldn't install SP3 because of the changed icons but also said he wanted system stability.

He have the same choices above.

For something thats FREE, I have never seen so many people complain. DIY

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

For something thats FREE, I have never seen so many people complain. DIY

I'm not surprised. You are a single source.

The alternative is a pile of slightly different versions created by different people to customize their installations.

These will be far harder to manage and update.

The requests and complaints come with the territory. I get them too.

You took charge of this project. You can't let them get to you.

Listen to them. Decide if their requests are reasonable and practical to implement, or not, and act accordingly.

I'm not surprised. You are a single source.

The alternative is a pile of slightly different versions created by different people to customize their installations.

These will be far harder to manage and update.

I agree 100%. My thing is, I 'm willing to compromise. I can create a package without the updated WinME/2000 icons, but then what about the people who want them. The people who complains the most are the ones who contribute the less. You on the other hand don't complain and have created patches to improve SP. For you and some of the others I will be willing to create customize packs. I will remove all you don't want, and will add all you do want. My personal version of SP is customize with the SW I use. It installs Media Player Classic with only the codecs I need. My versions also installs LAYOUT.DLL from WinNT, it installs CONTENT.DLL from Win95 powertoys just to name a few. If others want customize packs I will do it for a small fee. Donate to MSFN $ 5.00. I don't want anything out the deal but less stress. I have been working on the icons situation, but it requires some batch scripts for proper installation. I have no batch knowledge. As I said before its not worth the headache if only a few people don't want the icons. Just so its clear, I know the difference between complaints and user reporting bugs/issues.

Hi, I'm a newbie here, and I'd hate to ask, but I cannot seem to find the download link for Service Pack 3.5 anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get it? Thanks. :)

Here is it: link... now, you did not look at this thread's very first post, did you? :unsure: