Gape

Here's what I need you to do.

1. Install Win98 on a clean install.

2. Install all your drivers.

3. Install SP3.4.

4. Follow the instructions for USB 2.0.

5. Report back to the forum.

Thanks you

Very well. I will accede to your extended experience with Win98SE, the USP3.4, and many other facets of programming.

Rather than push a mirror of an existing (and working) install of '98SE from an exact duplicate of the hardware (except for the hard drive) onto my test drive I'll format it, do a cold and clean install from the '98SE CD, and then follow your remaining instructions.

However, since I don't know which of the options in the SP3.4 install are truly beneficial to me and my configuration I'll have to do yet more reading to confirm what each line item is for and if it's needed in my installation. I hope to have all this done by either late Saturday 08/11/2012 or Sunday the 12th.

I'll report which options I've selected, will follow your instructions, and report back after all this is done. That should give you guys a few days of peace and quiet. :whistle:

Rather than push a mirror of an existing (and working) install of '98SE from an exact duplicate of the hardware (except for the hard drive) onto my test drive I'll format it, do a cold and clean install from the '98SE CD, and then follow your remaining instructions.

After you finish Step #2, do create an image and save it (if at all possible, burn it to a DVD). This way, if you do not like the result of your 1st uSP install, or if you decide you should have picked different options, you can start over from the same exact point, without having to reinstall Windows and the drivers all over again.

The SP3.4 update was installed on my test machine with no installation problems. There was a single red "error" screen that was displayed at the end of the install having to do with "INF Tool Failure", but the exact message escapes me at the moment.

I was able to reproduce the error on a clean install. Not sure what causes it but I'm looking into it ATM. Thanks

Edit: Misinformation :huh:

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I was able to reproduce the error on a clean install. Not sure what causes it but I'm looking into it ATM. Thanks

I have found the problem. New version somtime this week.

Excellent. Then something positive has come from my attempt so far. I'll wait to install the SP3.4 until after I see the update. I've got work to do before that anyway.

@Problemchyld, a question: Is there a resource on this site, or others, that details what each of the selection check-boxes are for or will include in the SP3.4 install?

Because of the significance of the changes, and the depth with which the O/S is altered and improved, someone with a lot less experience than most of the experts here who's doing the install needs to have a clearer understanding of why they're choosing each of the options on that single screen. I know providing reader help files is no trivial activity, because I've written or audited my fair share of them. If there is something I can do to make that process easier I'm willing to help by taking technical jargon and turning it into plain English for non-programmers like me. That puts me in the hot-seat for making something really great a little better. As I've eluded to before, I've spent the better part of ten years interfacing between hardware and software designers, engineers, programmers, manufacturing technicians, and those who buy and use what those talented people have created.

However, if I need to just hunker down and do a lot of reading on my own, or just select different things and take my chances, then I'll do that. As I said I have some time, but I don't think it's wise for me to re-learn everything that everyone else here has just to take advantage of your mental wizardry. No, I'm not lazy, but I'm not a programmer, and sometimes reading through forum after forum trying to glean everything I can, and the most pertinent points, makes my head spin. I assume most of the people on this site, or those who've taken the time to do the install, are probably more familiar with programming or software than I am. That leaves me at a significant disadvantage. Still, many of the "experts" here have helped other novices before, so .........

I'm at the point where I've got two complete test machines, plus the original completely installed full-use machine, set aside with a basic installation of Win98SE. Some of the drivers are already loaded, I've tried to change very little, if anything, so they're neutral and "plain" configurations, and both of those test machines boot fine in about 44 seconds without the network card or drivers loaded, or the USB drivers installed.

I won't attempt to install the SP3.4 until I've gotten comfortable with the selection check-boxes during the initial install screen. That might take a while, because I'm a slow reader. I plan to continue reading after I take a snapshot of the selection screen options so I can search through the MSFN fora for answers to all of my questions.

Thanks for all your work, instructions, and help. It really is appreciated. Win98SE is better because of it.

SP 3.5 upcoming updates

ATL.DLL 3.0.9794.0 Windows 2000 SP4

ATL71.DLL 7.10.6119.0 Microsoft Visual Studio 2003 Service Pack 1

ATL80.DLL 8.0.50727.6195 Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1

GDIPLUS.DLL 5.2.6002.22791 Windows XP SP3

MFC40.DLL 4.1.0.6151 Windows XP SP3

MFC71.DLL 7.10.6119.0 Microsoft Visual Studio 2003 Service Pack 1

MSVCRT20.DLL 2.12.0.0 Windows XP SP3

MSVCRT40.DLL 5.1.2600.5512 Windows XP SP3

Some bug fixes

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

3. Install SP3.4.

4. Follow the instructions for USB 2.0.

5. Report back to the forum.

Thanks you

The following is the short version of a complete Win98SE install with more details in the attached file.

(It might prove useful if anyone wants to see specific details such as driver versions, etc)

Formatted drive with no errors

Did Win98SE install with no errors

Added the following drivers with no errors

- Chipset

- AGP video card

-Audio

Did not add the following drivers

- LAN

- VGA (AGP card installed)

- USB

Mirrored drive

Setup second machine in same configuration

Ready for SP3.5

Next?

Win98SE_Installation.txt

You will continue to get the INF error, if you don't install (ALL) your hardware drivers.

There was a bug in 3.4, but it has been fixed.

I don't know why Win98 is setup like this. I have done many clean installs over the week to figure this problem out.

Install all your hardware drivers before installing SP 3.x or you will get the INF error.

There is no other solution that I know of. This is probably why you are the only one reporting this.

Others have done clean installs and haven't receive INF error messages.

I have updated the LICENSE.TXT with the necessary instructions. Please follow them EVERYONE!

Also, anytime you install official/unofficial updates and get an error message, Win98 will create a setupapi.log file in the Windows directory. With this file, I can determine what went wrong.

You can also ignore the error messages in setupapi.log for these specific files

CRLUPD.INF
MSCRLREV.DLL
UPDCRL.EXE
VERISIGNPUB1.CRL

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

You will continue to get the INF error, if you don't install (ALL) your hardware drivers.

There was a bug in 3.4, but it has been fixed.

I don't know why Win98 is setup like this. I have done many clean installs over the week to figure this problem out.

Install all your hardware drivers before installing SP 3.x or you will get the INF error.

There is no other solution that I know of. This is probably why you are the only one reporting this.

Others have done clean installs and haven't receive INF error messages.

The original installation DID include all of the H/W and S/W drivers.

My problems might be because of which options I selected during the initial SP3.4 install, or possibly some fluke related to my H/W and S/W configuration, and the fact that I changed some options in the "StartUp" tab of "SysInfo" in "Tools" so not all of the S/W was loaded for the H/W I installed.

Not knowing which SP3.4 options doesn't help right now, and the fact that I changed a few things before install. Easily fixed. I haven't changed any options this time, and the "Resources Available" in the attached file is an indicator of that

Based on what Drugwash stated --

One reason for a slightly longer boot time is the network card loading its drivers, logging onto the network and performing whatever functions it has to. A vanilla installation without network drivers will usually boot faster.
-- I decided not to install the LAN drivers, since I "may" not use the LAN anyway.

As I said in this post --

I knew the network card slows the boot down considerably, and I'm seriously thinking about removing the drivers and device from my installation unless the longer boot time is understood and resolved. I may just forget using the LAN altogether and rely upon my USB sticks and external USB drive to move files back and forth. That would reduce the boot time somewhat.
-- I'd already concluded the LAN installation might not be necessary.

However, if there's more stuff going on besides just loading the H/W drivers, then I'll have to load them anyway and remove that device after.

An interesting test will be after I remove the LAN device from the machine in the Device Manager and how it will affect the boot time.

Since I've got an AGP card I made an assumption (bad decision on my part) not to install the VGA driver.

The problem now is that the AGP card takes precedence for video, and I'll have to uninstall it, install the VGA drivers, and then re-install the AGP card + drivers. Easily fixed.

My decision to not install the USB drivers was yet another bad assumption. Easily fixed.

I have updated the LICENSE.TXT with the necessary instructions. Please follow them EVERYONE!

Also, anytime you install official/unofficial updates and get an error message, Win98 will create a setupapi.log file in the Windows directory. With this file, I can determine what went wrong.

You can also ignore the error messages in setupapi.log for these specific files

CRLUPD.INF
MSCRLREV.DLL
UPDCRL.EXE
VERISIGNPUB1.CRL

Another installation step will be for me to do a "DIR /S /OG-D /V >DirList.txt" of the C:\WINDOWS directory in a Windows DOS box before AND after installation, and then I'll use a text compare utility to see what files change.

I'll be doing a test later on my pre-install test machine to see how much information is there and if I have specified the options correctly.

Are there other directories besides C:\WINDOWS (and sub-directories) that would be a good idea to log?

Thanks for all your efforts this week, ProblemChyld.