98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

I managed to find this swedish page full with updates for 98 and some others and most seem to be directed at the swedish version of 98se.

http://www.microsoft.com/sv-se/download/windows.aspx?q=windows&fs=operatingsystems~%255e%2522Windows%252098%2522%2524&p=0&r=10&t=&s=Relevancy~Descending

If i only knew the KB and Q names of the files needed to go from a first install to a full updated one i'd start downloading or atleast try to find the right ones, any ideas?

Or atleast from a install with ie 6 sp1 allready installed.

Edited by Elvi

Hi Elvi,

Here is a list of some Windows updates that Microsoft says are available specifically for Swedish-language systems. It is not at all a complete list, but it is a start. I've made this list from my own list for English-language systems. My English list is incomplete too, and may contain a few mistakes. So I make no promises, but, I think the files contained in the updates below are the latest versions for your language.

Please bear in mind that some updates which are said to be English-language only are actually better described as 'multilanguage' - good, regardless of language. Which updates are multilanguage, I don't know. So, the unofficial English updates mentioned occasionally in the list below might be OK for you (sorry, no idea). But certainly, the updates below should all be available for Swedish systems.

When you request these updates, the download links for the updates will arrive in your inbox. The files you download will actually be compressed archive files, in which you will find the updates you need. Clicking these compressed files will start the updates' extraction.

Hope that's all clear. :)

(Note the difference between the KB number - 245065 - and the number contained in the filename, and again, the number in the hotfix's INF files - 242928)

(English version of this update is superseded by unofficial ATADRV98.EXE)

(When requesting this hotfix, choose that with PKG9724 in the Fix name column. Note the difference between the KB number - 242937 - and that contained in the filename)

(English version of this update is superseded by unofficial Q304708.EXE and IOSYS98.EXE)

(Note the difference between the KB number - 272620 - and that contained in the filename)

(Requires a registry fix, as explained in the KB article. The fix, TICStsChg.reg, is included in the request package.)

(When requesting this hotfix, choose either one of the two offered (they are identical).)

(Note the difference between the KB number - 291854 - and that contained in the filename)

(This update requires 276602. Install 276602 first)

(should be good even though the update is for "Windows 98", not "Windows 98 Second Edition")

Edited by bristols

I've cooked a simple application to compare the language of files in two different folders. Please test and report if you encounter any problems.

EDIT 2014.05.04: - attachment replaced with download link for v0.5.0.0
The package contains the executable (no installation required), source code (runs in AutoHotkey 1.0.48.05) and change log.

DOWNLOAD CompareSP 0.5.0.0

Change log:

0.1.0.0- initial version0.2.0.0- added icons in list- added options to search in subfolders0.3.0.0- added more info to error message in GetLocaleInfo()- added Help message and menu item- added About message and menu item- fixed folder and subfolder search0.4.0.0- added options to list and save folder contents info (considering file type selection)- added option to include full paths when saving list- replaced <unknown> with dash (-) to save space- added 'Copyright' field (for the occasional suspicious user)- added more file types to selection list (386, cpl, flt, pdr, sys, tlb, vxd)- replaced vague 'system locale' with actual locale name in 'Accepted language' selector*known bug: non-printable chars in fields can screw up the saved list0.5.0.0- invalid language ID will be displayed as Hex number in list, instead of error messagebox- slightly changed comparison formula
  Edited by Drugwash

When i press compare, nothing happens.

Oh and btw shouldn't the whole windows folder be checked?

Also i unpacked the sp and all the cab's in it, i hope that was right.

Edited by Elvi

The two [ ... ] buttons at the top, upon pressing Compare!, should display the count of files in each folder and right below them there should appear a countown instead of Ready.

If the countdown ends and there's nothing in the list, then all the file versions would be compatible. But be careful what you select in [Accepted language], better let it on system locale and also leave file type to any.

I'm now working on an improved version that would also search subfolders in the main selected folder. However, the whole Windows folder might have too many files and would take quite a long time to complete. But you can always select it if you want, using the first [ ... ] button at the top. Just that it won't look in subfolders (in the current version).

EDIT:

Just make sure you selected the appropriate folders, because the program loops through the files in Folder 2 and compares with what finds in Folder 1. If you copy the exe in the folder where you unpacked the SP, it will automatically detect it and won't require any other adjustments.

Could you post a screenshot of the app after selecting folders (if needed)?

Also, I'm not sure if this app works correctly in a VM, can't test in such environment personally.

Edited by Drugwash

I've tested pretty much every folder in windows and the ready bit never changes from ready or it does and goes back, the list always stays blank.

The subfolder option sounds like a good idea.

Hopefully that includes both the includes both folder 1 and 2.

Btw i'm right now running win98se in oracle vm just to speed stuff up :)

I do know the service pack changes the language in win as i tried it, some parts were swedish, other english and the desktop went to the wrong folder and a few other things like the start menu only had 1 entry in it.

Edited by Elvi

What do you guys think about this new runbox? I have not added it.

Promise you won't yell at me if I tell the truth? :P

Graphical objects have impact on resources. If something isn't absolutely necessary, then better scratch it. I'm not one of the minimalists or purists that don't use skins in Revolutions Pack and stick to original 98 icons and stuff, but other than that I'd hate seeing 98SE become as bloated as its younger relatives since XP (that one included).

Anyway, that's just a blunt personal opinion, nothing more, so feel free to disregard it.

While I'm here, please note that I've updated the Compare SP utility in the post above to v0.2.0.0 which includes the ability to search in subfolders too.

Promise you won't yell at me if I tell the truth? :P

Graphical objects have impact on resources. If something isn't absolutely necessary, then better scratch it. I'm not one of the minimalists or purists that don't use skins in Revolutions Pack and stick to original 98 icons and stuff, but other than that I'd hate seeing 98SE become as bloated as its younger relatives since XP (that one included).

Anyway, that's just a blunt personal opinion, nothing more, so feel free to disregard it.

While I'm here, please note that I've updated the Compare SP utility in the post above to v0.2.0.0 which includes the ability to search in subfolders too.

I'm not a big fan of bloatware myself. Thats why I like to ask people opinions about things. I can accept any constructive feedback.

I also like an honest person. I'm not a big fan of skinning Win98, but I do love the Windows 7 look better than anything. For the

SP3 users don't worry, I'm not going add things just to be adding things. I have it on my system and just wanted to see what you guys thoughts were.

Oh, sorry... Sleep well!

It wasn't aimed @ you. :hello:

I wasn't yelling @ you the 1st time. I need to learn how to be more direct and specific. :w00t:

Thanks for the Compare file. I'll test it later today.

Getting a Error when using the new version: Error 87 in GetLocaleInfo

It should get past it anyway, no biggie. I got a couple such errors myself when comparing two folders over the network between 98SE and XP - there's probably some odd file that doesn't want to be queried, locked by the system or something. Error 87 means 'invalid parameter'.

However, if it happened to you in 98SE while under that VM, that could mean the application receives altered file/folder paths and that may be the reason for the empty list. If you could run it in a regular 98SE environment I'm sure it'd work OK. It does work fine here but I got an English system so can't find much difference between files unless one of them has no VersionInfo or the installed copy is accidentally of a language other than English.

For example, I get hhctrlui.dll in the list, because it finds one of the multiple versions in the System\mui folder.

I wasn't yelling @ you the 1st time. I need to learn how to be more direct and specific. :w00t:
I was just kidding. :) Don't worry, I'm not easily scared by a bunch of caps. ;) But careful with those ricoches, they might hit the really wrong guy at some point. :D

You were right about the error, funny part is, the real pc and the vm one give different files.

Real one:

EXTRACT.EXE	<unknown>	Engelska (amerikansk)	<unknown>	5.1.2600.1106
hhctrlui.dll Arabiska (Saudiarabien) Engelska (amerikansk) 4.74.9273 5.2.3664.0
ODBCCONF.EXE -2 Engelska (amerikansk) -2 3.525.1117.0 built by: (_sqlbld)

vm:

EXTRACT.EXE	<unknown>	Engelska (amerikansk)	<unknown>	5.1.2600.1106
MSDATSRC.TLB <unknown> Engelska (amerikansk) <unknown> 9.1.1117.0 built by: (_sqlbld)
ODBCCONF.EXE -2 Engelska (amerikansk) -2 3.525.1117.0 built by: (_sqlbld)
SIMPDATA.TLB <unknown> Engelska (amerikansk) <unknown> 2.81.1117.0 built by: (_sqlbld)

Edited by Elvi

Well... are they identical installations? I suspect at least some drivers might be different, not to mention whatever VM adds to the system by its own. Also I guess you didn't install HTML Help in the VM, while the real machine seems to have it (hhctrlui.dll belongs to it).

On the bright side, I think I found the error culprit: ODBCCONF.EXE. That one returns an error for the Translation block, error which I missed catching. It's fixed now in the upcoming version.

Still got a few details to fix - this subfolder search is kinda slow and not 100% accurate. Seems highly unlikely for all of your installed system files to be English versions (since none of them popped up in the list). So what am I doing wrong...? :unsure:

EDIT:

Application has been updated, version 0.5.0.0 is now available in the same post above. This one really works!

(this editing thing has become quite a bad habit of mine...:blushing: but better than double-posting, more so when we're not exactly on-topic. :angel )

Edited by Drugwash

No they arn't exact matches but they are clean installs with ie6sp1 in there, i think full installs of that + some drivers.

Only thing i know of the language localization 'n stuff it's in these numbers 850 and 1252 or 1250.

I would not want it on my system, Sometimes visual enhancements add to the feel of a operating system, but in this case I don't think that it adds anything.

Edited by pjmelect