Building MSI Package for deployment with AD

qpshelp

Hello all,

I'm really in need of help, as I've spent countless hours trying to get this done and I feel that i've gotten no where. We were released a private hotfix from microsoft because our sp2 xp clients couldn't view our SAN. I need to create an MSI to deploy this hotfix, using a /passive /promptrestart switch. Sounds simple.

I've gone through almost every program out there trying to figure out how to build this, and I can't figure it out. I attempted to use wininstal le that comes with windows, and it did not install the hotfix correctly. (the patch ran, but it did not correct the issue) Many people are telling me to use Wininstall LE, but I cant figure out how to get it so that it will launch the hotfix when the MSI runs, or better yet even add the switches.

I' m hoping someone here can maybe guide me through building this or tell me what I need to do in win install le to have it launch the file and install using switches. I will be using GP to deploy the MSI through AD. Again, I want the MSI to launch an exe with /passive and /promptrestart switches, and thats basically it.

I believe since I'm using GPO to deploy, I wont need to install using an admin account since the system account will be initiating the install. Anyone can confirm this please.

Thank you for your time!!

I am almost positive that there are switches used for the MS hotfixes that can install them silently. I remember reading it somewhere, I just don't remember where. If that is the case, what I would do (and what would be most simple imho) is repackage it using Winrar to create an SFX that extracts to a temp folder and runs a command (in this case: patch.exe /s or whatever it turns out to be). Just my opinion though. Hope I helped.

-redfive

p.s. you could also try Wise Packaging Studio or Installshield if you can get your company to spring for them.

Thank you for taking the time to read over my issue and try and help.

i tested wise packaging and was unable to figure out how to get it packaged to launch the patch.exe with the switches. this was the same for wininstall LE...Maybe someone can tell me how to get this patch to launch once i add it to the package? Also, is there a way i can have this patch install using the local admin account (without creating a revealing script) by somehow adding that to the package?

I basically need to find a good enough prog to do this, and maybe someone out there who can help me get a grasp on the program itself.

Regards

okay try doing this.....

a quick google search netted this little gem. MS patches use the

/z /m

Check out this link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=257946

switches to install silently without prompts. Try running the patch with those parameters and see if it works. If it DOES work then you do not need to even use Wise or Installshield. You can use the method I outlined in the previous post or you could have it run in their login script to run off the server.

Edited by redfive19

hi,

qpshelp correct me if i'm wrong, but when you use GP you can only install MSI packages... it's why you try to repackage it ?

Can't you just try to capture diff and repackage into an msi ?

cheers,

Donbi

I'm trying to repackage this because i want to be able to deploy it using GP. I know Active directory supports several other install types, but i read msi is the best to use. Ive tried capturing a diff with win install LE, but for some reason its not fixing the issue. (The MSI creates fine, installs fine, but the actually hotfix is not effective)

Edited by qpshelp