System Restore in Server 2003

Why isn't system restore available in W2K3.

It's an important service even on a server machine.

It shows but it's greyed out in msconfig.exe.

I sure miss it when installing new apps or services. :)

Any news about this?

Thanks

Not to sound like an a**, but System Restore is for people who often make mistakes with their OS. On a Server OS, you set up a running internet or intranet service, and leave it to do its job.

Sever Operating Systems are more in the hands of a System Adminstrator, and they are so much more accustomed to running backup tools such as Ghost and tape backups in the event of something going wrong. System Restore isn't a suitable tool for restoring a good configuration as it isn't 100% perfect, whereas an exact image duplicate is.

That's why MS removed it. :)

My understanding is that this feature has become relatively pointless with the introduction of Volume Shadow Copy. I always disable system restore on my XP machines, but back when I used ME (for like 2 weeks, it was such a horrible experience), I only used system restore to restore files I accidentally deleted. I actually prefer Volume Shadow Copy because it allows me to view up to 64 previous versions, taking up minimal space, and I choose which one to restore upon based on the data within it, instead of guessing and checking.