98 SE SP 2.1

Gape

These lines are deleted by me to reduce virus risks. (Some viruses are based on .vbs and .vbe scripts).

I see now. But they will be installed by default Internet Explorer setup anyway.

Petr

@ Petr,

thanks for your help,

there are some files that i translated myself into french because i didn't find it in that language.

and some files are still in english...

I will continue to improve the french version but this version of the SP works great...

bye

There is an excellent free tool for handling VB scripts and also other scripts. It is AnalogX Script Defender. What it does is that it registers itself as handler for several script files and asks you whether you want to run the script or not before it is executed.

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/sdefend.htm

The thing is that some people are using scripts to perform tasks on their OSes so that deleting the .vbs file association will create problems for them.

Maybe setting the default action for .vbs scripts to be opened by Notepad is a good solution. As for the .inf scripts, you'd be needing to right click and choose to run the script.

Maybe setting the default action for .vbs scripts to be opened by Notepad is a good solution. As for the .inf scripts, you'd be needing to right click and choose to run the script.

Thanks for the info. AnalogX Script Defender looks like a very good tool.

But SCR56.INF has already contain the setting for .vbs scripts to be opened by Notepad. :)

Hi,

the German localisation is actually finished, however there seems to be an issue with dsound.dll...

On a fresh installed Win98 SE (without updating to any superior DirectX version yet), Windows 98 complains:

"the following system files have been substituted by an older version. since they are in current use, they could not be repaired automatically..."

The original version of dsound.dll is 4.06.03.0518

The new dsound.dll was directly taken from the English version of SE SP 2.1

After a reboot, dsound.dll is still the old version!?

Is that because of:

Dsound.dll,,,1056 (instead of 1024)?

Beside that: again great job, gape!

Edited by swgreed

On a fresh installed Win98 SE (without updating to any superior DirectX version yet), Windows 98 complains:

"the following system files have been substituted by an older version. since they are in current use, they could not be repaired automatically..."

The original version of dsound.dll is 4.06.03.0518

The new dsound.dll was directly taken from the English version of SE SP 2.1

After a reboot, dsound.dll is still the old version!?

Is that because of:

Dsound.dll,,,1056 (instead of 1024)?

1024+32 means, copy file if exists and don't show version warning dialog.

1024 means only copy file if exists.

Maybe it's a language issue. Could you try to find German DirectX 7.0? If you can, try to replace it with German DSOUND.DLL from DirectX 7.0.

Maybe it's a language issue. Could you try to find German DirectX 7.0? If you can, try to replace it with German DSOUND.DLL from DirectX 7.0.

DSOUND.DLL from Q269604 is multi-language file, it contains resources in the following languages:

English, Czech, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, French, Dutch, Italian, Japanese, Korean German, Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian), Russian, Spanish (Mexico), Spanish (international), Spanish (traditional), Swedish.

Petr

I don't like that the timestamps on the recently added files opengl32.dll, jpegim32.flt, nscirda.sys, mswrd632.wpc was not preserved. :(

I believe that you were very careful about this previously.

Would you please fix it in the next version? Thanks!

I've found the source of the problem - DSOUND.DLL is also in SYSBCKUP folder.

Petr

Edit: No, it is strange, although the file is not installed by SESP21 into SYSBCKUP folder, it is there! Interesting.

Petr

Edited by Petr

I tried dsound.dll from a German DirectX 7.0, but the result is the same... :(

Even the English and the French Version show the same behaviour.

It still claims dsound.dll is in use.

(Do you do your test installations with an internal soundcard or without any sound hardware)

I wonder I'm the only one, who experiences this problem.

Test installations were done with a real PC as well as within a VM-Ware environment. Both the same error messages.

EDIT:

Edit: No, it is strange, although the file is not installed by SESP21 into SYSBCKUP folder, it is there! Interesting.

Petr

Yes, you're right... I guess that's it.

Edited by swgreed

I have an error :P

I install Win98SE

I install Internet Explorer 6 SP1 (build 2800) without reboot

I install SP2.1 without reboot

I reboot manually

And I have this after RunOnceEx

post-10366-1133133823_thumb.jpg

I have just swap ther order :

I install Win98SE

I reboot manually

And it works ...

But I think SP2.1 isn't fully installed/updated windows no ?

Note, I'm newbie about windows 98, and if I reboot between SP2 & IE6 there isn't problem, perhaps it's a fundamental law :(

Edited by sonic

I don't like that the timestamps on the recently added files opengl32.dll, jpegim32.flt, nscirda.sys, mswrd632.wpc was not preserved. :(

Are you sure? All files has their original timestamps.

It still claims dsound.dll is in use.

(Do you do your test installations with an internal soundcard or without any sound hardware)

I wonder I'm the only one, who experiences this problem.

Test installations were done with a real PC as well as within a VM-Ware environment. Both the same error messages.

Yes, I have two test systems, one of them is Virtual PC, the other one is a real PC with sound card. Both of them have no problem with DSOUND.DLL.

Does anyone have the same problem?

I have an error :P

Note, I'm newbie about windows 98, and if I reboot between SP2 & IE6 there isn't problem, perhaps it's a fundamental law :(

Yes, you must reboot after install IE 6.0. IE is a very big and complex software, so reboot is a must. On the other hand, some files are not localized in the French version, so maybe the problem is that [see Petr's post about French localization on the page 2].

[Copy.Sysbckup]

Configmg.vxd ;239887

should be 253711.

Petr

OK. Thanks.

1. whats the md5 on this ?

2. are we likely to see a bugfix release (on the few reported issues) ?

1. I will update my homepage and the topic with the MD5 info soon.

2. Only DSOUND.DLL problem is important. After analysing the problem, maybe I'll release a bug-fix release.

Edited by Gape