More Vista 5259 Screenshots!

Aegis

I have mixed feelings on the changes, in one respect the changes are pure obfuscation for the veteran windows user, but then again some of us used to use windows for workgroups (ah file manager hehe :P ).. we adapted to 95/98 ok.. 2000 wasnt hugely different at least in its interface.. then we adapted to XP ok.. surely Vista will just be another step? Besides, XP allowed use of different shellstyles so nobody is really stuck with that fisherprice toy theme if they dont like it - chances are thatll be the case with Vista too (with the added bonus of coupling custom themes/shellstyles with the advanced graphical features that Vista will offer)

Edited by ironfist241

Hmm...Vista now allows you to customize the color of your windows :D. What would be really cool is if instead of offering you a limited palette of colors, they could include the whole color wheel to choose from.

Not only is it Windows Mail, but the e-mail address for the "Windows Mail Team" on the welcome message is "msoe@microsoft.com", nice to see change kept consistant.

I am thinking some changes are just trivial, such as Windows Mail, Windows Internet Explorer. However, those changes are not pointless, they are to differentiate "Vista" (fab name) from previous versions of Windows and make us feel left behind.

The aesthetic changes, like the round start button seem to add little more than novelty value, and the updated programs are interesting to, such as the total overhaul which WMP10 has obviously undergone to become WMP11.

Overall it looks a very nice OS, but I struggle to keep myself from crying when I think what sort of monry I will end up spending on upgrading my hardware to support Vista and its renamed applications.

Edited by mendipjohn

To keep up with Vista, probably not all that much money actually. I've heard of Vista playing happy on systems such as PIII 600's with 256MB of RAM.

If you want all the fancy eye-candy of glass and such, then you'll need a hardware upgrade, yes.

I've heard of Vista playing happy on systems such as PIII 600's with 256MB of RAM.

I'm glad to hear that. :D

I saw wmp in there, is it on the net yet? Or do i have to get vista. :no:

Windows Media Player 11 Beta 1 Codenamed "Polaris" relaease date: around Jan-Feb 2006 !!

but i don't know if it is public beta or not !!

Edited by grafx1

I am thinking some changes are just trivial, such as Windows Mail, Windows Internet Explorer. However, those changes are not pointless, they are to differentiate "Vista" (fab name) from previous versions of Windows and make us feel left behind.

The windows mail and ie changes are amoungst the most important. Its important to realise that Windows Mail isn't a new name for Outlook Express, OE has sufferedwith a lot of security flaws, MS has completely rewritten a new mail program (obviously designed to be easy to use for those used to OE) to address these issues and allow vista to be a secure OS. Same story for IE, its got an improved (rewritten?) rendering engine and a lot of new features both to help combat application security vulnerabilities and attacks thru phishing scams, pop-ups and spyware.

The aesthetic changes, like the round start button seem to add little more than novelty value, and the updated programs are interesting to, such as the total overhaul which WMP10 has obviously undergone to become WMP11.

On the other hand, WiMP looks more like its just had a facelift and some aesthetic changes, the last overhaul was WMP9 with the new encoding formats (designed to combat new compression formats) since then, most of the changes to media player have been minor, but nice.

Its going to be a fine OS, but i think its important to consider this as a Win95 style release, not a WinXP release. Its prettier - but not for the sake of it, it looks better because the way windows are drawn is different now, it will (eventually) be faster, will enable us to take advantage of new devices and hardware. You'll like vista, just give it a chance and try to appreciate its a massive leap for the platform, not a tiny step like most previous releases.

On the other hand, WiMP looks more like its just had a facelift and some aesthetic changes, the last overhaul was WMP9 with the new encoding formats (designed to combat new compression formats) since then, most of the changes to media player have been minor, but nice.

That's pretty much what sells software today though. The common consumer will usually buy something based on ease-of-use (unless they need a specific feature). If Microsoft can make Windows Media Player easier for people to use, then it's a worthy investment in time. My parents have a difficult time finding things in WMP 10 (the default color scheme is horribly done - very hard on the eyes when it comes to reading the menus), so I've gone ahead and used the Classic skin. It doesn't really help that the WMP window itself doesn't look like all the rest of Windows, since people who are learning things like consistency. It looks to me like WMP11 will fit in nicely with the default Vista theme.

As for features... I use Winamp 5 for my music player, not because it's updated often or has new features all the time, but because of the media library. It's easy for me to navigate, and it's been there since V5.0 (current version is V5.1.1.2).

Winamp -> Music (WiMP doesn't support formats like OGG, the library needs some work and the interface is unintuitive)

BSplayer -> Video (WiMP has major problems dealing with dual screen; has crappy subtitle support)

EAC -> Ripping (WiMP only supports WMA -which is _really_ crappy and non-LAME MP3, the ripping itself isn't as accurate as EAC and doesn't get by Copy Control, the taggin is also unintuitive).

While it also has some good points, WiMP still has a lot of problems which need to be fixed, and MS better should pay attention to those instead of the GUI.