Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB

Hey guys!

Just thought i'd share my little episode with you all. Here's a warning...i used to think maxtors were pretty capable hard rives until this happened. I was sat there...and then suddenly my drive burst into flames!!! The drive was out of the case at the time but no were near anything that could cause it to short/overheat etc etc. The whole controller card is now mangled and 120gb went west! My brother also had the same happen to a similar maxtor drive of his too..SO DONT GO BUY ONE!

post-335-1132920671_thumb.jpg

You obviously didnt read my post properly.

Anyway...i have a Thermaltake Butterfly Psu 480W (7 Colours Flash, SATA, dual fan) + 2 way induction blower fan (separate) with dual fan speed control baybus for the psu and for the blower. Thermaltake Socket 754 Venus 12 Cooler (with 3 1/4" baybus adjustable fan speed controller)

80mm Thermaltake case fan

120mm Thermaltake LED Exhaust fan

120mm Thermaltake Induction fan

all fans are monitored via coolermaster aerogate 3 and temperatures are monitored also, south bridge,gpu,cpu,hdd.

Edited by Jay_Stealth

Hey guys!

Just thought i'd share my little episode with you all. Here's a warning...i used to think maxtors were pretty capable hard rives until this happened. I was sat there...and then suddenly my drive burst into flames!!! The drive was out of the case at the time but no were near anything that could cause it to short/overheat etc etc. The whole controller card is now mangled and 120gb went west! My brother also had the same happen to a similar maxtor drive of his too..SO DONT GO BUY ONE!

You Really expect someone to believe this..... :whistle: Your Harddrive just sitting there and then burst into flames....what is this a new "Spontanous Maxtor Combustion" Theory....if that actually happen....Why not Call Maxtor and explain this....'mishsp'...how your Harddrive just burst into Flames.

Maxtor Support:

1-800-262-9867 (U.S.A)

01923 71 24 48, Option 1 (UK only)

+353-1-204-1111 (Dial from ANYWHERE)

Edited by jroc

You Really expect someone to believe this..... :whistle: Your Hard drive just sitting there and then burst into flames....what is this a new "Spontaneous Maxtor Combustion" Theory....if that actually happen....Why not Call Maxtor and explain this....'mishsap'...how your Hard drive just burst into Flames.

Shoulda kept your HD well Hydrated. Without several cups of water (I keep mine submerged in water at all times), we all could fall victim to S.M.C. syndrome.....and don't laugh! It's not a theory, it's a sickness... :puke:

It is not his cooling.

Jay is my brother :)

1 month before that happened to him, i got home one day to be told my PC had almost set fire to the house. When i went to see why i found my Maxtor DiamonMAX V9 240GB had burst into flames on its own.

EXACT same chip as what happened to jay. We bought our drives at different times, from different stores. his was even a newer version (v10) to mine and a different size. i bought mine onlione from a store in surrey and i think jay got his from some other online site.

We BOTH then get the same thing happen. luckily only my HDD was killed -- though it was part of a 1TB raid array that is now rendered useless until i swap a control card onto the dead drive.. back its content onto a new drive.. and then put the good control card back on the drive i took it from.

i will NEVER buy another Maxtor drive after this. ive never known a PC to burst into FLAMES spontaneously like this unless hit by lightening or something.

Edited by FthrJACK

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well its the EXACT same chip on both drives that burst into flames. The one at the top of jays piccy, the small square chip, it has a wart like mark on it...

Exact same thing that mine did, chip got hot, ruptured a little "volcano" on it like in jays photo then set fire.. quite litteraly flames and the whole bit, to the board around it.

The fire was so hot it desoldered much of the circuits around it.

Edited by FthrJACK