Service Pack for Windows ME

the_guy

Q312586: Support for Euro Currency Characters with a Spanish (Traditional Sort) Keyboard Layout

This keyboard layout can be set in English Windows too, now it has to be considered if it is always better then the original one.

Q327517: New Dialing Rules in the Czech Republic Effective September 22, 2002

Just registry entry

How to install hotfixes that are included in cumulative security updates for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1

Just registry entry, necessary for installinq QFE versions instead of GDR versions of IE patches.

Then I'd consider:

wintrust.dll 5.131.2195.6824 (from KB835732)

crypt32.dll 5.131.2195.6824 (from KB835732)

dispex.dll should be used from Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, and Windows NT 4.0 package (45112 bytes).

I'm not sure what powercfg.cpl is better, if the original one (4.90.3000.1) or 5.00.3103.1000 ported from Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 to Windows 98 SE, hotfix Q258680: Screen Saver Activation While Suspended May Result in the Computer to Stop Responding. I see no difference. Maybe somebody with UPS?

wintrust.dll v5.131.2195.6824 (from Win2k KB835732) breaks WinME, I know for sure

crypt32.dll 5.131.2195.6824 (from Win2k KB835732) also broke WinME; sorry Petr.

those two files are specifically for Win2k SP4 only and dont work properly under other Windows versions.

Version 5.00.3103.1000 of powercfg.cpl also does not work properly under WinME as it messed up the Hibernate power management option on my ME machine. also DO NOT USE!

Use dispex.dll version 5.6.0.6626 dated 8/29/2002 from the Iemil_1.cab file of IE6 SP1 setup.

Edited by erpdude8

Use dispex.dll version 5.6.0.6626 dated 8/29/2002 from the Iemil_1.cab file of IE6 SP1 setup.
DISPEX.DLL 5.6.0.6626 is also included in [English]:

- MSE 5.6 build 5.6.0.8825 for Windows 98/NT4/ME [665 KB]:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/c...c1c/scr56en.exe

- MSE 5.6 build 5.6.0.6626 for Windows 95/OSR1/OSR2 [716 KB]:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/win...-US/scr56en.exe

Hope this helps.

I don't use system restore and system file protection on my ME system so I can't say too much but I am sure the original individual installers don't need an additional particular procedure such as killing stmgr.exe to properly install.

I have not tested the pack yet but I will in Qemu sometimes later or tomorrow. I'll also try to install normal individual updates as to try to see what happens with regards to SFP.

I have found a handy new application launcher for USB keys called Pstart with which I am going to move a set of diagnostic and monitoring utilities in the emulated OS.

PS : Off-topic : For some reason I can't manage to view or use forum properly with either IE5.5 or Opera since the latest maintenance but K-meleon works fine.

try using IE 5.5 SP2 eidenk. also avoid using both an IE and a non-IE browser to view MSFN.org forum sites. I did something like that (use IE6 SP1 and Opera 8.51) and either browser cant remember my login user name. stick to using either IE or Opera.

sorry eidenk but not every ME user is like you. I hardly disable sytem file protection on my WinME system unless I have to install certain unofficial patches under WinME (and then re-enable SFP after installing those patches). disabling SFP prevents the un-install of IE and many official MS IE updates. that I know for sure.

note to the_guy:

creating an un-installation confirmation dialog box for the ME service pack is somewhat easy.

view the contents of Gape's Win98se service pack in Winzip, extract the spuninst.inf file and open that file in Notepad. The [DefaultUninstall] section starts off with the following:

BeginPrompt = Uninst.BeginPrompt

Then go to the "Uninst.BeginPrompt" section of spuninst.inf file:

[uninst.BeginPrompt]

Prompt=%Begin_Uninstall_Prompt%

ButtonType=YESNO

Title=%Begin_Uninstall_Title%

then go to the bottom of the spuninst.inf file and you will see these lines:

Begin_Uninstall_Prompt = "Do you really want to remove Windows98 SE Service Pack?"

Begin_Uninstall_Title = "Windows98 SE Service Pack"

You may want to modify the spuninst.inf file in your WinME service pack and make the adjustments accordingly to add an uninstall confirmation box.

PS : Off-topic : For some reason I can't manage to view or use forum properly with either IE5.5 or Opera since the latest maintenance but K-meleon works fine.

try using IE 5.5 SP2 eidenk. also avoid using both an IE and a non-IE browser to view MSFN.org forum sites. I did something like that (use IE6 SP1 and Opera 8.51) and either browser cant remember my login user name. stick to using either IE or Opera.

OT: I never used any other browser than Mozilla Suite 1.7, Mozilla Seamonkey 1.0a, Mozilla Seamonkey 1.5a for viewing MSFN forum and I naver had any problem. All browsers can remember my login.

Petr

This is in reply to Post # 76:

Hi! This is just my 1st time to post in this forum.

My apologies but I would just like to know if there has been any latest version so far of the unofficial SP for WinME?

Your reply would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-KIKI-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi "the guy"!

My thanks for the information about the download of a3. I will immediately try this on 1 of my installed OSs, Win ME that is, as soon as I get home. :yes:

Hoping more success in any update soon!

Thanks!

-KIKI-

Hi again!

By the way, this may not be the best avenue for this inquiry, however, I would just like to know if there would be anyone who would have downloads that include all the fixes to upgrade Win95b to Win95C?

Likewise, has there been a version for any latest unofficial Win95 SP?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

-KIKI-

Hi again!

By the way, this may not be the best avenue for this inquiry, however, I would just like to know if there would be anyone who would have downloads that include all the fixes to upgrade Win95b to Win95C?

Thanks again!

-KIKI-

I have already answered this question, Kiki. updating win95b to win95c is easy. install osr2 usb supplement patch on top of win95b and make a registry change (you have to run Registry Editor to do that) from B to C. In Registry Editor, go to following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Change "SubVersionNumber" entry from " B" to " C". that is it. now it will be Win95C.

as for unofficial Win95 service pack, it's barely impossible to create one since Win95 is ancient history and barely nobody uses Win95 anymore; plus win95 needs several addons that may not even fit in the pack. Win95 is no longer suitable for today's world and has way too many flaws and so many third party software nowadays require at least Win98 or Win2000.

Edited by erpdude8

[

OT: I never used any other browser than Mozilla Suite 1.7, Mozilla Seamonkey 1.0a, Mozilla Seamonkey 1.5a for viewing MSFN forum and I naver had any problem. All browsers can remember my login.

Petr

I meant not using and IE & non-IE browser simultaneously, Petr. as for all web browsers on your machine remembering your login, if you clicked on the checkbox to remember your login then there is no problem.

I dont have that option on (checkbox UNchecked) to remember logins on my machine for security reasons.

I use Mozilla SeaMonkey 1.0 B which came out late December 2005. A final release of Seamonkey 1.0 is scheduled to be due sometime this late January.

I think the ME service pack is progressing more quickly that I expected; too bad the service pack for Win98 Gold isnt like that as the win98 gold service pack 2.01 alpha hasnt been updated for at least 6 months & needs a bunch of new updates/fixes.

Edited by erpdude8

the_guy:

I have discovered a way to install unofficial [packed with Iexpress using SED + INF scripts] WinME patches/fixes/updates directly, without the need for manually disabling System Restore [from Control Panel], or using CoolKill [or similar tool] to kill Stmgr.exe, or using MSCONFIG to disable Statemgr.exe etc... etc...

All you need is run NIRCMD [freeware]:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html

to kill the running SR [system Restore] + WFP [Windows File Protection] processes/TSRs/services.

You also need to delete %windir%\WININIT.LOG before attempting to copy any system files to %windir%\SYSTEM or to %windir% .

Optional:

You can also delete the backed up system files from C:\_RESTORE\TEMP [example used in ME912919.EXE patch which installs GDI32.DLL + GDI.EXE = see links further below]:

C:\_RESTORE\TEMP\GDI.0

C:\_RESTORE\TEMP\GDI32.0

This is my ME912919.INF example with necessary nircmd lines [must have START.EXE (from WinME setup CD) + NIRCMD.EXE ( http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html ) in the same directory where the *.INF files reside]:

; ME912919.INF = Unofficial Windows ME GDI32.DLL + GDI.EXE 4.90.3002 Q912919 Security Vulnerability Fix
[Version]
Signature=$CHICAGO$
AdvancedINF=2.0
[DefaultInstall]
DelFiles=LOG,GD0
CopyFiles=GDI,INF
AddReg=RX
UpdateInis=WX
RunPreSetupCommands=WL1
RunPostSetupCommands=WL2
[INF]
@DELWL.INF
[GD0]
GDI.0
GDI32.0
[LOG]
WININIT.LOG
[GDI]
GDI32.DLL
GDI.EXE
[RX]
HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RenameFiles\WININIT.LOG,,,%10%
HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RenameFiles\WININIT.LOG,WININIT.LOG,,"WININIT.LOG,0"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\000","DWL",,"RUNDLL32 %11%\ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection %17%\@DELWL.INF,DefaultInstall"
[WX]
%10%\WININIT.INI,Rename,,"NUL=%10%\WININIT.LOG"
[WL1]
"START /W NIRCMD killprocess STMGR.EXE"
"START /W NIRCMD killprocess STATEMGR.EXE"
"START /W NIRCMD killprocess RSTRLFN.EXE"
"START /W NIRCMD killprocess RSTRUI.EXE"
"START /W NIRCMD killprocess VXDMON.VXD"
[WL2]
"START /W NIRCMD killprocess STMGR.EXE"
"START /W NIRCMD killprocess STATEMGR.EXE"
"START /W NIRCMD killprocess RSTRLFN.EXE"
"START /W NIRCMD killprocess RSTRUI.EXE"
"START /W NIRCMD killprocess VXDMON.VXD"
[DestinationDirs]
INF=17
LOG=10
GDI=11
GD0=31,_RESTORE\TEMP
WX=10
[SourceDisksNames]
1=,,0

ME912919.INF also uses @DELWL.INF to delete WININIT.LOG after next reboot:

[Version]
Signature=$CHICAGO$
AdvancedINF=2.0
[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=AR
DelFiles=LOG,GD0
[WX]
%10%\WININIT.INI,Rename,,"NUL=%10%\WININIT.LOG"
[AR]
HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RenameFiles\WININIT.LOG,,,%10%
HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RenameFiles\WININIT.LOG,WININIT.LOG,,"WININIT.LOG,0"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","DX0",,"RUNDLL32 %11%\ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection %17%\@DELWL.INF,DX"
[LOG]
WININIT.LOG
[DX]
DelFiles=LOG,INF
[INF]
@DELWL.INF
[GD0]
GDI.0
GDI32.0
[DestinationDirs]
LOG=10
INF=17
WX=10
GD0=31,_RESTORE\TEMP
[SourceDisksNames]
1=,,0

I use both INFs above to install this patch:

* Unofficial Windows ME Graphics Rendering Engine GDI32.DLL + GDI.EXE build 4.90.3002 Security Vulnerability Fix:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms06-001.mspx

Direct download [392 KB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/ME912919.EXE

More info:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46581&st=193

This way I have successfully installed the ME912919.EXE patch on a WinME computer with SR/WFP running [stmgr, statemgr, rstrui, rstrlfn + vxdmon.vxd].

Please try this patch on your WinME computer, and see if it works properly [if it doesn't work, SR will restore old GDI*.* files from backups :(].

Hope this helps.

Edited by MDGx

Hi again!

Thanks again!

-KIKI-

I have already answered this question, Kiki. updating win95b to win95c is easy. install osr2 usb supplement patch on top of win95b and make a registry change (you have to run Registry Editor to do that) from B to C. In Registry Editor, go to following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Change "SubVersionNumber" entry from " B" to " C". that is it. now it will be Win95C.

as for unofficial Win95 service pack, it's barely impossible to create one since Win95 is ancient history and barely nobody uses Win95 anymore; plus win95 needs several addons that may not even fit in the pack. Win95 is no longer suitable for today's world and has way too many flaws and so many third party software nowadays require at least Win98 or Win2000.

Hi Sir!

My apologies if I asked the same question. You see it was unintentional & I only tried asking about the same thing before you replied as I thought nobody read my question. I think I posted the same message about the same time. Please know that I was already fine with the 1st answer.

Again, no offense meant.

As for the Win95 SP, I was just hinking it there would be somebody out there still tinkering with me. You see, I have all WinOS installed in my multi-boot setup & another set as virtual drives.

I am using all the OSs to be able to come up with tools for troubleshooting, specifically taking screenshots of OS native tools.

Thanks much again!

-KIKI-

Edited by Kiki Burgh

Hey all,

You guys can expect a new version by this weekend. Some things are fixed:

1) System Restore/SFP are automatically disabled before and after the main update.

2) 908519 is added (With the correction required to the QFE info section).

3) Configmg.vxd 4.90.3002 is added

4) Pci.vxd is now version 4.90.3003

5) WUINFO.INF is fixed

6) There is a prompt before uninstall starts

I have a few questions before I release the next version:

1) Should the unofficial updates (krnl386.exe and update.sys) be moved to the SO2.CAB folder (and thus being preserved like the other files)

2) Should the unofficial 912919 update be installed with the main update or the unofficial updates?

3) Should I merge the main update and the unofficial update sections?

the_guy

Hey all,

You guys can expect a new version by this weekend. Some things are fixed:

1) System Restore/SFP are automatically disabled before and after the main update.

2) 908519 is added (With the correction required to the QFE info section).

3) Configmg.vxd 4.90.3002 is added

4) Pci.vxd is now version 4.90.3003

5) WUINFO.INF is fixed

6) There is a prompt before uninstall starts

I have a few questions before I release the next version:

1) Should the unofficial updates (krnl386.exe and update.sys) be moved to the SO2.CAB folder (and thus being preserved like the other files)

2) Should the unofficial 912919 update be installed with the main update or the unofficial updates?

3) Should I merge the main update and the unofficial update sections?

the_guy

Another thing to add is the newer U891711 patch revised 1/5/2006 which fixes a "GlobalMemory" problem that caused performance drops in some computers. please post up the link to the latest ME pack when you are ready, the_guy.

where is the ME pack by this week :(:(:(

TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE STAR!

Im Power Puff Girl!

latest release of ME pack isnt quite ready yet. contact the_guy, send him an email and ask him when it will be ready.

Uh, which power puff girl are you, suta? do you even watch that show?