Service Pack for Windows ME

the_guy

But what is the meaning of "Options" and "Install" directories?

During a fresh install of WinMe, all the setup files are copied by setup into windir/options/install. When installing a hotfix, updated files are also copied into this directory and into a sibling directory windir/options/cabs. AFAIK runing setup again should use the updated files copied in those directories instead of the original ones in the cabs.

"This update is only for *ENGLISH* version of Windows Millennium Edition (4.90.3000). This update is NOT from Microsoft. It is a unofficial compilation of Microsoft's update files and more."

BTW, Microsoft uses often also "Microsoft Windows Millenium Edition" spelling, with one "n" only, especially in the MS Knowledgebase it is confusing.

Petr

the word "millennium" is commonly misspelled the first time, Petr. I looked at most of the MS KB articles and MS does spell it with two n's instead of one. I think they made the corrections.

There are also some other things I will be changing:

-Updating Adaptec ASPI to 4.71a2

the_guy

Why would you do this ? Everyone says (me included) that 4.60 performs better.

uh yeah, everyone except me. The Adaptec ASPI v4.71 drivers worked fine on my WinME system. I even installed them on my brother's XP laptop machine and they worked fine. and the v4.71 drivers are more

compatible with ME/XP/2k3 systems than the v4.60 drivers. go for it, the_guy.

other inclusions for the WinME pack I like to see:

-unofficial winme krnl386.exe 4.90.3001 patch [fixes a bug that microsoft forgot to patch]

-unofficial winme update.sys 4.90.3001 patch

-Metapad 3.51 [new release]

BTW - Win2000, XP & 2003 hotfixes also use .CAT files. some but not all Win98se hotfixes also contain .CAT files to digitally sign updated files.

Actually in the UK there is only one user of Windows ME and that's me. (Joke) Seriously it must as low or almost as low as in the Czech Republic I believe which bears the question whether a service pack is really worth the effort. Rhelic from the US posted a stat of hits on a website in the form of a graphic the other day. Windows ME did not even appear on it.

good thing I had tested the ME service pack on two ME machines (one slow and one fast).

alpha 1 of the ME pack is a DUD! after I clicked on OK to install the Main hotfixes from the ME pack,

the pack crashed with a RUNDLL32 error message. and many of the updated files did NOT install.

what a bummer! It kept on crashing each time it tried to install the fixes, even when ME's SFP feature

was disabled completely [on BOTH computers].

I noticed the ME pack was created with version 5.0.2920.0000 of the Wextract. Try creating the ME pack

with version 6.0.2800.1106 of Wextract instead. The 98FE and 98SE packs were created from version

6.00.2800.1106 of Wextract.

Hey guys.

I have updated metapad.exe to 3.51. I have also added U891711. It is uploaded to filefactory.com. I will not update the ASPI layer until enough people want it. I have also added numerous updates. They are:

and some other updates that mdgx has posted. I have also added some other files that people have suggested. I was asked to add rpclt4.dll version 4.71.3336.0. Does ME include a newer version? I have removed the 2000 color scheme.

The download link is here.

This version is alpha 2.

the_guy