Service Pack for Windows ME

the_guy

Ok. I'll move it over to a 98SE machine to make the package. What version of the iexpress utilities should i use?

Also, in your last post, where in the SED file does that go?

the_guy

Ok. I'll move it over to a 98SE machine to make the package. What version of the iexpress utilities should i use?

Also, in your last post, where in the SED file does that go?

I never had any problem with iexpress from ieak6 sp1.

I think erpdude8 already mentioned that the date problem is just with makecab that comes with Windows XP.

VersionInfo=VersionSection belongs to main section, strings section you already have, and version section I'd put before the string section.

Petr

Thanks Petr. Added!

Note about file version: The last digit is the beta version. I plan on upgrading to 2.0.3 for RC's and 2.1.0 for the final (whenever that is).

Runtimes for VS.NET 2002/2003/2005 are also removed. I plan on making an executable for runtimes if no one else beats me to it. This should save hard drive space.

the_guy

EDIT: It appears that the SP2.CAB has messed up date stamps. I will try with makecab.exe 1.0.601.0 to see if that fixes it.

Edited by the_guy

Petr hit it right on the nose. the XP SP2 versions of iexpress/makecab/wextract do NOT take account of the Modified Dates of the files I used to make the betas of the Win98FE SP2. I've decided to create them by using the iexpress/makecab/wextract EXE files from IE6 SP1 which DO retain the Modified Dates of files.

I never had any problem with iexpress from ieak6 sp1.

I think erpdude8 already mentioned that the date problem is just with makecab that comes with Windows XP.

VersionInfo=VersionSection belongs to main section, strings section you already have, and version section I'd put before the string section.

Petr

AND the MAKECAB problem also happens when using the Win2000 and Win2003/Vista versions of makecab.exe.

Do NOT use any more Win2000 versions of iexpress/makecab/wextract to make future releases of the ME SP, the_guy. Use those 3 files provided from the IEAK 6.0 SP1 pack. I can send them to you if you want or you can extract them from the ieak6.exe file. You will need to download the ieak6.exe file from this site first:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ie6...EN-US/ieak6.exe

then extract the iexpress.exe, makecab.exe and wextract.exe files onto a folder. personally I put those 3 files into the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ folder.

I'm using iexpress.exe and wextract.exe from IEAK6 (as of the next release). I am using makecab.exe from the cabsdk. I believe that is the only version that doesn't have the time/date stamp problem.

the_guy

I believe that is the only version that doesn't have the time/date stamp problem.

I used makecab.exe from the IEAK 6 SP1 pack which is version 5.1.2600.1106 dated 8/29/2002 and it also does not have the date-time stamp problem.

You might also want to edit your SED file of creating ME SPs and display a message like "This Service Pack is for Windows ME only" when someone tries to run the ME SP under a non-ME version of Windows.

I think you have to edit the TargetWin9xVersion line like this:

TargetWin9xVersion=4.90.3000:%OSWarn%:0K

Then in the [string] section of the SED file, put under it-

OSWarn=This Service Pack is for Windows ME only

I will make beta 3 of the 98fe sp2.01 to something similar to that.

Edited by erpdude8

True.

You can use any version of iexpress.exe + wextract.exe [i use newest from 2003 SP1 + 2003 CD], but you have to use older makecab.exe from IEAK 6.0 SP1, otherwise file date/time stamps will be lost.

the_gui:

I have a few questions about ME SP1 2.02 beta 4:

Where did you get VMOUSE.VXD 4.90.3003 from?

I can't find the hotfix which installs this anywhere.

D3DIM700.DLL 4.07.00.0723 is older than the one from DirectX 9.0c, which is 4.09.00.0902.

Your older one should be removed.

Are these Unicode? If they are, they should be removed:

MSVCP50.DLL 5.00.7051

MSVCP60.DLL 6.02.3104.0

MSVCRT.DLL 6.10.9844.0

RICHED.DLL + RICHED32.DLL = can be safely removed, they are from WinME setup CD-ROM CABs files.

You probably got them from CRYPTME.EXE at my site [i added them for completeness].

EXTRAC32.EXE = is older than Win2003 CD version, which is the one I use in 98SE2ME.

The one you have is from WinXP SP2.

This older one has larger file size, too.

If you install 98SE2ME, you'll find the newer one in C:\9!M .

BTW:

Uploaded here:

* Unofficial Windows ME Service Pack 1 (SP1) v2.02 Beta 4:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=61407

ME SP1 [27.5 MB, English, free]:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/MESP202B4.EXE

HTH

Edited by MDGx

the_gui:

I have a few questions about ME SP1 2.02 beta 4:

Where did you get VMOUSE.VXD 4.90.3003 from?

I can't find the hotfix which installs this anywhere.

That hotfix comes with the Intellimouse software.

D3DIM700.DLL 4.07.00.0723 is older than the one from DirectX 9.0c, which is 4.09.00.0902.

Done! Note that I didn't add the newer version.
Are these Unicode? If they are, they should be removed:

MSVCP50.DLL 5.00.7051

MSVCP60.DLL 6.02.3104.0

MSVCRT.DLL 6.10.9844.0

I don't think so. If anyone finds out otherwise, let me know.

RICHED.DLL + RICHED32.DLL = can be safely removed, they are from WinME setup CD-ROM CABs files.

You probably got them from CRYPTME.EXE at my site [i added them for completeness].

Done!

EXTRAC32.EXE = is older than Win2003 CD version, which is the one I use in 98SE2ME.

The one you have is from WinXP SP2.

This older one has larger file size, too.

If you install 98SE2ME, you'll find the newer one in C:\9!M .

Done.
BTW:

Uploaded here:

* Unofficial Windows ME Service Pack 1 (SP1) v2.02 Beta 4:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=61407

ME SP1 [27.5 MB, English, free]:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/MESP202B4.EXE

HTH

Thanks MDGx,

the_guy

I don't think so. Not everybody has DirectX 9.0c installed.

Gape's uSP cntains also many files replaced by IE 5.01SP2/5.5SP2/6.0SP1.

Petr

Beta 5 now available.

Notable changes:

*Removed unneeded runtimes

*Removed Flash and Shockwave Players

*Removed riched.dll and riched32.dll

*Updated extrac32.exe

*Fixed Timestamps (iexpress.exe/wextract.exe updated to 2003 version, makecab.exe downgraded to ieak6 version)

*Other fixes

Link is here until MDGx uploads to his server.

Also, I think this might be the last version before I make an RC, unless there are any major bugs.

the_guy

EDIT: Link pulled.

Edited by the_guy

Petr, the_guy, eidenk, MDGx and anyone else reading this thread:

I want to get your opinions on what Tareek was suggesting on improving UNICODE support for WinME. Here's his latest quote:

Thanks erpdude8.

Some time before, (I) needed better unicode support in Win ME, for my old machines (overclocked) (right now i have 2), (now they are Servers). Then i realized, if those tools are readily available, then many one's could have still use the old machines with the newer soft (which are still released for Win9x/ME).

At the beginning, wasn't able to see/read many websites, or, use many soft with unicode character support for document editing, then, further enhancements helped to reach the goal. (I) needed unicode support mostly for viewing unicode characters, writing/editing documents with unicode characters, etc.

PCs were much faster with ME than XP. One PC (have three partitions, DOS, Linux, ME, XP,) i use for surfing the net and soft test, already contains MSLU, opencow.dll, reg-hack, etc for unicode support. Even though by enabling the unicode support, overall performance gets lower, still faster than normal XP. When unnecessary graphics features are temporarily disabled in XP, then XP gives better performance than before, but still cannot beat ME (in many areas, for a old machine, with smaller hard-drive space).

Few more tools mentioned below, if for some reason, "the_guy" or one of you, have enough time to look into these, he/she may include/choose these or something better, in one package. Then, those who needs to make old PCs still effective even in multilingual app/soft areas, can use these tools. Very effective for the users of those countries or in school, which still uses comparatively older PCs.

Unicode Support on Windows 98, ME :

thanks.

oh ... NO :no: ... this posting is big ... bunch of useless info ... may be, it should have been posted in some unicode related thread ... if they are not repetitions :unsure: ...

:);)

As for MFC42.DLL version 6.2.4131, have you got any real reason to tell me to AVOID using it, such as you tried it yourself and it screwed something in your system ?

I am running this file since some time and I have noticed nothing wrong so far. Also I have always seen that the unicode version of mfc42.dll is named mfc42u.dll. Granted I have not seen yet a mfc42u.dll 6.2.4131. But would MFC42.DLL version 6.2.4131 it run at all on my system if it was unicode ?

ok I stand corrected. works good but this time I got MFC42.DLL version 6.6.8063.0 from Windows Server 2003 SP1.

@erpdude8: I think it would be a good idea, but it just wouldn't be put into the SP as I feel it would be too big and bulky. Also, that new version of mfc42.dll will be included in the next version.

the_guy