Service Pack for Windows ME

the_guy

Sorry MDGx.

I did mean 906216.

The only files I added so far were msvcp60.dll, triedit.dll, and mfc42.dll. eidenk said that they worked on ME. The ones I have are in the system32 directory (except triedit.dll), right?

the_guy

PS. Does anyone know the switch to not have the google toolbar install with Shockwave?

@Eidenk: could you also check that msvbvm60.dll version 6.0.96.90 (from xpsp2 i believe) works properly on ME?

I have three different msvbvm60.dll version 6.0.96.90 that I can try. Is that newer/better than the usual 6.0.97.82 (of which I know only one binary) ?

if you install various software packages, some developers don't account for other OSes than the ones intended to install their software on, so if they bundle Unicode versions of DLLs/OCXs/etc, some of those might install on 9x/ME [because some setup packages don't include OS version check], but the problem is that they won't work unless installed on NTx OSes.

And the bigger problem is that when they install such unicode DLLs, they don't even check for previous versions, so if theirs are newer, they will overwrite the older ones you might have.

There may be others but it is a potential problem I have noticed only with atl.dll which can be either ansi or unicode and there is no newer version than 3.0.9782.0 AFAIK.

Files I am speaking about are in use without apparent problems here which is why I am suggesting them and I'd like also to point out that none of those I have suggested have a (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 or similar) flag in their file description version but I don't know if all the files included in the XP service packs have such flags.

This said I have intercepted for example quite a few msvcrt.dll version 7 before wininit copied them over the one on my disk and never finally tried any of them because they have an unresolved dependency, but who knows, they might work as well. Doing that I have collected so far 4 different binaries of msvcrt.dll 7.0.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148), 2 different binaries of msvcrt.dll 7.0.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) and one binary of 7.0.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158). Off topic again, but do you think those files are hacks or has Microsoft distributed some XP and SP1 with slightly different binaries ?

As you can read above they apparently come from XP, XP SP1 and XP SP2 originally. Anyway it was not for suggesting their inclusion in the SP but rather to answer mdgx and try to get a clue as to what those different binaries for the same file version are about.

I have just looked into the dotnet 1.1 and 2.0 installers, they aren't there apparently.

The only file of a version 7 there is in them appears to be msvcr71.dll 7.10.3052.4 in dotnet 1.1.

To my knowledge msvcrt.dll 7.xx.xxxx [all builds] are only for XP/2003/Vista.

I don't think they would work properly with 9x OSes.

Most newer XP patches contain the "xpsp_sp2_rtm" or "xpsp_sp2_qfe" or "xpclient" identification strings, but there are some 9x patches [probably the ones for MS IE 6.0 SP1] that contain similar strings, because they were built by same developers [?] at the same time, and they didn't care to remove them.

Newer Win2000 + Win2003 patches have similar id strings.

I believe MSVCR71.DLL 7.10.3052.4 installs as part of NFR 1.1 and/or NFR 2.0:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#NFR

and is compatible with 9x OSes.

Same goes for:

ATL71.DLL

MFC71.DLL

MSVCP71.DLL

Msvbvm60.dll, msvcp60.dll + mfc42.dll should be in %windir%\system on all 9x OSes, not in %windir%\system32 . If these [and other files] have been installed in %windir%\system32 , that means that those programs were meant for NTx OSes, and their authors didn't account for/care about users installing on 9x OSes.

On 9x OSes, the only files you should have in %windir%\system32 are *.SYS files [WDM drivers] + GM.DLS [and eventually a GM TXT file].

Triedit.dll should be in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Triedit" [default].

eidenk:

If you already tried newer msvcp60.dll + mfc42.dll with WinME [must be located in %windir%\system], then they should work with all 9x OSes.

Make sure you tried apps that use those files.

Examples:

Msvbvm60.dll installs as part of VB6 SP6 [or newer] package:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#VB6

Install and run an app that makes use of VB6.

If it works ok, then it's ok to use it.

Msvcp60.dll + mfc42.dll install as part of VS6 [or newer]:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#VS6

Install and run an app that makes use of VS6.

If it works ok, then it's ok to use it.

HTH

How about the newer VC8 runtime library? It's available for Win9x, according to MS. I installed the package some time ago, as it was needed by a plug-in in an application I use (Miranda IM) and recently there's been another plug-in linked to it. Seems to work.

Did anybody else test it? Any chance it would make it in beta 5? Now with this VS2005 being more and more used by the developers, I think there will be lots of applications linking to msvcr80.dll and the like.

Where could I obtain those files at? If they are just on a CD, I don't think i'd put them in.

Which files are you speaking about ?

Do you mean triedit.dll 6.1.0.9227 and mfc42.dll 6.2.4131.0 ?

If so, I don't know where I got them from. I regularly install a lot of software and it probably came with one of them. I collect any MS files from those installers whatever the version even if I know I have got a file of such or such version number already as I found out that there are quite a few of those files that are not binary identical.

For mfc42.dll - 6.2.4131.0, I have two different files for example :

mfc42.dll - 6.2.4131.0 - 1,028,096 bytes - 04 August 2004, 01:57:24 - 6a420038c8f8fde9048a569d1663b908

mfc42.dll - 6.2.4131.0 - 1,028,096 bytes - 09 November 2005, 09:21:22 - 4602907535fd682195dfff9117365826

Differences are quite big as a binary compare finds 29.000 differences or so but I had both running without apparent problem.

Certainly the one you install is safer as I know only of one binary of build 6.0.9782.0.

As for triedit.dll, as dhtml.ocx is updated, I thought it could be a good idea if triedit.dll was updated as well. I know two versions more recent than the one in IE6SP1, 6.1.0.9211 and 6.1.0.9227 (currently installed on my system). But I don't exactly know where they do come from.

There is also a msvcp60.dll more recent than the one in your pack. It is version 6.2.3104.0. I have 4 different binaries of it. For version 6.0.8972.0 (the one you install), I have six different binaries.

It is a bit beyond topic but I'd appreciate anyone who's got as little a clue as to what this mess is about with different binaries for the same version number.

Also I am currently looking into your previous pack and it seems it seems it is already beta 4 : mesp202en-b4.exe (91e2d0a6943632c574f68f473545844b). So please make your next one to be beta 5 and not beta 4 again.

If you want any of the above files, if only to look at them or test them, just PM me with an email and I'll send them to you.

TRIEDIT.DLL file gets installed in the \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\TRIEDIT\ folder.

AVOID using MFC42.DLL file version 6.2.4131. It may be a UNICODE version, which means it's meant ONLY for Win2k/XP/2k3 systems and NOT for Win9x/ME. sitck with using ver. 6.0.8972 of MFC42.DLL file which is an ANSI version that is compatible with Win9xME.

BTW:

Shockwave has been updated last week to new version:

http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#SHFL

FYI:

All Adobe packages installed from the internet now bundle Google toolbar for respective OSes.

Example: Shockwave 10.1c [10.1.3.018] bundles Google toolbar 3.0.131.0 [last release for 9x OSes].

Adobe/Macromedia Shockwave version 10.1c requires Win98/2k/ME/XP. Will NOT install nor run under Win95/NT4. Win95 & NT4 users should get Shockwave 8.5 instead.

Edited by erpdude8

TRIEDIT.DLL file gets installed in the \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\TRIEDIT\ folder.

AVOID using MFC42.DLL file version 6.2.4131. It may be a UNICODE version, which means it's meant ONLY for Win2k/XP/2k3 systems and NOT for Win9x/ME. sitck with using ver. 6.0.8972 of MFC42.DLL file which is an ANSI version that is compatible with Win9xME.

I don't know why they dump this triedit.dll file at this location as it just would be better located in the system dir IMO. That's where mine is. It's a COM object, it can go anywhere. It just needs to be registered.

As for MFC42.DLL version 6.2.4131, have you got any real reason to tell me to AVOID using it, such as you tried it yourself and it screwed something in your system ?

I am running this file since some time and I have noticed nothing wrong so far. Also I have always seen that the unicode version of mfc42.dll is named mfc42u.dll. Granted I have not seen yet a mfc42u.dll 6.2.4131. But would MFC42.DLL version 6.2.4131 it run at all on my system if it was unicode ?

It seems that the Shockwave Installer Full for 10.1.3.018 has neither the Yahoo Toolbar or the Google Toolbar. I managed to swim my way through the muck that is the Adobe/Macromedia mess of a website and found the full installer.

It does not prompt for or install either toolbar! Of course, the normal link is to the Slimpack Shockwave installer which does have the new Google stuff.

They seem to enjoy hiding things, and always have. I remember searching for problems with Shockwave Director enabled programs all over the Macromedia site and the only link to a full explanation of the bugs being encountered was from someone's forum post on an unrelated website! It linked to a document on the Macromedia site that was seemingly not findable while searching the site itself. Why make web pages with no links to them?

How about the newer VC8 runtime library? It's available for Win9x, according to MS. I installed the package some time ago, as it was needed by a plug-in in an application I use (Miranda IM) and recently there's been another plug-in linked to it. Seems to work.

Did anybody else test it? Any chance it would make it in beta 5? Now with this VS2005 being more and more used by the developers, I think there will be lots of applications linking to msvcr80.dll and the like.

VC8 [a.k.a. VC2005] is here:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#VS6

Official from MS, final RTM version, not beta/RCx.

From page above:

Visual C++ 2005 (VC2005) Run-Time Components Redistributable for Windows

98/2000 SP3/ME/XP SP2/2003 installs NEWER C Runtime (CRT), Standard C++ (SCL),

ATL, MFC, OpenMP + MSDIA ATL80.DLL, MFC80.DLL, MFC80U.DLL, MFCM80.DLL,

MFCM80U.DLL, MSVCM80.DLL, MSVCP80.DLL + MSVCR80.DLL Control Libraries (DLLs):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...99-220B62A191EE

VC2005 Redist [2.56 MB]:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/3...credist_x86.exe

HTH

Edited by MDGx

MFC42.DLL for NTx OSes [unicode] also uses MFC42U.DLL, which is Unicode only.

There is no counterpart in 9x OSes for mfc42u.dll.

BTW:

Older MFC42D.DLL [ANSI] for 9x OSes is DEBUG version [D], and should be deleted [back it up if u like], unless you have any older program(s) that require it [?]. Then replace it with MFC42.DLL RETAIL version, which should be properly registered:

regsvr32 %windir%\system\mfc42.dll

after being copied to %windir%\system .

FYI:

It's actually pretty easy to test if MFC*.DLL and/or MSVC*.DLL files are compatible with 9x OSes:

copy the DLL you wish [1 at a time] to test into %windir%\system , then regsvr32 it, and then run a Visual Studio, Visual C++ and/or Visual Basic app.

Make sure your VC/VC++/VS/VB apps were developed for 9x OSes.

If the app works properly, then you have an ANSI version, otherwise it's Unicode.

HTH