the_guy

• 2 weeks later...

FYI:

* Unofficial Windows ME Service Pack 1 (SP1) 2.02 Beta 9:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=61407

ME SP1 [20.9 MB, English, free]:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/MESP1.EXE

HTH

The new WinMe SP has caused the same errors as the 3 previous unofficial SP versions I have tried. When I try to open the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary, which I use a lot, I get this popup (***** MWEBCD - "FATAL ERROR: Unable to find the dictionary file!" *****). I also tried un-installing the SP from Add/Remove Programs and ,again, get this same error during the reboot: "Error loading gdi.exe. You must reinstall Windows." I re-imaged, again, so all is well.

These install attempts (installing only the updates & hotfixes) are being tried on a new rig I recently had built, it's still an 'internet virgin', no other updates. Keep up the good work. I'll be watching for the next unofficial release.

• 1 month later...
The new WinMe SP has caused the same errors as the 3 previous unofficial SP versions I have tried. When I try to open the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary, which I use a lot, I get this popup (***** MWEBCD - "FATAL ERROR: Unable to find the dictionary file!" *****). I also tried un-installing the SP from Add/Remove Programs and ,again, get this same error during the reboot: "Error loading gdi.exe. You must reinstall Windows." I re-imaged, again, so all is well.

RE-install the Merriam-Webster Dictionary program from your CD (hey, I have this kind of program).

I'll have to check on the spupdate.inf and spuninst.inf files of the ME service pack and help the_guy correct problems with them. It looks like the wrong version of gdi.exe was restored (most likely from the mini.cab file when it should be restoring gdi.exe from any of the win_*.cab files).

RE-install the Merriam-Webster Dictionary program from your CD (hey, I have this kind of program).

I'll have to check on the spupdate.inf and spuninst.inf files of the ME service pack and help the_guy correct problems with them. It looks like the wrong version of gdi.exe was restored (most likely from the mini.cab file when it should be restoring gdi.exe from any of the win_*.cab files).

I had already tried twice, in two different ways, in re-installing the dictionary from the CD. One way (twice done) was already having the dictionary installed prior to installing the SP, then un-installing it and re-installing it. Same error. The other way (twice done) was by NOT having the dictionary installed, installing the SP, then installing the dictionary. Same error. In both scenarios, the install(s) did not have any problem, the error appeared in all instances upon launching the program.

These un-installs and installs were also carefully triple cross-checked by MS RegClean, jv16 PowerTools, and SystemSuite Registry Cleaner for any components left behind in the registry that might have caused any error, as well as checking the HD for any files or folders left behind.

I had noted in my original post that this was a new rig I had custom build. I should add that the OS install was done with a new MS-CD of Windows Millennium purchased 9/12/3, and that I had 137 other programs installed at that point, the dictionary being the only one with error.

If I can be of any help in resolving the matter, please respond with any requests. Thank you for the response erpdude8.

• 1 month later...
These un-installs and installs were also carefully triple cross-checked by MS RegClean, jv16 PowerTools, and SystemSuite Registry Cleaner for any components left behind in the registry that might have caused any error, as well as checking the HD for any files or folders left behind.

MS RegClean is totally crap and worthless under WinME, txagpilot. You should have used WinME's built-in Registry Checker [scanreg.exe or Scanregw.exe] program since it does a far better job checking for and fixing registry problems. MS RegClean is barely incompatible with WinME and can wreck an ME computer. any other registry utilities (beside Regclean) are okay by me.

After un-installing the Merriam-Webster Dictionary app, delete all registry entries referencing it, reboot WinME and re-install it; don't install the Merriam-Webster Dictionary Macros for Microsoft Word if you do not have MS Word installed, so I would do a Custom install of this program instead. Also, you may want to get the latest version of this app. I have version 3.0 of this program.

I've contacted the_guy almost a month ago about the problems with the latest beta of his WinME SP but got no response back. Seems like he's currently busy.

Edited by erpdude8

• 3 months later...

Hi the_guy:

Recently I download windows me sp1 2.02beta9 from mdgx.com. After I install it everything is working fine but after that, i tried to uninstall it. During the uninstallation process it show a file '1028' not found from precopy.cab. But i tried to locate it manually still cannot so I click the 'skip file'.

Then I restart my pc and it can't access windows me and turn off automatiaclly.

Anybody can help?

Hi, txagpilot!

I suggest you try the following:

1) Start from a re-imaged partition.

2) Make back-up copies of gdi.exe and gdi32.dll and store them in a new folder named prevgdi.

3) Install windows me sp1 2.02beta9

4) Make back-up copies of gdi.exe and gdi32.dll and store them in a new folder named nextgdi.

5) Disable file protection

6) Make a snapshot of the registry with regshot 1.8.1

7) Install the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary

8) Make the 2nd snapshot of the registry with regshot 1.8.1 and create the difference file. Now you'll know exactly what has chabged.

9) Test the dictionary. It probably won't work.

10) Uninstall it with a bootable floppy on the FDD, so that it boots to DOS

11) From DOS, copy gdi.exe and gdi32.dll from nextgdi to %windir%/system.

12) Eject the DOS floppy and reboot again. Hopefully it won't give you the error loading gdi.exe.

13) In case it does give the error all the same, repeat 11-12 using the files fro prevgdi.

Wow! Its a lot of work and won't necessarily solve the problem with the dictionary directly, but will provide you with more info to do it and maybe will solve the problem with the Add/Remove removal of the dictionary.

Sorry if I wasn't able to come up with something easier to do or more effective, but I think these steps really may be of help in finding the cause to your main problem. Good luck!

Hi the_guy:

Recently I download windows me sp1 2.02beta9 from mdgx.com. After I install it everything is working fine but after that, i tried to uninstall it. During the uninstallation process it show a file '1028' not found from precopy.cab. But i tried to locate it manually still cannot so I click the 'skip file'.

Then I restart my pc and it can't access windows me and turn off automatiaclly.

Anybody can help?

There are some files listed in the SPUNINST.INF file of the unofficial ME SP that should not be on there and prompts for certain files that are non-existent in the precopy.cab file. It's an "uninstall" problem of the ME SP that can be fixed easily by making the proper changes to the SPUNINST.INF file.

It looks like the Unofficial ME Service Pack project is on Stand By until the_guy can make any new comments here.

Hi, txagpilot!

I suggest you try the following:

1) Start from a re-imaged partition.

2) Make back-up copies of gdi.exe and gdi32.dll and store them in a new folder named prevgdi.

3) Install windows me sp1 2.02beta9

4) Make back-up copies of gdi.exe and gdi32.dll and store them in a new folder named nextgdi.

5) Disable file protection

6) Make a snapshot of the registry with regshot 1.8.1

7) Install the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary

8) Make the 2nd snapshot of the registry with regshot 1.8.1 and create the difference file. Now you'll know exactly what has chabged.

9) Test the dictionary. It probably won't work.

10) Uninstall it with a bootable floppy on the FDD, so that it boots to DOS

11) From DOS, copy gdi.exe and gdi32.dll from nextgdi to %windir%/system.

12) Eject the DOS floppy and reboot again. Hopefully it won't give you the error loading gdi.exe.

13) In case it does give the error all the same, repeat 11-12 using the files fro prevgdi.

Wow! Its a lot of work and won't necessarily solve the problem with the dictionary directly, but will provide you with more info to do it and maybe will solve the problem with the Add/Remove removal of the dictionary.

Sorry if I wasn't able to come up with something easier to do or more effective, but I think these steps really may be of help in finding the cause to your main problem. Good luck!

Hey dencorso,

Thanks for the reply. Step #5 you mention disabling SFP on WinMe (not as easy to find as with Win98). I forgot how (it's been awhile since I did it to WinMe on my laptop). If I remember correctly, it was a register value that had to be changed. Could you please give me a refresher heads-up on the registry key to change.

Thanks,

txagpilot

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the reply. Step #5 you mention disabling SFP on WinMe (not as easy to find as with Win98). I forgot how (it's been awhile since I did it to WinMe on my laptop). If I remember correctly, it was a register value that had to be changed. Could you please give me a refresher heads-up on the registry key to change.

Thanks,

txagpilot

To prevent SFP from loading on WinME startup, use the MSCONFIG tool and uncheck the *Statemgr entry, click OK to save changes and restart WinME. That basically shuts down SFP entirely.

Still no response from the_guy. It looks like the ME service pack project is now on hold.

To prevent SFP from loading on WinME startup, use the MSCONFIG tool and uncheck the *Statemgr entry, click OK to save changes and restart WinME. That basically shuts down SFP entirely.

Still no response from the_guy. It looks like the ME service pack project is now on hold.

Hey erpdude8,

Thanks for the reply. I see that the_guy is still active in the forums. I hope he will soon still address what are probably the last of any issues with the unofficial SP, it's coming up on 2 years in progress.

Being an advanced user, I was already aware of the statemgr (and any other 'hampers' in the startup) and System Restore is off. Specifically, I cannot get the 'Cookies' and 'History' 'working' folders moved to another partition, without SFP re-building or still locking them to the OS on C partition. I didn't have any trouble with moving the 'Recent', 'Temp' or 'Temp Internet Files' folders to partition E. Six years ago, with some reg trick info I had run across on the internet/forums (I was too naive to make myself a 'real note' of the reg fix at that time (I keep plenty of detailed notes now lol), I just did the fix to my OEM Compaq WinMe laptop and moved all those folders to partition E and happily hopped along. daaah). I have also tried modifying the reg entries directly that direct to the folders locations, they get reset. The fix was either a DWORD or String Value, either added or changed, possibly a 'no run' or 'no load'. I've been trying to track the fix down for a year+ now, trying to duplicate my laptop setup.

One more question/fix. At startup there is the System BIOS screen, then Windows Me, then a flash with the Windows Me screen again, then the desktop. Again it was another tip/fix I had run across on the internet/forums that stopped the second Windows Me screen from appearing, allowing one to see the 'real' screen that would show messages, such as 'Please wait while Setup updates your Configuration Files, this may take a few minutes. Completed updating files, continuing to load Windows...' screen. Have you any ideas as how to fix/set this screen action so that the second Windows Me startup screen does not show?

Thanks for any help,

txagpilot

Edited by txagpilot

• 1 month later...

the_guy did promise to release a 'release candidate' edition of the WinME SP by the end of last year (2007) but that never happened.

he might be active in these forums but haven't found time to revise his WinME service pack.

a bunch of files needed to be updated in his ME SP including the WinTop files that are currently corrupted and needed to

be replaced with clean ones.

Edited by erpdude8

• 3 weeks later...

the guy i downloaded your update thing just got a few things i gotta say

i installed main updates [all updates and hotfixes]

but didit install adaptec aspi update [4.60.1021]

tweakui 1.33

command pompt here

perfomance tweaks [reqires at least 64mb of ram]

wintop

because i dont know what they are

can you explain them please

i downloaded it from this http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...7&start=400

but this is not the newest one right?

the newest one am gussing its this

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...400#entry633925

but you said it temporary

how do i get the newest one

i installed main updates [all updates and hotfixes]

but didit install adaptec aspi update [4.60.1021]

tweakui 1.33

command pompt here

perfomance tweaks [reqires at least 64mb of ram]

wintop

because i dont know what they are