Service Pack for Windows ME

the_guy

Nevermind, I got 'er back doing a clunky ME reinstall

you should NEVER install any version of RP under WinME. most of the components from the Revo pack don't work under WinME and I keep getting SETUPAPI error messages when attempting to install ANY version of RP under WinME. It looks like RP hates ME's setupapi.dll file.

Tihiy should drop ME support for his Revolutions Pack. or at least prevent the installation of RP under WinME. I had been requesting this several months ago to abandon ME support.

Installing RP isn't what just gave me this problem, or should I say it may have ultimately caused it, I don't know, but RP works great on my ME box and after I got it back up and running and reinstalled it and a few other things it's still awesome. I'm not saying you or others aren't having issues but I'd never uninstall it now after seeing how "sturdy" the skinning is compared to Windowblinds (on ME that is), Windowblinds I do use on my main XP box though and it's extremely fast and functional though. I would add that as well as using Object Desktop on my XP box I still use some (older) Object Desktop apps on my ME box besides WB, for instance icon packager works.

Edited by gtrz

• 1 month later...

Installing RP isn't what just gave me this problem, or should I say it may have ultimately caused it, I don't know, but RP works great on my ME box and after I got it back up and running and reinstalled it and a few other things it's still awesome. I'm not saying you or others aren't having issues but I'd never uninstall it now after seeing how "sturdy" the skinning is compared to Windowblinds (on ME that is), Windowblinds I do use on my main XP box though and it's extremely fast and functional though. I would add that as well as using Object Desktop on my XP box I still use some (older) Object Desktop apps on my ME box besides WB, for instance icon packager works.

well anyways, you should NOT mention anything about RP in this thread in the future, gtrz, as this is already going off topic.

from now on post your concerns/problems about RP right here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=58357

Any hardware especially the Driver I'm trying to install.

sorry, SU182, not going to happen. if that were possible, there would be a bunch of 3rd party drivers that would add more bloat to the SP

the_guy, I've found the reason why SU182 wanted so badly to get his device to run under WinME but was unsuccessful.

See here:

http://help.lockergnome.com/windows2/ENX-2...pict484746.html

reading one of Mike's post--

Thanks, however you don't mention whether these drivers are intended for

use on Win Me. Not knowing anything about this particular TV capture

card, does Sony support its use with Win Me? If not then unless you can

find someone who has written Win Me drivers or can do this yourself you

are going to be out of luck.

well Mike, SU182 IS out of luck. Sony has not made any WinME drivers for the device SU182 was trying to use and only made XP drivers for it. So, SU182 has no other choice but to use WinXP and install the XP drivers for the device.

• 2 weeks later...

I just did a clean install of Windows ME, then I put on the latest compatible versions of Directx, media player and Internet Explorer, then I installed MESP202B8.EXE. The question is how do you get Microsoft update to work, if I try it all I get is a blank screen. Any advice would be appreciated.

• 5 weeks later...

Just refresh the page. That worked for me.

New version on it's way. As well as bug fixes, the following is included:

-Updated rootsupd.exe

-Updated riched20.dll

-Updated hhctrl.ocx

-Fixed npwmsdrm.dll bug

-Fixed ASPI bug

-updated odbc update files to 4.0.6307.0 (KB927779)

-updated usp10.dll to 1.422.3790.3959 (2003 SP2)

-added winfilme

-updated msvcrt.dll to 6.1.9848.0 (KB932590)

-added KB938827 (replaced KB932168)

-added dummy 918547 files to make Windows Update happy (more info coming later)

-added KB329414 (accidentally removed)

-added KB917423

-added KB921503 (version 2.40.4519.0)

-fixed runpost.bat bug

-fixed qfecheck bug

The only things to change until release will be bug fixes (the containing folder will be read-only!).

the_guy

[...]-Removed Q329128 (for MDAC 2.5 SP3)[...]the_guy

Hi, the_guy!

I have two questions for you:

1)Can you please explain to me what Q329128 has to do with MDAC ? :huh:

AFAIK, it's the "Windows 98 and Windows Millennium Edition transmit multicast packets that have a TTL setting of 0 (zero)" hotfix, isn't that so?

2)If you still have it would you please upload it to, say, rapidshare or any equivalent site? I'm looking forward to testing PPPMAC.VXD 4.90.0.3002 in my system, but have been unable to get it so far.

Thanks in advance.

Keep on the great work! :thumbup

also, the_guy, the DST reg entries from intl.inf of unofficial WinME SP beta 8 messed things up under WinME, unexpectedly changing the current Time Zone from US to Casablanca (OH NOOOO!!)

consider replacing it with MDGx's unofficial Q933360.exe fix. Just install Q933360 silently (I have it named DSTUPD.EXE in my unofficial packs) as in the latest releases of my unofficial 98fe SP and my unpublicized unofficial Win95 OSR2 Update Rollup.

1)Can you please explain to me what Q329128 has to do with MDAC ? huh.gif

AFAIK, it's the "Windows 98 and Windows Millennium Edition transmit multicast packets that have a TTL setting of 0 (zero)" hotfix, isn't that so?

2)If you still have it would you please upload it to, say, rapidshare or any equivalent site? I'm looking forward to testing PPPMAC.VXD 4.90.0.3002 in my system, but have been unable to get it so far.

unfortunately, the Q329128 hotfixes for Win98/ME are no longer available AT ALL anymore from MS support, dencorso. MS pulled these fixes from their hotfix server several years ago and won't post them back up. Q329128 is one that is "shortlived", perhaps available for a very brief time and then MS decided to recall it. So you can forget about Q329128 altogether.

same thing with Q296773. tried to request that a few years ago but it's no longer available from MS support. luckily, I found Q296773 inside a Dell OS update pack for certain Dell laptops. Also MS article 296773 has been removed from the MS support site.

Edited by erpdude8

unfortunately, the Q329128 hotfixes for Win98/ME are no longer available AT ALL anymore from MS support, dencorso. MS pulled these fixes from their hotfix server several years ago and won't post them back up. Q329128 is one that is "shortlived", perhaps available for a very brief time and then MS decided to recall it. So you can forget about Q329128 altogether.

I recall that right after Microsoft released the Q329128 hotfiix, they got so many angry W98 ME user problem/system-lockup trouble reports that they quickly recalled it.

I recall that right after Microsoft released the Q329128 hotfiix, they got so many angry W98 ME user problem/system-lockup trouble reports that they quickly recalled it.

Thanks for the info, fastlanephil, I was not aware of that. IMHO the problems people had must have been related to the pppmac.vxd files... I have tested pppmac.vxd 4.10.0.2223, and it prevents my fully updated system from starting, although it works OK in a plain-vanilla Win 98 SE installation. I never found v 4.90.0.3002, so I don't know for a fact it would cause the same problem, but your info leads me to think it may. As it is, I found out that, despite using the Win ME winsock stack in my main Win 98 SE installation, it boots and works OK using either pppmac.vxd 4.90.0.3000 or 4.10.0.2222, but won't finish starting windows with 4.10.0.2223. I say this because the other files from Q329128 for Win 98 SE work flawlessy, in my experience.

Well, erpdude8, since the files for Win 98SE from Q329128 apeared in SESP30-alpha-1, I had a spark of hope that Gape would have, in some way, found the full Q329128, and that the other files, for 98FE and ME would soon be available also. But now I'm begining to realize it's far more probable that he got the 98 SE files from some system that had them already installed... Yet, I'm still resiting to let go of that spark of hope...

And speaking of "shortlived" updates, Q265405 is probably hopeless either, I suppose, from MS at least. Unless someone finds cdvsd.vxd 4.10.0.2225 inside some system somewhere, by sheer luck...

Edited by dencorso

• 3 weeks later...
And speaking of "shortlived" updates, Q265405 is probably hopeless either, I suppose, from MS at least. Unless someone finds cdvsd.vxd 4.10.0.2225 inside some system somewhere, by sheer luck...

Q265405 was pulled after Q274370 was made.

BTW - Beta 9 of the ME service pack is ready (which the_guy should have mentioned) and is posted at MDGx's web site.

and thanks for the info about the recall of Q329128, fastlanephil

• 3 weeks later...

Q329128 was pulled from MS, however, Q301453 for Win98 IS still available. Maybe Q301453 is available for WinME too. I've just received Q301453 for Win98 and it is the same as Q329128.

Edited by erpdude8

• 2 weeks later...