Service Pack for Windows ME

the_guy

@simonw: Those bugs will be fixed for the next version.

Also, a known issue: I forgot to include the newer version of hhctrl.ocx released last month. It will be included in the next beta.

the_guy

the_guy,

there are differences between the "file version" info when viewing the ME service pack's properties. Right click on mesp202en-b8.exe and select Properties and click on the Version tab.

File version of the ME SP beta 8 is 2.0.5.1 (it should be 2.0.2.8). If you view the Version info in Win2000/ME/XP, the File Version is listed as 6.0.3790.0; in Win95/98/NT4 the ME SP File version info will be different.

Before releasing the next beta (looks like beta 9), you should edit the version info of the ME SP package in Resource Hacker (Reshack) and change ALL instances of the file version and product version info so that they match. see my 98fe SP EXE package and look at the Version info in Resource Hacker. From now on after I create the EXE packages for the 98fe SPs, I edit the Version Info in Reshack in TWO places (not one) and save changes to the SPs.

also you may want to change the Copyright year from 2006 to 2007 of your ME SP.

Let's go NO higher than beta 9 of the ME SP. ten betas are too much already, IMHO, and the next release after beta 9 should either be RC1 or PR-1 (PR stands for preview release). be sure to include the newer Root Certificates Update too as MS revised the package again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tested out beta 8 of the ME service pack on my relative's WinME computer. Most of the parts work as expected but the ME SP did NOT execute the stuff from the RUNPOST.BAT file. I found out why.

In the [RunPostCommands.Section] of the SPUPD3-INF file, RUNPOST was listed as RUNPOST.EXE (whoops!). Change this to RUNPOST.BAT.

We also need to make some changes to some of the INF files to make the ME SP work close to flawlessly.

One part I see is in the SPUPDATE.INF file and in the [RPCS] section,

change the following from this:

---

[RPCS]

rundll32 ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection SPUPD-2.INF,DI

---

to this:

---

[RPCS]

rundll32 ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection SPUPD-2.INF,DefaultInstall

---

<the DI section does NOT exist in the SPUPD-2.INF file>

Since I saw these commands in the RUNPOST.BAT file:

---

start /w rundll32 %winbootdir%\system\ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection PRESERVE.INF,DI

start /w rundll32 %winbootdir%\system\ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection WUINFO.INF,DI

start /w rundll32 %winbootdir%\system\ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection SCR56.INF,DI

start /w rundll32 %winbootdir%\system\ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection QFE.INF,DI

start /w rundll32 %winbootdir%\system\ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection INTLFIX.INF,DI

---

let's rename the [DefaultInstall] section of the INTLFIX.INF file to [DI] and the installer will execute the correct section. The PRESERVE.INF, WUINFO.INF, SCR56.INF & QFE.INF files have the [DI] section.

Hopefully ALL these changes should be implemented in the next (AND last beta) of the ME service pack.

I am new here.. tried out beta7 (ugh... got problems) and beta8 (had a few problems) and I have a few questions/concerns..

1. Is it possible to have the Microsoft updates/patches and all split up into the official updates/upgrades and an unofficial update/upgrade? This way people can choose if they want to have the update/upgrades that you guys provide. It would be great to have the official upgrade into 1 executable, so that's good, but I get the feeling that my pc doesn't like the unofficial upgrade/update.. it complains every now and then about my explorer.exe (which crashes for no reason).. and has some more 'strange' issues.

2. Is it possible to have a mouseover help in the installation selection screen? I have no idea for example what Wintop is... it would be useful probably, but why would I install it if I have no clue...? :rolleyes:

Thanks! And keep up the good work! :thumbup

I am new here.. tried out beta7 (ugh... got problems) and beta8 (had a few problems) and I have a few questions/concerns..

1. Is it possible to have the Microsoft updates/patches and all split up into the official updates/upgrades and an unofficial update/upgrade? This way people can choose if they want to have the update/upgrades that you guys provide. It would be great to have the official upgrade into 1 executable, so that's good, but I get the feeling that my pc doesn't like the unofficial upgrade/update.. it complains every now and then about my explorer.exe (which crashes for no reason).. and has some more 'strange' issues.

2. Is it possible to have a mouseover help in the installation selection screen? I have no idea for example what Wintop is... it would be useful probably, but why would I install it if I have no clue...? :rolleyes:

Thanks! And keep up the good work! :thumbup

Please, just what problems have you in beta 8?

List me problems.

I've intention to update localization of SP in my language.

Edited by Max_04

Please, just what problems have you in beta 8?

List me problems.

I've intention to update localization of SP in my language.

The problems I have... are problems I already had in version 7, but are still in 8:

1. When shutting down windows, I get an error in explorer.exe. Not all the time, but it's quite often.

2. When I get errors like that, I sometimes get a window asking me if I would like to report the error to microsoft. I've only seen screens like that in windows XP, never on a ME machine, so it has to do with 'upgraded' files that are not in the official upgrade.

3. The problem usually comes up with explorer.exe, but sometimes also kernel files. Just.. strange files that I know are just updated files.

It's ok to update, but it's not foolproof, since my machine has a problem with it. I did a clean installation of ME before I tried that beta7 installation. Then it was messed up. I installed IE6 after that, to get at least a 'normal' IE installation....

Is that something that canbe included in those upgrades? (a full IE6 installation)

Oh.. and my cdromdrive doesn't work anymore either... :angry:

It sees the disk.. reads the title, but can't access it anymore. It asks me if I want to format it.

(I don't really like to do that with a backup cd... :blushing: )

Oh.. and my cdromdrive doesn't work anymore either... :angry:

It sees the disk.. reads the title, but can't access it anymore. It asks me if I want to format it.

(I don't really like to do that with a backup cd... :blushing: )

I take that back.. the cd-rw was corrupt... rewriting it didn't work either. :blushing:

writing a regular cd-r went fine and was readable afterwards as well.

• 5 weeks later...

I have installed WinME on a brand new drive today on my previously (read as: elsewhere) mentioned Win98SE tower....

I am sorry to report that after 4 reinstall attempts (fdisk, format, install..) I have to report the same exact issues that someone else had posted....

I get NUMEROUS explorer errors, occasionally with the error reporting window and a "link" to a fix...

I also get numerous MSHTML.DLL errors... I thought this package was to specifically FIX these types of errors....

So, is it safe to assume that this includes quite a few NON-STANDARD fixes, or what?

I was hoping to find something that was reliable... This is my *first* ME system, and I am totally shocked by how horrible it truly is "out-of-the-box" compared to 98SE... Speaking of which, WHERE ARE ALL THE UPDATES FOR ME?? This package seems AWFULLY SMALL to be a round up of updates large enough to be called a service pack...

I apologize if I am rude- it was not intended... I am a n00b at ME...

Try to also upgrade your Internet Explorer to 5.5SP2 or 6SP1 and see if it makes a difference.

Report back if you still have those problems after doing that but please describe them much more precisely.

Alrighty, I have since done a totally clean install of ME... and I used Windows Update to install all of the TWENTY FOUR (24!!?) updates, including IE6+SP1 and more IE6 patches...

Then, I ran the ME Service Pack....

At first, I had the same issues I posted earlier... the MSHTML.DLL error in particular....

But, that was last night... I fired the tower up this morning only to witness some files being copied and tweakui settings and whatnot (this was the SECOND TIME this install that the tweakui window happened)...

I sat and waited... and waited... and waited... started to be convinced the darn thing locked up, and right when I went for the CTRL ALT DEL, it snapped outta it and booted up.

I haven't had any issues since then, other than video files randomly going all grey with only audio.... and I ain't got a clue what is causing that... I installed the K-Lite Codec pack, and it seems that MP9 is conflicting somehow with it... anyone know if there is a particular install order for this?

Fingers still crossed- but it looks like you need to install IE6+SP1 before this service pack.... if this is true, could you just add IE6+SP1 to it? or make 2 downloads, one with and one without?

I was about ready to throw away my ME cd until I tried WindowsUpdate.Microsoft.com first... (and the default link to it claims I am on a MAC?!)

Thanks for your help folks.

Alrighty, I have since done a totally clean install of ME... and I used Windows Update to install all of the TWENTY FOUR (24!!?) updates, including IE6+SP1 and more IE6 patches...

Then, I ran the ME Service Pack....

At first, I had the same issues I posted earlier... the MSHTML.DLL error in particular....

But, that was last night... I fired the tower up this morning only to witness some files being copied and tweakui settings and whatnot (this was the SECOND TIME this install that the tweakui window happened)...

I sat and waited... and waited... and waited... started to be convinced the darn thing locked up, and right when I went for the CTRL ALT DEL, it snapped outta it and booted up.

I haven't had any issues since then,

So you have errors just after applying the service pack but not anymore after it has fully completed, including rebooting. Seems to be working good besides being a bit glitchy on the first reboot.

other than video files randomly going all grey with only audio.... and I ain't got a clue what is causing that... I installed the K-Lite Codec pack, and it seems that MP9 is conflicting somehow with it... anyone know if there is a particular install order for this?

Which types of video files are causing problems ? All of them ?

I have quickly looked at K-Lite contents and I am not sure all it's components are fullly compatible with the 9x platform. Notably the DivX and FFDshow builds it contains.

Maybe you should open a new thread about those video problems as I don't think this is related to the service pack which does not update the Media Player or any codecs I think.

Edited by eidenk

I tried to upgrade the WMP once.. taht went wrong.. not gonna do that again... :realmad:

As for upgrades/patches..you might also wanna take a look at http://www.windizupdate.com/ thru firefox....

WinME is pretty good.. what I would do if i were you is to install winme, then install IE6 and THEN do the updates/fixes.. thru MS, after which you should make an image of your harddrive or so... (copy the drive), so that you can "restore" the stuff.

The SP is a beta still.. don't forget that. It's not "safe", it still has bugs... and you still might not be able to install software or deinstall, because kernels are updated (read: messed up now)....

• 3 weeks later...
I tried to upgrade the WMP once.. taht went wrong.. not gonna do that again... :realmad:

As for upgrades/patches..you might also wanna take a look at http://www.windizupdate.com/ thru firefox....

I said this before about WindizUpdate elsewhere. It sucked! :angry: It got bad reviews here:

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/060629/

I've found most of the problems with beta 8 of the ME service pack and they lie in the INF files. I can fix those easily and send the_guy the revised INF files when I have the time.

TZ.EXE included in the SP didnt work because it was never executed. The INF files try to execute sections that dont exist so I have to rename them. Better include the newest Q931836.exe patch MDGx released for updating time zone registry info instead of using TZ.EXE.

Edited by erpdude8