Service Pack for Windows ME

the_guy

Jscript.dll 5.6.0.8833 is not meant for 9x OSes, works [and regsvr32-s] properly only with 2000/XP/2003.

The last official jscript.dll that works properly with 98/98SE/ME is 5.6.0.8831 :

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms06-023.mspx

JScript 5.6 Patch for Windows 98/98 SE/ME [329 KB]:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...d10b72452f7.Exe

HTH

JSCRIPT.DLL 5.7.0.5730 from IE 7.0 has no unresolved dependencies. It also registers under SE. Same with VBSCRIPT.DLL 5.7.0.5730. I rarely use IE, so I couldn't swear that they're absolutely safe, but they seem to be working so far.

believe it or not MDGx, tErmY is right. I did use REGSVR32 to register v5.7.0.5730 the jscript.dll and vbscript.dll files and they do register properly under Win98/ME.

NO DONT use the ones from Vista, the_guy. they maybe for Vista only! use the ones either from IE7 for XP or IE7 for Server 2003. also note, the_guy, that the latest release of the 98fe SP I made is no longer a beta but a preview release (half beta - half RC). It looks like I may post up a final release of the 98fe SP sometime in January 2007.

believe it or not MDGx, tErmY is right. I did use REGSVR32 to register v5.7.0.5730 the jscript.dll and vbscript.dll files and they do register properly under Win98/ME.

So these files should be drop in the KB917344 folder and be repackage right?

yes, Hu$tle.

HOWEVER, I have tested version 5.6.0.8833 of JSCRIPT.DLL and VBSCRIPT.DLL files and they do NOT register under Win98/ME. MDGx is RIGHT about THAT. If these files were from a beta version of Windows Vista then they should NOT be included in future betas of the ME service pack and in unofficial U917344 fix.

Version 5.7.0.5730, on the other hand, of the JSCRIPT.DLL and VBSCRIPT.DLL files DO register fine under Win98/ME AS LONG AS the files were obtained from the IE7 for WinXP package.

yes, Hu$tle.

HOWEVER, I have tested version 5.6.0.8833 of JSCRIPT.DLL and VBSCRIPT.DLL files and they do NOT register under Win98/ME. MDGx is RIGHT about THAT. If these files were from a beta version of Windows Vista then they should NOT be included in future betas of the ME service pack and in unofficial U917344 fix.

Version 5.7.0.5730, on the other hand, of the JSCRIPT.DLL and VBSCRIPT.DLL files DO register fine under Win98/ME AS LONG AS the files were obtained from the IE7 for WinXP package.

I've also been running JSPROXY.DLL 7.0.5730.11 from IE 7. It has a lot more unresolved dependencies than JSPROXY.DLL 6.0.2800.1578 from Axcel's unofficial update, but it hasn't caused me any problems. Someone who actually uses IE will have to test it further.

These are the only three files I've found so far that don't cripple IE 6 in some fashion, but I'm only about a third of the way through them all. I suspect that several of the IE 7 files will work under 9X. They just won't work with IE 6.

• 4 weeks later...

the_guy: can you include the daylight saving time Q928388 registry fixes and the revised RUNHELP.CAB file into the next release of the ME SP?

MDGx created an unofficial RUNHELP.CAB fix for Win98fe/98se/ME to remove the prompt when double-clicking on the HTMLHELP.HTM file from the Windows folder

• 3 weeks later...

Unofficial Q929120.EXE and Q928388.EXE are identical.

So are KB929210.EXE and KB928388.EXE .

Italian IT928388.EXE also contains all DST updates [for 9x OSes = Italian language, of course].

None of them reboot at the end of install anymore = not necessary.

See all DST updates here:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#TZU

BTW:

I've updated RUNHELP.EXE = added some more JavaScript code to "please" all browsers and to speed up HTML Help loading time in IE 5/6.

Updated RUNHELP here:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#UPL

HTH

Hey all,

I have decided to make a service pack for ME. It will be like any unofficial update at MDGx's site, meaning you have to disable sr/sfp. I have a couple of questions:

1. Would anyone be able to have a look at it to test it out?

2. How would I make a silent installer for au like Gape made for the roots update?

This pack is already made, awaiting uploading at rapidshare (to be hopefully uploaded at softpedia and/or majorgeeks). It includes the updates MDGx posted this morning as well.

Comments are appreciated/wanted

Changelog for latest version:

-rolled back msvcp60.dll to version 6.2.3104.0

-removed auupd.exe

-fixed npdsplay.dll copy issues

-Updated usp10.dll to 1.0422.3790.2706 (919136) Replaces 2003 SP1 version

-Updated msvcrt.dll to version 6.1.9847.0 (838751) Replaces 2000 SP4 version

-Updated scrrun.dll to version 5.6.0.8830 (906092) Replaces Script 5.6 version

-Updated vbscript.dll to version 5.6.0.8829 (903648) Replaces Script 5.6 version

-Updated triedit.dll to version 6.1.0.9240 (2003 sp1) Rplaces XP SP2 version

-Updated dhtmled.ocx to version 6.1.0.9242 (906216) Replaces XP SP2 version

-Updated hhctrlui.dll to version 5.2.3664.0 (ie6 sp1) Replaces 811630 version

-Added webvw.dll from 900725 (reshacked to version 5.50.4134.7061)

-Added asfsipc.dll and npwmsdrm.dll from wmfdist7

-Added dxmasf.dll, mplayer2.exe, msdxmlc.dll, and strmdll.dll from media player 6.4 (included in ie6 sp1)

-Added 832353 (msdxm.ocx)

-Updated jscript.dll to version 5.6.0.8832 (919237) Replaces 917344

-Added 920670 (hlink.dll) Replaces 888113

-Added 922616 (hhctrl.ocx + reg entries) Replaces 896358 version

-Added 830460 (msvcirt.dll)

Download links are here (English), here (French-b5v2) - Thanks WebMatze and here (Italian) - Thanks Max_04.

the_guy

UPDATE 23/07/2006: Might as well put a link into the first post, that way people aren't digging for it. Also added link to french version (thanks WebMatze)

UPDATE 15/08/2006: Added download link for b6 in English.

Any chance of a re-upload, those links appear to be dead, it would be much appreciated.

I have an older computer that has a piece of hardware that has drivers for the VxD model, thus requiring a 9x install - I install Windows ME on this machine (i know boo hiss I feel the hate - I personally think Me has a few advantages over 98 such as the Windows 2000 TCP/IP stack, ect and as buggy as ti can be I think it can be worthwhile on certain machines) - Anyway, I installed the Windows ME 2.02 Unofficial Service Pack (beta 7) and of course broke the DLLs mentioned earlier in this thread, from what I gather is an incorrect version of a hotfix - leaving Windows Update and certain other IE functionality broken. I'm curious as to what files I need to replace with what versions to fix this.

It's a great update pack - just need to take that hotfix out, hehe ;). Keep up the good work though, it's much appreciated!

Chris.

It's a great update pack - just need to take that hotfix out, hehe ;). Keep up the good work though, it's much appreciated!

Chris.

dont worry Chris. many of the problems in beta 7 of the ME SP will be fixed soon.

what kind of computer are you using? WinME works best with at least a 500Mhz Pentium 3 with 128Mb or 256Mb of RAM.

Quick update guys: Finals for me are coming up for this semester at school. I don't think I'll be able to release anything before the first weekend in February. I will still be here from time to time though. If something is released before then, it will be in the next week.

the_guy

Chris.

dont worry Chris. many of the problems in beta 7 of the ME SP will be fixed soon.

what kind of computer are you using? WinME works best with at least a 500Mhz Pentium 3 with 128Mb or 256Mb of RAM.

It's a Pentium II 266 w/ 160MB of RAM. Slow, but it gets the job done for what I need.

Glad to hear the problems are being worked out - is there no way to fix the broken DLLs in the meantime or would that be more trouble then it's worth?

Thanks!

Chris.