Service Pack for Windows ME

the_guy

Beta 5 now available.

Notable changes:

*Removed unneeded runtimes

*Removed Flash and Shockwave Players

*Removed riched.dll and riched32.dll

*Updated extrac32.exe

*Fixed Timestamps (iexpress.exe/wextract.exe updated to 2003 version, makecab.exe downgraded to ieak6 version)

*Other fixes

Link is here until MDGx uploads to his server.

Also, I think this might be the last version before I make an RC, unless there are any major bugs.

the_guy

I think you may have released it too soon. I found some minor problems with installation. Make a few changes to the SPUPDATE.INF & SPUPD-2.INF files. In the SPUPDATE.INF file make a change in the "RunPostCommands.Section"

---

[RunPostCommands.Section]

rundll32 ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection SPUPD-3.INF,DefaultInstall

---

change it to SPUPD-2.INF.

And inside the SPUPD-2.INF file change the part that reads "rundll32 ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection SPUPD-4.INF,DefaultInstall" and make it point to the SPUPD-3.INF file.

Also make some changes to SPUNINST.INF file, change the uninstall info to beta 5 as it still mentions beta 3.

hope to see a beta5 V2 of the ME SP soon. You may also want to add Q832414 msxml.dll (XML 2.5) hotfix in beta 6 as WinME has older msxml.dll file.

@erpdude8: I think it would be a good idea, but it just wouldn't be put into the SP as I feel it would be too big and bulky. Also, that new version of mfc42.dll will be included in the next version.

the_guy

Note to Tareek: there you have it. Improved UNICODE support for WinME will NOT be added onto the ME service pack as it will make it bloated and way too large to download. Unless you can find unicode files that are very small, it just will not be made part of the service pack for windows me.

Edited by erpdude8

I have fixed those 2 errors erpdude8, and replaced mfc42.dll with the newer 2003sp1 version, as well as tidying up the main INF a little bit. It will be uploaded ASAP.

the_guy

EDIT: See below

Edited by the_guy

I have fixed those 2 errors erpdude8, and replaced mfc42.dll with the newer 2003sp1 version, as well as tidying up the main INF a little bit. It will be uploaded ASAP.

the_guy

EDIT: File is uploaded here until MDGx uploads it to his site.

did you also fix the errors in the spuninst.inf file?

Thanks, got it. ;)

Just to make sure... file size should be 19691520 bytes.

Just checking, because there is a huge difference between this new [18.7 MB] and last release [27.5 MB].

I guess this is because you removed Flash + Shockwave. [?]

Posted here:

* Unofficial Windows ME Service Pack 1 (SP1) v2.02 Beta 5:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=61407

ME SP1 [18.7 MB, English, free]:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/MESP202B5V2.EXE

Linked here [under "Windows 98/98 SE/ME Updates + Patches"]:

http://www.mdgx.com/

and here:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#MEU

the_guy

EDIT: See below

AHHH, NUTS! Version 6.6.8063.0 of MFC42.DLL file from Win2003 SP1 CHOKES when trying to run the Dcomcnfg.exe file in WinME giving a "link to missing export" error message. Revert back to version 6.2.4131 of MFC42.DLL file and Dcomcnfg.exe will work correctly.

Let's see if version 6.6.8063 of MFC42.DLL file can work under eidenk's machine.

BTW - you can now add Q276602 pci.vxd 4.90.3004 fix into the pack. relatively safe even for laptop PCs. The problem mentioned in MS article 810447 is more of a power management issue with multiple pc card flash storage devices when Q276602 is installed but no longer seems to be a big deal. best to use usb flash storage devices in place of the pc card variety.

Note to MDGx: what do you think of Tareek's comments of adding better UNICODE support into Win9xME? see them here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...1407&st=225

Edited by erpdude8

Done!

Note to all: I haven't gone through the uninstall section in a while, so to me, uninstallation is compltely UNsupported.

Sorry, but I just don't have the time. If anyone else does, send me a PM as I have done some slight changes to it already.

the_guy

AHHH, NUTS! Version 6.6.8063.0 of MFC42.DLL file from Win2003 SP1 CHOKES when trying to run the Dcomcnfg.exe file in WinME giving a "link to missing export" error message. Revert back to version 6.2.4131 of MFC42.DLL file and Dcomcnfg.exe will work correctly.

Let's see if version 6.6.8063 of MFC42.DLL file can work under eidenk's machine.

I do not have it and I am probably not going to try it because you got that error with it.

The Unicode stuff sound interesting but I haven't got the time to look into it ATM.

Maybe in a couple of weeks if I am more relaxed.

I haven't even looked whether they are addons or patches.

I've seen Tarek's Unicode links.

Thanks.

Looks like most of those tutorials + tools are for developers/programmers who wish to make their apps Unicode compatible under 9x OSes.

Done!

Note to all: I haven't gone through the uninstall section in a while, so to me, uninstallation is compltely UNsupported.

Sorry, but I just don't have the time. If anyone else does, send me a PM as I have done some slight changes to it already.

the_guy

I do have time, sort of, to fix just about any uninstall problem for any unofficial SP including the 98fe SP that I am working on.

I've seen Tarek's Unicode links.

Thanks.

Looks like most of those tutorials + tools are for developers/programmers who wish to make their apps Unicode compatible under 9x OSes.

Now we just need a response from Tareek. See if you guys can send him an email or PM.