Service Pack for Windows ME

the_guy

erpdude8,

It'll be nice if they leave WindowsUpdate functional, but I seem to recall reading on Microsoft's End of Life site that only the downloads area will remain active and that automatic updates will no longer be available. Meaning they will make the updates available but no more Windows Update. Just the Microsoft download pages.

I can't say for sure that'll happen, but that's what I gathered from reading their site.

Since they won't be offering anything new, it wouldn't be a huge loss anyway. This last time I built up my 98SE there were only language files there for me. We don't need no bloody WindowsUpdate! (Well, except for XP. It installs about 45 critical thingy's for me when I go there fresh from an SP2 cd and just installing drivers, WorksSuite, and Windows Media Player 10.)

Any word on a release candidate yet???

NO FOOTHILLS! just wait for one. the_guy will let us know whenever he is ready. dont ask any more future questions about an RC release. it will come BUT we ALL have to wait patiently.

and besides, foothils, you have already asked about a release candidate of the ME service pack THREE times already which is almost annoying to some of us here. so DONT ask about it until the_guy actually posts one up. perhaps you should send a PM [personal message] or email to the_guy and ask him yourself about it.

erpdude8,

It'll be nice if they leave WindowsUpdate functional, but I seem to recall reading on Microsoft's End of Life site that only the downloads area will remain active and that automatic updates will no longer be available. Meaning they will make the updates available but no more Windows Update. Just the Microsoft download pages.

I can't say for sure that'll happen, but that's what I gathered from reading their site.

Since they won't be offering anything new, it wouldn't be a huge loss anyway. This last time I built up my 98SE there were only language files there for me. We don't need no bloody WindowsUpdate! (Well, except for XP. It installs about 45 critical thingy's for me when I go there fresh from an SP2 cd and just installing drivers, WorksSuite, and Windows Media Player 10.)

I dont use the automatic updates feature on both my WinME and my bro's WinXP machines. dont want to use AU to install all critical updates, especially the WGA KB905474 update for XP. I have AU disabled since I prefer choosing which critical updates to install instead of AU installing all critical updates for me without my approval.

Me too. Auto-updates off. Though I do check often. For my non-computer interested friends who's machine's I set up, I turn on Auto-updating. Except for one guy who has a machine with an on board Ge-force 2 MX400 that Windows always wants to install a "critical" driver for. I just badger him to go to Windows Update periodically and to always say no to unhide that critical update.

automatic updates make sense when using broadband connection like DSL, cable or T1 or higher LAN connection. AU seems lame to use with dialup.

another reminder to foothills that there is NO release candidate for the ME service pack yet as he has asked about this three times already and asking about it again would be bothersome (kinda like the kid repeatedly asking the question "are we there yet?")

Edited by erpdude8

• 2 weeks later...
So... Any Updates Now?

Nope. have you tested beta 3 of the unofficial Windows ME service pack, Hussain? we have yet to hear from the_guy as to when he'll post up an RC edition of the ME Service Pack. you can try contacting him by email or by sending him a PM and ask him if a release candidate will be available.

Edited by erpdude8

Everybody is looking for release candidate - but I have not seen any bug reports, so why not to use the latest beta?

Petr

yeah I agree with Petr on this one on using the latest beta which is currently beta 3.

I have contacted the_guy recently and he told me there will be a beta 4 (NOT a release candidate) coming soon.

• 2 weeks later...

sounds like a very promising service pack, when it comes out, im for sure testing it. keep up the great work, its guys like you that keep people in business. :thumbup (by helping people with older stuff) let us know of any new stuff when you get a chance. thanks again

-brian

One simple question - and I apologyze if it has been answered before, but the search on this site is not one of the best, and Google doesn't really help: would the ME Service Pack interfere or in any way damage a 98SE + 98SE2ME + Revolutions Pack 4 installation?

I know RP4 has been discontinued, but I've had it installed on my system for about a year already and I wouldn't want to screw up my system by trying to uninstall it.

Thank you in advance.

One simple question - and I apologyze if it has been answered before, but the search on this site is not one of the best, and Google doesn't really help: would the ME Service Pack interfere or in any way damage a 98SE + 98SE2ME + Revolutions Pack 4 installation?
WinME SP canNOT interfere with/damage/etc 98SE SP, 98SE2ME or RP, because these 3 are designed to install only on Win98SE, not on WinME.

But [as you may have noticed] WinME SP installs only on WinME. ;)

HTH

P.S.:

Mult noroc :D

Edited by MDGx

Well, I must admit it's getting pretty confusing having that many service packs, upgrades and whatnot installed. However, looking in Control Panel > System, I surprinsingly found that after all the upgrades, my system is now recognized as Windows ME 4.90.3001 A, instead of Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222.

So - as long as I installed 98SE2ME with full option (including #3) - I thought that a ME Service Pack would (or could) upgrade some of the ME files that I already have. Wouldn't that be possible?

I mean - I'd like to push this as far as possible, once I stepped to the ring. B)

What would be your advice regarding this?

Mulţumesc de urare. La fel şi vouă celor care menţineţi aceste proiecte: MDGx, Tihiy, Gape, jimmsta, etc. :hello:

Edited by Drugwash

Well, I must admit it's getting pretty confusing having that many service packs, upgrades and whatnot installed. However, looking in Control Panel > System, I surprinsingly found that after all the upgrades, my system is now recognized as Windows ME 4.90.3001 A, instead of Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222.

I believe 98se is identified as WinME v4.90.3001 A because of some WinME files installed from the 98SE2ME pack (such as kernel32.dll and sysdm.cpl).

Beta 3 now available.

The link is on mytempdir, file id 567134

Changes in beta 3:

-fixed inf files

Please try and see if it works.

the_guy

Beta 3 of ME SP has been removed due to "expired hosting period". Looks like nobody downloaded it for a while and they decided to pull it off the site.

Is beta 4 almost ready, the_guy?