Service Pack for Windows ME

the_guy

just wondering, is the FP4AWEC.DLL file included in the ME service pack? The Q282132 security patch for WinME has 4.0.2.4715 of that file and is installed in the 'Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\40\bin' folder. Fp4awec.dll file is also included in the Web Folders KB892211 update.

Those who have MS Frontpage 2000 installed can install the FP2000 version of the Q282132 patch instead of the Windows ME version or they can install the KB892211 update. I've found a FP2k hotfix mentioning a newer version of the Fp4awec.dll file which has version 4.0.2.9010. I will request this Frontpage 2000 hotfix from MS that has the newer build of the fp4awec.dll file.

follow up on this: I recently have obtained the FP2K KB843616 hotfix that updates the FP4AWEC.DLL file to version 4.0.2.9010. Let me know if you want to include it into the ME service pack.

I have tried the main update in a virtual machine.

I got two errors : Can't find CDFS.VXD and can't find HH.EXE. I just had to click on OK both times and it carried on.

Then for quite a long time a DOS windows remains on screen with file not found written in it but the install process carried on.

And I have been able to reboot. It's getting good.

Edited by eidenk

I'll test it out today... I'm doing an OS drop on a buggy system, to try and figure out if the hardware is ok (ACPI problems and Soundcard issues - system came in with German Windows Me). Hope this works... if not, I'll just ghost my bare Me Image back on and try again.

Edited by jimmsta

I'll test it out today... I'm doing an OS drop on a buggy system, to try and figure out if the hardware is ok (ACPI problems and Soundcard issues - system came in with German Windows Me). Hope this works... if not, I'll just ghost my bare Me Image back on and try again.

unofficial ME service pack is currently for English edition of ME, not for German edition. do not use if you dont have the english version of ME.

I got two errors : Can't find CDFS.VXD and can't find HH.EXE. I just had to click on OK both times and it carried on.

Then for quite a long time a DOS windows remains on screen with file not found written in it but the install process carried on.

I had that installation bug since beta 2 and I've figured out why it's been prompting those two CDFS.VXD and HH.EXE files. A buggy version of INFEX.EXE included in the ME Service Pack didnt quite run the "right" command.

I viewed version 0.2.0.0 of INFEX.EXE in Wordpad from the 98 SE service pack and it was supposed to run

"rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection, DefaultInstall" or something like that. The version of INFEX.EXE file included in ME service pack is version 0.3.0.0 and when I viewed this version in Wordpad, it does NOT mention DefaultInstall and I saw the line that says "Rundll32.exe Advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx" The LaunchINFSectionEx command is INCORRECT. It should be LaunchINFSection [NOT LaunchINFSectionEx] with DefaultInstall. So this means that 0.2.0.0 of INFEX.EXE installs files correctly while 0.3.0.0 does not.

So it looks like the INFEX.EXE file from the ME service pack needs to be revised OR we can just include 0.2.0.0 of INFEX.EXE file (from the 98SE service pack) which does install files correctly.

I'll give the_guy the newer build of the fp4awec.dll file [4.0.2.9010] after Easter. I'll be busy next week.

unofficial ME service pack is currently for English edition of ME, not for German edition. do not use if you dont have the english version of ME.

Sorry, I should have been a bit more... descriptive. I was doing something that we call a drop - a ghost image with English Windows Me. It worked fine with the service pack - in a VMWare machine ;) ... The customer's machine that I mentioned... well, it didn't get the service pack, because I figured it wasn't compatible at all... except I think I did something a bit more :wacko:

I did an install on top of the old version of Me, which was German, with an English version. The system wouldn't fully install... So, I ended up taking the backed up registry from before I tried installing it on top, and dropped that into place. I also grabbed a copy of the German Explorer.exe file, and the system worked fine....albeit, very strange -- a system with both English and German text labels, working perfectly with applications and such. I won that battle. ;)

I had that installation bug since beta 2 and I've figured out why it's been prompting those two CDFS.VXD and HH.EXE files. A buggy version of INFEX.EXE included in the ME Service Pack didnt quite run the "right" command.

I viewed version 0.2.0.0 of INFEX.EXE in Wordpad from the 98 SE service pack and it was supposed to run

"rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection, DefaultInstall" or something like that. The version of INFEX.EXE file included in ME service pack is version 0.3.0.0 and when I viewed this version in Wordpad, it does NOT mention DefaultInstall and I saw the line that says "Rundll32.exe Advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx" The LaunchINFSectionEx command is INCORRECT. It should be LaunchINFSection [NOT LaunchINFSectionEx] with DefaultInstall. So this means that 0.2.0.0 of INFEX.EXE installs files correctly while 0.3.0.0 does not.

So it looks like the INFEX.EXE file from the ME service pack needs to be revised OR we can just include 0.2.0.0 of INFEX.EXE file (from the 98SE service pack) which does install files correctly.

I'll give the_guy the newer build of the fp4awec.dll file [4.0.2.9010] after Easter. I'll be busy next week.

tried replacing INFEX.EXE file with earlier version. no change. ME service pack still prompted for HH.EXE and CDFS.VXD files. perhaps these two files need to be included in BOTH SP2.CAB and SUPP.CAB files. might also want to move the [COPY.Install] section from the SPUPDATE.INF file and put it into the SPUPD-2.INF file. I did that. Solving the problem of the ME pack prompting for some files is harder than I thought.

let's try looking at the SPUPDATE.INF file of the 98se service pack to see how files are installed. maybe we can get a clue of how the files are installed without prompting for any files.

The "File Not Found" message is caused by the "del %winbootdir%\wininit.log" command in the RUNPOST.BAT file. That command should be removed as it is unnecessary and the wininit.log file will be deleted upon restart. Then the Runpost.bat file will run normally as before.

Edited by erpdude8

Hello MDGx,

do you remember what applications have problems with riched20.dll 5.40 (from Office XP) or 5.50 (from Office 2003)?

Petr

Newest RICHED20.DLL that works with 9x/ME I'm aware of is 5.31.23.1224 from Win2003 SP1:

http://www.mdgx.com/ws3toy.htm#SP1

Available as unofficial RTF (RichEdit) fix for 95/98/ME:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#RTF

File:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/RICHED9X.EXE

RICHED9X.EXE installs newest versions of:

RICHED.DLL

RICHED20.DLL

RICHED32.DLL

USP10.DLL

RICHTX32.OCX

Any chance of a new release with cdfs.vxd and hh.exe fixed?? It appears that this project is getting close to completion :)

foothills,

there is NO need for newer versions of the cdfs.vxd and hh.exe files. those files are NOT the ones that actually cause the problem. I've found a way to fix the problem with the installer prompting those two files.

I've decided to remove the [Copy.Install] and [Copy.Options] sections from the SPUPDATE.INF file and put them in separate INF files. I put [Copy.Install] in SPUPD-3.INF and [Copy.Options] in SPUPD-4.INF. THAT seem get rid of the problem because the setupx.dll & advpack.dll installers keep switching back and forth between copying some files to the \WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\ and \WINDOWS\OPTIONS\INSTALL\ folders and may cause confusion. they do not copy all files first to \windows\options\cabs\ folder and then copy all files to \windows\options\install\ folder. guess there were too many files for the installers to remember since the [Copy.Install] and [Copy.Options] sections mention so many files.

I've sent the new INF files and the revised spupdate.inf and spuninst.inf files to the_guy a few days ago.

maybe the next release should be a release candidate instead of beta 4.

btw - Happy easter to all!

Edited by erpdude8

Hello MDGx,

do you remember what applications have problems with riched20.dll 5.40 (from Office XP) or 5.50 (from Office 2003)?

Petr

Newest RICHED20.DLL that works with 9x/ME I'm aware of is 5.31.23.1224 from Win2003 SP1:

http://www.mdgx.com/ws3toy.htm#SP1

Available as unofficial RTF (RichEdit) fix for 95/98/ME:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#RTF

File:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/RICHED9X.EXE

RICHED9X.EXE installs newest versions of:

RICHED.DLL

RICHED20.DLL

RICHED32.DLL

USP10.DLL

RICHTX32.OCX

Sorry, I have no experience using riched20.dll 5.40 or 5.50 . I don't have Office XP/2003 CDs.

IMO:

But since those newer versions were released with MS Office packages, they probably have extra code for Office applications.

Win2003 SP1 [which installs riched20.dll 5.31] was released March 30 2005.

MS Office 2003 was released [probably] a few months before that.

Hope this helps.

Riched32.dll

Version 5.0.2134.1 : Size = 3,856 bytes. Wrapper Dll for Richedit. Dependencies are Riched20.dll and User32.dll.

Is there a reason not to use the later versions ? It seems to me when looking at the sizes and dependencies that what Riched32 was doing could now be handled by Riched20 so that if there is a newer Riched20, there should also be a newer Riched32. Or am I wrong ?

Maybe the reason is that none of these files is available in any Service Pack or update. This file only can be bought with Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 or Windows XP or Windows Server 2003.

Petr

Incidentally, about RICHED32.DLL: the version included in the unofficial RICHED9X.EXE for 9x is 5.0.1461.82. The version that eidenk and Petr were talking about above is 5.0.2134.1, which was (at least) included with Windows 2000.

However, there's another RICHED32.DLL included in MDGx's RICHEDNT.EXE (the same build number as the Win2k file, but with a later date: in Win2k it's 1999, while in RICHEDNT.EXE it's 2001). So, the fact that RICHED32.DLL build 5.0.2134.1 is included in RICHEDNT.EXE means that it is distributable, and can be used instead of the older 5.0.2134.1 in RICHED9x... right?

I've tested it (98 SE) with no problems so far. :)

Edited by bristols