Service Pack for Windows ME

the_guy

This way I have successfully installed OLEUP.EXE on a WinME computer with SR/SFP/WFP running [stmgr, statemgr, rstrui, rstrlfn + vxdmon.vxd].

Erpdude8 also tried OLEUP.EXE on his WinME computer, and it worked ok.

Hope this helps.

Yup. the revised OLEUP.EXE worked under WinME and SFP did not restore the older files. You might also want to rework the HHUPD.EXE [unofficial HTML Help 5.20.3790.2453] patch and include the stuff from OLEUP's INF file so that HHUPD.EXE will work properly under ME and SFP will not have the chance to restore older HH files.

NEW VERSION:

ME SP 2.0.2 BETA 2.

Changelog:

-Updated 891711

-Added 892211

-Updated qfecheck registry entries.

-Added 911564

-And a few other changes.

If you have problems with this version, please tell me the errors.

Please also tell me any qfecheck errors (if any slipped through the cracks)

It is at mytempdir, id LINK REMOVED. SEE THIS POST.

the_guy

Edited by the_guy

Awesome! I just re-started work on the Win98 PowerPack, and will be expanding it to include WinMe patches as well.

I'm off to test this out on a VMWare install of Me... if I can find my installation CD, that is... ;)

Great job! :thumbup

Neat! From now on, the_guy, future betas and RCs of the ME service pack should be posted at Mytempdir.com site as it does allow resuming downloads unlike RapidUpload. I'll try out ME SP beta 2 this weekend.

All right I've tested beta 2 of ME service pack on my next-door neighbor's WinME computer and there were problems.

First, attempting to install the main updates will crash with a RunDll32 error message.

Logged in the Faultlog.txt file:

Date 03/04/2006 Time 14:54

RUNDLL32 caused a general protection fault

in module SETUPX.DLL at 0004:00005592.

Registers:

EAX=00000001 CS=2bcf EIP=00005592 EFLGS=00000206

EBX=0000e400 SS=1f6f ESP=000077be EBP=000077be

ECX=00000000 DS=2cd7 ESI=00000000 FS=0000

EDX=00000000 ES=2d27 EDI=0000e400 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

26 8a 07 98 2b d2 52 50 9a d3 02 d7 08 98 c9 c2

Stack dump:

6a8377cc 2d27e400 d004d05a 78300db5 e4005e56 00002d27 2cd72b77 d004e400 559f0000 00442bcf 77f60000 00006a83 d05e2627 096008d7 00000db5 08050000

If I just keep on clicking Ingore instead of Close when the Rundll32 error message pops up, the ME pack will continue normally but will not install the main hotfixes.

then while installing files from QFE.INF file I get this error message:

post-37246-1141513372_thumb.jpg

And the ME pack keeps on prompting me for the GDI.EXE, GDI32.DLL, UPDATE.SYS and KRNL386.EXE files.

I checked the unoffupd.inf file and I think it needs some modifications. Change the [sourceDisksNames] section that says:

"1=,,0" to 1=,"supp.cab",0 so that the ME pack can install those files from the supp.cab file.

I also checked the QFE.INF file that mentions the CustomDestination=CustomDestination.Section string.

I found out that there is no [CustomDestination.Section] section in the qfe.inf file. Please add the missing [CustomDestination.Section] string to elliminate that error message in the picture above (Note: if you're having trouble seeing that picture, click on it to view it in another browser window and it will be displayed a little bigger).

Hopefully the Rundll32 problem gets fixed in the next beta.

Edited by erpdude8

Thanks for the report.

New version! This is still Beta 2, but it is version 2 of the beta.

Hosted on mytempdir, id 498247.

Fixed all bugs reported.

the_guy

I'll hold off til beta 3. the spupdate.inf file needs to be modified some more.

I saw the following in the spupdate.inf file about the Movie Maker desktop shortcut info-

----

setup.ini, progman.groups,, "Desktop="%49758%""

setup.ini, Desktop,, """Windows Movie Maker"", """"""%24%\progra~1\Moviem~1\moviemk.exe"""""",,,,,,""This application allows you to record, organize, edit and share Windows Media on your computer, via e-mail or the Internet."

----

Please add "49758=DestA,5" in the [CustomDestinationSection] section of the spupdate.inf file. Got this string from the 287564up.inf file. Also create the [DestA] section that has the following:

----

[DestA]

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders","Desktop",,"%25%\%DESK_TOP%"

----

And add DESK_TOP = "Desktop" in the [strings] section. Adding all these things should make the ME pack correctly create the Windows Movie Maker shortcut on the Start Menu and on the Windows ME desktop.

Also can you add newer Root Certificates Update? Download it here:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...en/rootsupd.exe

File size is now 228kb or 229kb.

Edited by erpdude8

I'll hold off til beta 3. the spupdate.inf file needs to be modified some more.

scratch that. I did test V2 of ME SP v2.02 beta 2. I was right. The spupdate.inf file needs more editing AND proofreading.

The "RunPreCommands.Section" mentioned in the spupdate.inf file does not exist. actually it was given a different name called [RunPreSetupCommands.Section] which should have launched NIRCMD but the ME pack did not execute NIRCMD because it can not find "RunPreCommands.Section". Change [RunPreSetupCommands.Section]

to [RunPreCommands.Section]. Otherwise, without the ME pack executing NIRMCD to shut down SFP, SFP will start restoring many of the updated system files from the ME pack with the original ones.

In the [Del.Windows] section the "wininet.log" file should be listed as "wininit.log" file. change "wininet.log" to "wininit.log"

The section that mentions the SPUPD_2.INF file; it should be named to SPUPD2-INF file. Otherwise, an error message will pop up saying it can not find the SPUPD_2.INF file during installation because that file was given a slightly different name.

The "DestA" section should be the following:

[DestA]

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders","Desktop",,"%25%\Desktop"

And the ME pack prompted me for the CDFS.VXD and HH.EXE files. I clicked on OK and it continued as normal.

Hopefully these corrections (and the suggestions about the Windows Movie Maker desktop shortcut mentioned in my last post) AND the newer Rootsupd.exe file will be included in the next beta release.

Edited by erpdude8

And in the last few days I've found even more problems with the ME service pack.

good thing I took the liberty AND the time to edit and proofread most of the INF files inside the ME pack.

The UNOFFUPD.INF file needs some more tweaking. What I did was add the "SmartReboot = N" string in the [DefaultInstall] section and changed the "wininet.log" string in the [Del.Machine] section to "wininit.log". Without the SmartReboot = N string, the ME pack will display the Restart Computer dialog box before the ME service pack is almost finished installing the updated files.

Un-installing the ME service pack did not work as expected as many of the system files were not restored to their original ME versions. I gave the SPUNINST.INF file a MAJOR makeover, changing most of the files that end in ,,,32 to either ,,,1028 or ,,,4. that will make WinME setup overwrite the updated files with the older & original ones from the ME setup files. I also removed the [Copy.Install] and [Copy.Options] sections from the SPUNINST.INF file because copying the original system files to those sections is UNnecessary (and wastes some disk space). Now the SPUNINST.INF file is a little smaller.

Also removed the "SmartReboot = N" string in the SPUNINST.INF file so that the Restart Computer dialog box WILL show up after un-installing the ME service pack. I removed references to some system files in the SPUNINST.INF file because some of them do NOT exist in the original WinME setup files (such as hhsetup.dll, unicows.dll and vmm.vxd < those files are not found in the WinME setup files).

About these lines in the SPUNINST.INF file:

---

"RunDll32.exe %11%\AdvPack.Dll,LaunchINFSection %17%\Preserve.inf,DefaultUninstall"

"RunDll32.exe %11%\AdvPack.Dll,LaunchINFSection %17%\Wuinfo.inf,DefaultUninstall"

"RunDll32.exe %11%\AdvPack.Dll,LaunchINFSection %17%\Tweaks.inf,DefaultUninstall"

"RunDll32.exe %11%\AdvPack.Dll,LaunchINFSection %17%\Qfe.inf,DefaultUninstall"

---

I transferred them from the [RunPostCommands.Section] to the [RunPreCommands.Section]. It was like that in the spuninst.inf file of Gape's Win98se service pack. These commands needed to be executed before those 4 INF files get deleted. When these lines were placed in [RunPostCommands.Section], they dont execute and I get error messages saying it can not find those INF files, probably because they were deleted before the ME pack got a chance to execute them. So those lines should really belong in the [RunPreCommands.Section].

I've also modified SPUPDATE.INF file to make a copy of the NIRCMD.EXE file and store it into the WINDOWS\INF folder so that we need it later when we un-install the ME service pack. Without copying the NIRCMD file, the NIRCMD commands in the SPUNINST.INF file will not work because it can not find the NIRCMD file. I also modified the the SPUNINST.INF file so that it will execute the NIRCMD file found in the Windows\Inf folder.

I will send the modified INF files to the_guy later this week. what would he do without me!

Edited by erpdude8

also the Q318307 Vmouse.vxd file ver. 4.90.3003 should also be added onto the ME service pack. The Q318307 Vmouse.vxd hotfixes for Win98 & ME were packaged inside Microsoft's Intellipoint Mouse v4.12 software, which I have installed on my WinME computer.

All of those errors are fixed in beta 3, which should be released in a few days. Vmouse.vxd is also added.

Also, I noticed that MDGx has an unofficial 314147 update for ME posted on his site.

the_guy

All of those errors are fixed in beta 3, which should be released in a few days. Vmouse.vxd is also added.

Also, I noticed that MDGx has an unofficial 314147 update for ME posted on his site.

the_guy

wonderful. in beta 4 or release candidate 1 we should add the un-install confirmation dialog box to the ME service pack. i've figured out how to do it.

Are you guys still working on this?? This will be a huge time saver when its done, since updating via windows update requires hours of downloading, installing, and rebooting over and over again, even with a DSL connection.

Are you guys still working on this?? This will be a huge time saver when its done, since updating via windows update requires hours of downloading, installing, and rebooting over and over again, even with a DSL connection.

oh yes, foothills. I have a WinME machine and I have tested beta 2-v2 of the ME service pack. beta 3 is almost ready.

I think I've found that out as well. If it's the same as WMP 6.4, I have it in already. It might be wrong, though. Please post your method as well.

the_guy

maybe after you release beta 3 of the ME service pack, whenever it is ready. should be more stable than previous betas.