Service Pack for Windows ME

the_guy

Hi Sir!

My apologies if I asked the same question. You see it was unintentional & I only tried asking about the same thing before you replied as I thought nobody read my question. I think I posted the same message about the same time. Please know that I was already fine with the 1st answer.

Again, no offense meant.

As for the Win95 SP, I was just hinking it there would be somebody out there still tinkering with me. You see, I have all WinOS installed in my multi-boot setup & another set as virtual drives.

I am using all the OSs to be able to come up with tools for troubleshooting, specifically taking screenshots of OS native tools.

Thanks much again!

-KIKI-

understandable Kiki (even though we're going a little off topic from WinME SP). First of all there are several versions of Win95; the original, OSR1 [Win95 orig. + SP1], OSR2, OSR2.1 [win95 sr2 + usb supplement], and OSR2.5. There is an official service pack for the original release of Win95 posted at this Microsoft site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloa...ck1/Default.asp

so there is no need to make an unofficial win95 SP for the original & osr1 versions. And there are NO win95 OSR2 SPs of any kind since nobody is willing to make one and all support for all editions of Win95 have been ceased several years ago.

:whistle: hes buttercup.

mou-haha. buttercup. good one, timeless.

time to get back to the topic about the ME service pack.

note to the_guy: be sure to add the Dcom Config tools CISCNFG.EXE & DCOMCNFG.EXE onto the ME pack as well.

Edited by erpdude8

Hey all,

sorry about the delay, I'm fighting a cold and I couldn't get on here for a couple of days.

The dcom configuration tools are being added to the next version. I still have some questions about the unofficial updates, but for now are still in the SUPP.CAB file.

the_guy

Hey all,

sorry about the delay, I'm fighting a cold and I couldn't get on here for a couple of days.

The dcom configuration tools are being added to the next version. I still have some questions about the unofficial updates, but for now are still in the SUPP.CAB file.

the_guy

you way want to take a few more days off and get well before posting up the ME pack. be sure to add the

Start.exe and Nircmd.exe files into the pack as these are required for shutting down system restore,

sfp & vxdmon before the installation of files from the ME pack. And when removing/un-installing the ME pack,

the Nircmd file must ALSO be used to shutdown sys-restore/SFP before removal of the ME pack so that SFP wont interfere with un-install.

MDGx has posted a newer ME912919 patch that I've downloaded and tested. This one worked to perfection as previous revisions to ME912919 had problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

the cold I was fighting has gone away. I did add the dcom tools erpdude, and I hope that this version works fine. I have decided to call this version beta 1. I will probably have to make an emergency update if there are any new updates for ME released tomorrow.

the link is http://www11.rapidupload.com/d.php?file=dl&filepath=6865]here. It is at RapidUpload.

There are a lot of changes in this version. If anyone finds a bug, let me know.

the_guy

nice to see that you are feeling better. I'll try the ME SP when I can. I wont install it on my WinME machine because it has important files. So I will test the ME service pack beta on my next-door neighbor's computer that has WinME as the neighbor does not use it much.

I've made the pchscoff.inf and stmgroff.inf files that will remove the registry entries that will no longer make Pchealth and Statemgr load at startup. this means that SFP will not load at startup and hence better performance for WinME. I've noticed when using WinME for a long time, sometimes Statemgr/SFP hangs at startup, forcing me to restart WinME [guess that's why some people hate ME and recommend dumping ME]. With SFP disabled and not loaded at startup, ME will load faster and have a lesser chance of freezing at startup. Of course, disabling Statemgr/SFP will also disable System restore which is also a good thing because WinME users MUST disable system restore before installing the ME service pack.

Here's what I have in the pchscoff.inf file:

-----

[Version]

signature="$CHICAGO$"

AdvancedINF=2.5

[DefaultInstall]

DelReg=pchsched.reg.del

[pchsched.reg.del]

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run","PCHealth",0,"%10%\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s"

-----

and here's what I have in the stmgroff.inf file:

-----

[Version]

signature="$CHICAGO$"

AdvancedINF=2.5

[DefaultInstall]

DelReg=statemgr.reg.del

[statemgr.reg.del]

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices","*StateMgr",0,"%11%\Restore\StateMgr.exe"

-----

Let me know if you need these two INF files so that they can be included in the next beta of the ME service pack.

Edited by erpdude8

Yes, but isn't System File Protection possibly the only improvement that Windows Me has over 98SE? I would think that's the one thing I wouldn't want turned off, except for installing Service Packs and unnofficial updates.

For example, I have the old Topics Complete Classical Music cd set. If I install Mozart (a cd program with the history of Mozart with music and stuff) on Windows Me with State Mgr not loaded, Windows Me is destroyed. (Will not start Windows again, ever. Must format.) I've never been able to figure out what the Mozart installation changes that causes this. 98SE doesn't suffer from this. It suggests changes to AutoExec.bat, but it lets you not make those changes so the problem is not there.

But if I have the normal full StateMgr running, Windows Me is not adversly effected by anything Mozart installs so there is no problem.

I can see turning off System Restore and SFP for the service pack install, but then reinstating it following its use.

Just a suggestion, but I hope this option to reinstate the default behavior is included in some future version of a Windows Me service pack. When I use Windows Me, I usually have followed MDGx's advice to use CoolKill to turn off SFP and also make sure I disable System Restore when installing some of the unnofficial updates as it is the only way to get them installed. But I then restart System Restore and generally have it active when using the operating system.

You should restart your computer after installing this anyway. After a restart, those processes will be loaded.

New release in a few days to update the unofficial 891711 update (or just install that update)

the_guy

Yes, but isn't System File Protection possibly the only improvement that Windows Me has over 98SE? I would think that's the one thing I wouldn't want turned off, except for installing Service Packs and unnofficial updates.

For example, I have the old Topics Complete Classical Music cd set. If I install Mozart (a cd program with the history of Mozart with music and stuff) on Windows Me with State Mgr not loaded, Windows Me is destroyed. (Will not start Windows again, ever. Must format.) I've never been able to figure out what the Mozart installation changes that causes this. 98SE doesn't suffer from this. It suggests changes to AutoExec.bat, but it lets you not make those changes so the problem is not there.

But if I have the normal full StateMgr running, Windows Me is not adversly effected by anything Mozart installs so there is no problem.

I can see turning off System Restore and SFP for the service pack install, but then reinstating it following its use.

Just a suggestion, but I hope this option to reinstate the default behavior is included in some future version of a Windows Me service pack. When I use Windows Me, I usually have followed MDGx's advice to use CoolKill to turn off SFP and also make sure I disable System Restore when installing some of the unnofficial updates as it is the only way to get them installed. But I then restart System Restore and generally have it active when using the operating system.

My opinion fluctuates with system file protection under ME. sometimes I want SFP on, other times I want it off.

luckily I've made two INF files that turn ON Pchealth and Statemgr:

contents of Pchschon.inf:

-----

[Version]

signature="$CHICAGO$"

AdvancedINF=2.5

[DefaultInstall]

AddReg=pchsched.reg.add

[pchsched.reg.add]

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run","PCHealth",0,"%10%\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s"

-----

contents of Stmgr-on.inf:

-----

[Version]

signature="$CHICAGO$"

AdvancedINF=2.5

[DefaultInstall]

AddReg=statemgr.reg.add

[statemgr.reg.add]

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices","*StateMgr",0,"%11%\Restore\StateMgr.exe"

-----

Mostly, I have SFP enabled on my WinME machine but Pchschd.exe disabled cuz it's kinda useless and slows my system down.

eidenk (who also uses Windows ME) has SFP disabled on his ME computer. I'd like to hear from him and respond to Eck's comments about not turning off SFP.

Oh I see. So after rebooting it's back to normal. Okay then!

Still, it would be interesting to read the differing opinions about this. I would say that having these processes enabled on the computers built back when Windows Me was released probably taxed the system. But on computers built in the last couple of years? It probably slows things down a bit, but at tolerable levels.

I remember heavy gamers complaining about some of this stuff coming on while they were playing their games and causing pauses, delays, freezes, etc. I can see where an "off" switch would be a good idea for the times when you'll be battling out on the internet with other gamers. Is just turning off System Restore in the system properties good enough, or does part of the System Health stuff suddenly turn on and slow up things anyway?

With all the memory and processor speeds we have today, perhaps just using the same memory optimizations the Gape uses in the Service Pack and setting a defined swap file min and max would help.

When using older software, I usually felt safer when installing them while using Windows Me because SFP was there to put the newer files back. I'm just not sure whether this works quite as well as the Windows XP version of it. I remember checking the folder and log once in awhile and noticing updates being replaced by older original Windows Me versions of things. So I never knew whether something like WMP, for example, was really updated. The version in the software could report the updated version, but the actual files were hijacked by SFP!

So, SFP would be a great thing if we could really trust it to judge properly what it should let get replaced. Heck, I'm not even sure if XP decides correctly all the time.

here's eidenk's comments from early December 2005:

For those whose files are in use and are replaced after reboot there shouldn't be any particular magic as SFP monitors only file access not size or checksum AFAIK. For the others I don't know as 1) I don't use SFP at all, 2) Inf syntax is way beyond me.

As he stated, he doesnt use SFP on his ME computer. guess that means he disabled it completely.

besides, when SFP loaded on my WinME computer, it locks up the system a few times while loading the desktop.

I had to reboot WinME just to make WinME and SFP load properly again. there are times when I want SFP disabled so that it wont hang ME when the desktop loads.

note to the_guy:

can you add the updated npdsplay.dll file [v3.0.2.629] in the next beta of the ME service pack?

I've just found out that in one of the WinME setup CAB files, it contained an older version of

the npdsplay.dll file [v3.0.2.626]. Microsoft says in MS security bulletin MS06-006 that

Win98/ME systems are not affected. They are WRONG! If a Win98 user installed

the full version of WMP 6.4 or WMP 7.1 (which includes older versions of the npdsplay.dll file)

they ARE vulnerable to the security problem. And so are ME users.

fortunately, I've asked MDGx to make an unofficial npdsplay.dll patch that will install under

Win9x, ME and NT4 systems.

I have the newer U891711 fix that has version 4.10.2225 of the KB891711.exe file. The author

of the U891711 patch erroneously dated version 4.10.2225 of KB891711.exe file as 10/4/2005,

that's the same date as version 4.10.2224 of KB891711.exe file. I had to make a correction

to v4.10.2225 of the KB891711.exe file by changing the date to 2/11/2006 so that users can

easily tell the difference between different versions of the KB891711.exe file. I'll send this

new U891711 to you when I get the chance.

I don't have a problem with that.

1 Quick question: Is npdsplay.dll protected in ME? I have a feeling it's not, but it might be.

I have the patches for 911565 ready, with a seperate ME one due to the SR/SFP disabling.

the_guy

As he stated, he doesnt use SFP on his ME computer. guess that means he disabled it completely.
Yes it is entirely removed. I have used Beta10 Oppcom for Windows ME.

http://www.beta10.com/oppcomme.htm

1 Quick question: Is npdsplay.dll protected in ME? I have a feeling it's not, but it might be.

Protected files are listed in Filelist.xml I think.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/xmlnotepad.html