Super Windows XP SP1 CD :-)

After 4 days of research and testing with a couple of hair-tearing moments thrown in :) I've finally made myself the ultimate Windows XP SP1 CD! :rolleyes:

This CD installs Windows XP SP1, and some of my favourite essential applications, registry hacks, Pre SP2 hotifxes, without any user interaction and without setup asking you questions such as your name, product key, regional settings etc as this is all pre-set in a custom made winnt.sif file.

What it does:

• Allows you to choose hard disk and formatting options in text-mode setup then proceeds to...
  • Run Setup in GUI mode without user interaction.
  • Once Windows setup is finished it will reboot and load for the first time, but before the desktop loads, it silently installs:
  • All pre-sp2 hofixes and IE/OE Cumulative patches up to end of April '03
  • Installs Symantec Antivirus Corporate, Kerio Firewall, Flashget 1.4, Diskeeper 7.0.427 and then updates to build 428.
  • Installs DirectX 9.0a Redist, MSN Messenger 5.0, WMP9, MovieMaker 2, .NET Framework 1.1, MS Java VM Build 3810, and lastly a couple of powertoys
  • Patches the uxtheme.dll to allow hacked visual styles
  • Installs all my favourite registry hacks, and removes all of windows default wallpapers and screensavers
  • After that, it will automatically reboot, and your PC is ready to use

Impressed? :D You can get started with making your own by following a simple guide to get the Windows Setup part done automatically at TackTech, and then if you want to go advanced and install applications, and reg hacks etc. go to Unattended.netfirms.com

I'll be around to help out, but I will only be able to help you if I know the answer depending on what I've made on my own XPSP1 CD. The best way to test out your unattended cd would be to load it in Virtual PC as an ISO.

yeah, I made a couple of very lame mistakes. It should take about 2 days if people ask questions on parts of the process before attempting to do it.

heh, I think I've installed Windows XP about 15 times now lol :)

Awesome dude...and thanks for the links.

I have been wanting to do this myself.

I am going to give it a try.

And thats a great idea to use VM for testing.

I use it to test everything from wierd setups to beta software.

GREAT JOB!

MATA7, because some people have more than one PC. This is perfect for people who dont have the time to sit through all the installations on more than one PC or for people with a single hard drive that is used for beta testing. A lot of people here do a lot of beta testing, game testing, or just simply corrupt their hard drives with new software. The CD has a lot of uses.

In the case of OEM System Builders this method of unattended installation in remote locations is also valuable. Using AaronXP's method you could install Mandrake or any free OS with other free software that you have tested to be a perfect combination and save a customer big bucks in software alone not to mention the added bonus of providing them a System Restore CD.

Just some ideas.

This is perfect for people who dont have the time to sit through all the installations on more than one PC or for people with a single hard drive that is used for beta testing. A lot of people here do a lot of beta testing, game testing, or just simply corrupt their hard drives with new software.

That's me! :):rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...