Super Windows XP SP1 CD :-)

Aaron, would you be able to email to me the files needed to created this cd, and I'll host them on my webserver until there is a dedicated section on MSFN?

No, sorry. I cannot give copies of the site away due to copyrights by the original owner. It won't be long before its up though!

now this is good being an Oem for M$ i know most of the stuff like putting the drivers in during setup but to tell the truth never thought of doing all the reghacks and the add ons always done that afterwards :) but thanx to this little discussion and the pointers and links people have put up im now in the process of renewing all my restore cd's with what people need to get XP just the way it should be (never know one day we may not need to do it M$ will actually do it for us!!!! NOT) im really pleased people are trying things like this it saves everyone's time and makes life a little easier.

one more thing does anyone know where to get some more reghacks for XP just so i can take a look and see what i can possibly do to make it a little more interesting thank's in advance for any help

one more thing does anyone know where to get some more reghacks for XP just so i can take a look and see what i can possibly do to make it a little more interesting thank's in advance for any help

Kelly's XP Corner has the most reghacks I've ever seen, takes a while to browse through all of them!

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm :)

gamehead200, I was referring to installing Windows XP 15 times in the 4 day period. :rolleyes:

automatic_install_small.gif

:)

Lol! A kindred spirit...I spent an entire weekend trying to compress a DVD into an AVI. By the way, thanks for this info! I've been looking for some >complete< info like this for a while now.

heheh. Copying DVD's to AVI is an art all in its own. I have it down so that I can do a 2 hour movie in about 6 hours now. That include ripping, preperation and encoding time. Does not include burning time.

Aaron ~ Nice post.

I have a few comments as well as questions for this setup.

Comments:

1) You should install the Java Patch as well that is still available thru windows update as a silent install.

2) You can also configure the policies on the machine as well. I know of a command line option to do this which is quite effective.

3) Slapping this on a bootable DVD would be sweet!

Questions:

1) Is there a way to configure the services on the PC when the initial setup is running? Perhaps some command line option?

2) Do you know of a utility that creates user ids? (Much like the deluser.exe file)

3) Why doesnt the administrator account log in automatically the first time the pc boots up?

--Charlz

Aaron ~ Nice post.

I have a few comments as well as questions for this setup.

Comments:

1) You should install the Java Patch as well that is still available thru windows update as a silent install.

2) You can also configure the policies on the machine as well. I know of a command line option to do this which is quite effective.

3) Slapping this on a bootable DVD would be sweet!

Questions:

1) Is there a way to configure the services on the PC when the initial setup is running? Perhaps some command line option?

2) Do you know of a utility that creates user ids? (Much like the deluser.exe file)

3) Why doesnt the administrator account log in automatically the first time the pc boots up?

--Charlz

1. As for your first question there is no way to configure the services, because the pc has not been actually booted into the win32 environment, hence services are not available.

2. There is no such utility to my knowledge, if you finf one please let us know

3. You can set this by creating and unattended setup script by using the deploy tools found in the SUPPORT\TOOLS

folder, use the file deploy.cab and read the file deply.chm.

look at the script

[GuiUnattended]
   AdminPassword=
   EncryptedAdminPassword=
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=70
   OemSkipWelcome=1

the first line shows that there are no passwords assigned to the admin account, thereby allowing automatic login for this account.

Hope this help..

Sunil

p.s read the posts in this tread it contains tons of info on your problem

Sunil thanks for your quick reply. I asked about the automatic login to the admin account because when using sysprep on a ghosted image it has an option to automatically log in.

As far as the services: Put the discussion of the bootable unattended cd to the side. Is there a command line option to configure services?

--chaz

[edit]Here is one: http://sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psservice.shtml <<< But it does not disable a service - Only stops , restarts, etc. [/edit]

Well I figured out how to create a user ID at the command line and assign the user ID to a group!

net user jsmith tempword /ADD /FULLNAME:"John Smith" /COMMENT:"Accounting Manager"
net localgroup "Administrators" jsmith /ADD

That will create a user "John Smith" and add him to the administrators group. Can be handy for making your own personal XP disk eh? :)

You can use registry hacks to disable services, there's various dword values for disabled, manual, and automatic.

Thanks for the NET User command. At the moment I have unattendedswitch set at no so that the Welcome to Windows XP screen appears (where I can create a new User). After that it logs in under the account I just created, and then runs the batch to install updates and software.

There may be a slight problem when using NET User instead because its processed in the batch and logged in as default Administrator, so the various reghacks for HKEY_Current_User and the powertoys won't exist when logging in with my own name.

edit: The java patch is part of my batch (msjavwu.exe /Q:A /R:N). But I think this only works if an existing older copy of Java is on the OS (e.g. in the original Service Pack 1, not 1a). And yeah, it would be ace to put this on a DVD, I'll be able to add lots more silent-installed software :)

Aaron you are correct about the Java patch. It requires a version to be loaded before it. If you need a copy of either of these then PM me or email me and let me know.

So basically I wanted my disk to also configure GPO's on my machine as well as my services. Now that would be sweet. It doesnt seem like that is either extremely feasable or recommended though/ I will look into it more...

Thanks for net user command line command, this will help me streamline my Cd..

ArronXp, is it possible that the enable\disable registry settings for the services be used from the cd, although the services have not been started as yet, and is so wouldn't the services then overwrite them the first time they are started?..

Sunil

It works, using the registry tweaks batch I've disable the Messenger Service, Remote Registry, Print Spooler, and the IMAPI CD-ROM Burning service. Upon fully booting up these services are disabled as instructed by the registry hacks. :)

I wish ALL services had a similar hack. There are many others that need to be squashed cause they are security risks, take up memory and processor, etc. This is something I would be interested in doing for more than just the ones on kelly's site.

Question: Anywho the silent install of DX9a fails for me everytime. I have tried your switch Aaron (/opk) plus many others and they all fail. Does anybody have the proper silent command line switch to install DirectX9a??

Also the MSBA tools is great for all the security patches / hotfixes. I have every single one you can get on my cd. Very nice!! Man I can not wait for SP2... it will make life easier.

--charlz