How to boot/install from USB key ?

Halfwalker

I'am made a new usb image with new version USB_MultiBoot2 and still not worked correct.

I have the new Asus EeePC and I have only options to install xp from Usb disk.I'am try 2 times with clean XP SP2 disk and I'am not use any other tool like nlite!When I boot to Usb and begin to install work just fine,but when the labtop is restarted I have this error message in both try the same:

Windows could not start becouse the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>system32\hal.dll

Please re-install a copy of the above file

I just like to know why just the same xp disk work really fine when use it from CD boot,but fail in usb?

I can use another method explained from Lambo,but this is to slow and it take hours to install xp to this asus toy!

link:

Edited by Rudi1

I'am just fix this problem.Looks like that I'am read the instruction to fast :whistle: and not see that I must in restart choose the gui mode.I'am boot again and choose usb disk and then the gui mode and the setup is continue!

Thanx guys for this great tool and your work!Now I have windows xp installed to Asus EeePC from usb.

Maybae you can do it just better if we can use nlited xp too.I'am not try nlited xp yet,but for shure we can save a lot of free space in this slim disk.Thanx again,you save me a lot of time and some money too! :thumbup

How many partitions you have you your HD?

Where do you install windows to?

Do you have any hidden or non-standard ones?

Try in BIOS to play with LBA and LARGE mode if it is AUTO.

Do you have any other USB mass storage devices plugged, including card readers, smartfones etc.

What do you mean

I tried using the BartPE and UBCD4Win environments and had no luck, the setup with winnt32.exe doesn't work
?

Did you change winnt.sif AFTER usb_prep...? You have to remove the whole section [uNATTENDED], so the installer would prompt you where to install. Also make sure in [DATA] AutoPartition=0

I tried it both with and without the Unattended sections and I always get the same error about that one file. I've made at least 10 builds with this utility alone and it hasn't worked.

Winnt32.exe doesn't work because of nLite, most likely. I've seen this happen before when I tried to run setup from inside Windows and it would skip to the last step and say it didn't work, and have me click Finish. Despite this not working, I have always been able to install Windows when I boot from the CD.

Like I said, I can copy the setup files to the HD in BartPE, but does that get me anywhere?

You did not answer most of my question, neither confirmed if the other suggestions were tried...how can I help you?!

Sorry, but you should do 10 rebuilds with Nlite, not with usb_prep.., since the problem is in your source.

Deleting [unattended] is to prevent TXT Setup NOT asking you where to install windows to and has nothing to do with ntoskrnl.exe error.

Nlited sources do work, just you have to be careful and understand what you are removing.

@Rudi1- thanks for feedback :)

Do you have any other USB mass storage devices plugged, including card readers, smartfones etc.

What do you mean

I tried using the BartPE and UBCD4Win environments and had no luck, the setup with winnt32.exe doesn't work
?

Did you change winnt.sif AFTER usb_prep...? You have to remove the whole section [uNATTENDED], so the installer would prompt you where to install. Also make sure in [DATA] AutoPartition=0

I tried it both with and without the Unattended sections and I always get the same error about that one file. I've made at least 10 builds with this utility alone and it hasn't worked.

Winnt32.exe doesn't work because of nLite, most likely. I've seen this happen before when I tried to run setup from inside Windows and it would skip to the last step and say it didn't work, and have me click Finish. Despite this not working, I have always been able to install Windows when I boot from the CD.

Like I said, I can copy the setup files to the HD in BartPE, but does that get me anywhere?

You did not answer most of my question, neither confirmed if the other suggestions were tried...how can I help you?!

Sorry, but you should do 10 rebuilds with Nlite, not with usb_prep.., since the problem is in your source.

Deleting [unattended] is to prevent TXT Setup NOT asking you where to install windows to and has nothing to do with ntoskrnl.exe error.

Nlited sources do work, just you have to be careful and understand what you are removing.

@Rudi1- thanks for feedback :)

Well that makes no sense. If the nLite build is perfectly fine, then there's only the possibility of the problem being at this tool. If it can't accept an nLited source, nLite still doesn't have any reason to change for this. Clearly the install method is doing something that is very different from what would normally happen for the textmode and GUI steps.

Frankly I guess I ignored the top section where the bulk of your questions were, because I was in a rush and they don't seem to apply in my case. I have a single SATA drive with nothing on it. I couldn't get AHCI mode to work at all, so it's in IDE mode. Really nothing else I can configure there.

Install form a CD and install using winnt32.exe, which you reported not to work differ. Why- ask Microsoft.

Here, for now, we can use only the winnt32.exe approach, in earlier versions using directly winnt32.exe, in latest by "cloning" its functionality.

If you can help to develop a way to prepare stick like if using CD- please do so, you are more than welcome.

Why your nlited source didn't work with winnt32.exe you have to figure out. Start with a clean, not Nlited source, and find when functionality gets broken. This may take you more than 10 builds.

The questions I asked may not seem relevant for you, but to ask them I have reasons. If have to explain in details, this is going to take time, more than the one I could afford, so feel free to pay or not attention at all.

And I asked you to check LBA and LARGE hard disks mode, not AHCI or SATA. In some cases when hard drive is not seen properly this may lead to all kinds of "not making sense" results, as are their resolutions, this is not very likely, as I believe the problem is in your source, but would have taken you way less time to check settings, than the time I've spent to type all this.

Gee, this is just fanfriggingtastic. Screw you, and your little dog, too. People just don't seem to listen to reason....

Considering that I have a brain, I was able to figure it out and not come up with ridiculous non-sequiturs and imaginary reasoning.

Well... I ran this damn utility again, and as expected got the error about the file missing. I also ran UBCD4Win and looked at the HD, which revealed everything was just sitting there as it should. No missing files.

So what was that about using Winnt32.exe? First of all, I don't know why this crap wouldn't just emulate everything the normal textmode setup would do and then not require you to use the USB stick ever again. That is, when I use a CD I only boot from it once, this way here it just a hassle. Also using winnt32.exe here can't be the same way it is used when you run it from a Windows environment, and I would venture to guess you're just wrong in assuming winnt32 is being utilized.

So now what? Well since the garbage is copied to the HD, but it says files are missing, perhaps it refers to the wrong location. A quick guess was that, since this is but a simple script, it's assuming parameters are static when they are not, like how you can rename the Windows folder to whatever you want (which is what I had done). So I renamed "Win2003" to "Windows", and booya. It started up into the GUI setup after reimaging my damn USB stick once again. Further investigation reveals the culprit is the unchanging and assuming boot.ini file.

Also note: I completely left in the [unattended] section and did NOT even reboot after creating the partition on my HD. By the way, you're welcome, for me sharing my genius with you here today.

Yep, you are genius indeed.

The typical error with XP ntldr/ntdetect.com when arcpath or windows folder path is messed is "hal.dll is missing or corrupted", exactly what was mentioned a few posts above.

Use ntldr/ntdetect.com from 2003, the same boot.ini, error becomes "ntoskrnl.exe is missing or..." . At least I am now aware, that the error message was changed in 2003. Thanks for the clue.

It seems you didn't pay attention to this question, which answer would have helped right away:

What do you mean

?

Not to mention how reading previous posts...

Hi cdob,
Next I installed windows at folder c:\windows51. First reboot failed.

Obviously boot.ini at USB stick dosn't match:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="GUI Mode Setup" /FASTDETECT

Can you think of simple way to adjust boot.ini on stick to match everyone's needs? May be if we include in usb_prep.cmd questions like "do you plan to install XP in folder other than default \WINDOWS?", "do you plan to install it on partition/disk other than first hard disk, first partition" and amend BOOT.INI on stick accordingly?

My opinion is this way of installing Xp from USB requires some user intervention, adjusting to one's specific needs. May be some info could be displayed about this issue in usb_prep.cmd. Another way is to revert back to Grub4Dos and invoke NTLDR on hard disk, in this case mapping should be used, which restricts us in the same way, because of the different drive/partition numeration. So we'd need to amend menu.lst, instead of BOOT.INI on stick. Can't think of any other way to avoid that....

Or help files:

Help_USB_Multiboot2.txt

...C. ***** NON-STANDARD INSTALLS OF WINDOWS XP *****

Install of XP Windows from the bootable USB-Drive

next to WINDOWS on the same or on a different partition of the harddisk,

was realised successfully by proper manually adjustment in advance

of the BOOT.INI file on the USB-Drive.

Adjust BOOT.INI on USB-Drive:

For Install on the Second Partition, change partition(1) in partition(2)

For Install Next to WINDOWS, change WINDOWS to what will be used as Install FoderName, e.g. WINDOWS51

So these non-standard installs are still possible,

but require only small changes in the BOOT.INI on the USB-Drive in advance.

Examples of such boot.ini files are given in the Help_Info folder.

could save geniuses some time, unneeded arrogance and ignorance.

Thanks for your input anyway.

Edited by ilko_t

Boy I love vague questions. Yes, your ugly list of questions should have clearly directed me to say "it's installed to X folder", which I guess is now standard computer terminology for "where" with no other arguments attached. And yeah, attacking nLite constantly and whatever other nonsense options sure really did a lot here. Good try on the attempt to save some face, though.

But really, if you think it would be useful to scour through all you peoples' old post from months prior, I might as well not ask for any help and save the time by answering my own questions.

Plus I looked specifically for anything at all that could have been said about my issue, but I guess I can't expect a bunch of Internet Experts to compile a decent ReadMe when they come up with a final release.

But really, if you think it would be useful to scour through all you peoples' old post from months prior, I might as well not ask for any help and save the time by answering my own questions.

EXCELLENT idea. :)

If, while doing the above, you could also avoid posting here offending people that have worked for months on this project would also be higly appreciated, and I guess ilko's poor innnocent pup would appreciate it too. ;)

jaclaz

EXCELLENT idea. :)

If, while doing the above, you could also avoid posting here offending people that have worked for months on this project would also be higly appreciated, and I guess ilko's poor innnocent pup would appreciate it too. ;)

jaclaz

Yes ! :hello:

The typical error with XP ntldr/ntdetect.com when arcpath or windows folder path is messed is "hal.dll is missing or corrupted", exactly what was mentioned a few posts above.
Use ntldr/ntdetect.com from 2003, the same boot.ini, error becomes "ntoskrnl.exe is missing or..." . At least I am now aware, that the error message was changed in 2003.

@ilko_t

For INSTALL of Windows 2003 I added the following lines to Help_USB_MultiBoot2.txt

in the Section C. for NON STANDARD INSTALLS

ERROR Message for WIN2003: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe file missing

indicates Install Foldername does not correspond to foldername in boot.ini

For Windows 2003 one has to adjust Manually boot.ini in Advance.

In makebt\boot.ini change foldername WINDOWS in WIN2003

or don't change boot.ini and use WINDOWS as Install Foldername instead of WIN2003

Regards,

wimb

Edited by wimb

This latest days I'am try several xp install from Usb with wimb program and I must say that work really fine with original windows xp sp 2 pro version and if you read carefully instruction how you must do it :rolleyes:

I also try different usb keys and it work well,but I have a problem with nlited xp.The nlite xp is important for me,becouse I have the new Asus EeePc laptop which one have only 4 gb disk and full xp install take almost half of it.

I like to ask if is posible to made this program with support for installing all xp version(pro,home,nlite..)?

I know we can do it with boot usb and winnt.exe command,but this options take a lot of time to install.

Wimb and some other guys here is made almost impossible tool :thumbup .With this tool we can install windows xp like in the CD way,but from usb key,so maybae is the way for this option...

This latest days I'am try several xp install from Usb with wimb program and I must say that work really fine with original windows xp sp 2 pro version and if you read carefully instruction how you must do it :rolleyes:

I also try different usb keys and it work well,but I have a problem with nlited xp.The nlite xp is important for me,becouse I have the new Asus EeePc laptop which one have only 4 gb disk and full xp install take almost half of it.

I like to ask if is posible to made this program with support for installing all xp version(pro,home,nlite..)?

I know we can do it with boot usb and winnt.exe command,but this options take a lot of time to install.

Wimb and some other guys here is made almost impossible tool :thumbup .With this tool we can install windows xp like in the CD way,but from usb key,so maybae is the way for this option...

Unfortunately there is not a "standard" nlited Xp, it all depends on what you remove with nlite.

You just remove one component too much and bam! it won't work anymore.

Just for the record, since you own a Eeepc, a "NICK" guy here:

http://www.digwin.com/view/installing-wind...usb-flash-drive

is distributing wimb's (and ilko_t's, and all the other people who contributed to this project) work without mentioning them (us) nor MSFN. :wacko:

If you have some spare time, can you (and other members, of course) post there, expressing how this way of publishing and distributing other people's work without citing them is an unfair practice?

(I tried to, but my current setup is not working on that site) :(

jaclaz

@all

Please when using Nlite do NOT select Operating System Options-->Manual Install and Upgrade for removal. This reduces in my setup source only 11.12MB, AFAIK has no effect on targed size, but screws up DOSNET.INF in way, so we can't use it for purpose of this project.

Here is report, of differences found in DOSNET.INF before and after nlite, used only with the above mentioned option.

@Rudi1- make a new source and make sure you do not select that option, please report if that was the problem.

@wimb- I don't get the idea why this check for FAT. I used USB_MultiBoot2 on FAT32 virtual drive and couldn't go further. There is also possibility to install from NTFS formatted USB hard drive. makeBS.cmd is happy with NTFS, thanks to jaclaz, only boot file name length must be 5 symbols exactly.

Can you also have a look at the attached report.html, may be some check if the mention option in Nlite was used should be done, this will avoid a lot invalid preparations.

@jaclaz- with the Asus EeePC expect a lot of traffic :)

Regards,

ilko

Report.rar

Edited by ilko_t

@all

Please when using Nlite do NOT select Operating System Options-->Manual Install and Upgrade for removal. This reduces in my setup source only 11.12MB, AFAIK has no effect on targed size, but screws up DOSNET.INF in way, so we can't use it for purpose of this project.

Here is report, of differences found in DOSNET.INF before and after nlite, used only with the above mentioned option.

@wimb- I don't get the idea why this check for FAT. I used USB_MultiBoot2 on FAT32 virtual drive and couldn't go further. There is also possibility to install from NTFS formatted USB hard drive. makeBS.cmd is happy with NTFS, thanks to jaclaz, only boot file name length must be 5 symbols exactly.

Can you also have a look at the attached report.html, may be some check if the mention option in Nlite was used should be done, this will avoid a lot invalid preparations.

Regards,

ilko

In USB_MultiBoot2.cmd the check that the Target USB-Drive has FAT Format,

was needed in view of making MS-DOS and FREEDOS Bootsector Files for MultiBoot Support.

For Install of Windows XP from USB-Drive it is not necessary to limit to USB-Drives having FAT Format,

but Real USB-Drives formatted with PeToUSB have always a FAT Format,

and so it was thought also as userfriendly to present for Selecting as Target USB-Drive only Drives having FAT Format.

In the next version of the Program I can move the FAT Format check for the Target USB-Drive to a later stage,

where actually the Bootsector Files are made, so that the USB-drive in general can have any Format.

To the Help File I will Add the very interesting and worthfull frase:

- In Nlite do NOT select Operating System Options-->Manual Install and Upgrade for removal

I will also try to make some check on this in the USB_MultiBoot2.cmd Program.

Thanks ilko_t for your helpfull comment and advice on this.

Regards,

wimb

Edited by wimb

I'am made a new install with ilko_t suggestion and I keep Operating System Options-->Manual Install and Upgrade for removal in nlite and I can install windows xp pro sp2 without any problems in my EeePC.So far I'am try only pro version,so I don't know about home version,but looks like if we keep Manual Install and Upgrade for removal in nlite we can install nlited xp without problems. :thumbup