Fatal exception

Dax58

Hi everyone

I am new to the forum, my name is Mike. I am looking for some help. I am trying to help my sister with her computer, she run's win98se. A fatal exception just comes on when she is not even at the com,

fatal exception 0e 0028:f000e816 the blue screen. When she hits any key like the screen say's she will get a black screen with little green marks down the left side, then she has to reboot.

Any help would be great. Thank You

Mike

Welcome Mike.

To quote from this page, Fatal Exception errors related to 0E are hard to track down.

Can you tell us if there's a name given after the numbers. There usually is, and as you can see from that linked file it's of often very helpful to know when trying to work out what might be wrong.

You may want to check out this page also as it has a few good ideas on how to troubleshoot blue screen issues in general.

Cheers.

Nick

Those BSOD's can be caused by a number of different things, from a bad memory chip to a piece of spyware or even a virus or Trojan.

Troubleshooting that is a long and tedious process.

You could start by reseating all your plug in cards and ram chips.

Then do a very thorough scan for spyware using at least two programs like;

AdAware SE/Personal and Spybot Search & Destroy.

Then, get AVG 7.1 FREE , anti-virus program and do the updates and then do a full scan.

Eliminate all programs from the startup folder, not absolutely needed for windows to run.

You'll find that folder when you RUN 'MSCONFIG'.

BSOD's are not a normal function of Windows......something's causing it....you just need to eliminate as many possibilities as possible.....hopefully one of them will be the right one.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays,

Andromeda43

I thank everyone for the help.

I did all the suggestions however still geting error. Also nothing at the end of numbers.

My sister did say that when she is on the com. the BSOD will not come up, only will come on after com. is sitting idle about 1/2 hour. Please help.

Thank you

Mike

Just a guess (based on your "idle for about 1/2 hour" comment) but see if any of this helps:

* Temporarily disable all scheduled tasks.

* Turn off any screen saver that might be running.

* Set the "Power Saving" options (Display Properties->Screensaver->[Energy Saving] Settings) to never.

If the problem disappears try re-enabling the options one at a time to help work out which setting is causing the issue. If the problem persists try a RAM tester to check if flakey RAM is the cause (RAM could be fine when you first boot but go flakey when it heats up).

Cheers.