RIS, SIS, GROVELER...WHY SO SLOW?!

snag

How long should it take to place a RIS image on the server?! I mean...it originally went pretty quick (nowhere like a direct copy though) but now it has been like 5 hours and it is chugging along at what seems a crippled snail's pace.

Maybe you should take a look at your server's log... infected with twenty viruses. Or maybe it's your network infrastructure that can no longer handle all the traffic - traffic that's caused by the 20 thousand keyloggers on your pc's. Perhaps it's just your HDD that's dying. Or a process on the server that consumes too much CPU time.

Point is: you should give us a *bit* more information. We aren't sorcerors, you know. :P

P.S.: no offence intended. Just wanted to put it the funny way... Well... if you can't laugh... :P

lol...

Well...thing is it is a bare bare installation of Server2003. Using NOD32 for my AV. Absolutely nothing has changed in the server or any of the configuration for that matter. The only thing that has changed are the images.

So would it simply be that after images are added and deleted etc over the course of time that the groveler just becomes less efficient or more particularly busier as it has to search through the the files?

It just seems inherent that because of the job that SIS does it would be slower than just accepting all the slack space. And for that matter I could care less about using space inefficiently if it means things would be faster. There are 100GB dedicated to the the RIS partition alone and there are only going to be a maximum of 10 images at any given time anyway...

But no Bashrat...no keyloggers or any infections at all ;) Love the DPs btw. I feel *sniff* honored to be spoken to by you as well (and I am serious...keep up the awesome work!)

Your antivirus software should not be configured to run real-time on servers running the SIS service, because the filter drivers installed by the A/V software touch every file accessed by the system (just run filemon for a minute on your server and see just how many entries are caused by your A/V software - likely 50% or more). First things first - remove the A/V software from the server. Second, stop the SIS service and wait for the box to return to normal, performance-wise. Third, restart the SIS service, and let it do it's thing and rebuild it's indexes.

I wouldn't recommend reinstalling the A/V software on the box, either, or this sort of scenario is likely to play out again at a later time. Configure another box on the network to scan this one remotely on a schedule, but installing a filter driver on a server who's files change frequently (ie database server, RIS, file server, email server - etc...) is just asking for a performance issue sooner or later. And disabling the A/V doesn't remove the filter driver, so even if it's not actively scanning or monitoring, it's still accessing every file operation on the system... :unsure:

Snag,

Do you mean it's been chugging along for 5+ hours copying the flat image up to the server, or is this a RIPREP upload?

Either way something is very wrong.

Yep....way slow. Not impressed. This is supposed to save me time lol

Anyhow thanks for the advice regarding the AV cluberti. I will let this ****ing thing finish and then try it. I was even so made I uninstalled RIS, formatted that partition and started from scratch hehe.

cluberti...you rock! I diabled AMON and the second I clicked apply....the CDROM spun up and the files were flying!! I never thought an AV and SIS would be such bad playmates!!

Sorry for all the !! I am just so excited. I can actually make more than an image every two days.

Whenever I've had this happen to me it was network related. Meaning hardware. Does this happen to all of your clients or just some? I found some issues with speed autosensing between Cisco Catalyst switches and RealTek NICs (GOD I hate RealTek). I forget now what exact permutation worked for me, but it was something along the lines of forcing the RealTek NIC to 100Full and setting the port on the Cisco switch to AutoSense (I prefer setting all ports to force 100Full).

Anyway, take a look at what sort of NICs are involved, switches, etc and what the settings are.

I know antivirus software is crucial in today's world, but running A/V software on a server can be a bad idea, depending on what it's actually doing.

Rule of thumb - if the server is using the hard disk for server operations (ie database, file, email, RIS), do NOT install antivirus if at all possible. If you absolutely HAVE to install antivirus, do NOT run it in realtime. Good to hear that disabling the A/V solved your problem (it usually does :)).

Whenever I've had this happen to me it was network related. Meaning hardware. Does this happen to all of your clients or just some? I found some issues with speed autosensing between Cisco Catalyst switches and RealTek NICs (GOD I hate RealTek). I forget now what exact permutation worked for me, but it was something along the lines of forcing the RealTek NIC to 100Full and setting the port on the Cisco switch to AutoSense (I prefer setting all ports to force 100Full).

Anyway, take a look at what sort of NICs are involved, switches, etc and what the settings are.

Well...I am going to give props to you to since I use your guides and your Addon Pack.

BTW...the server has a Intel PRO/1000 MT Dual Prt Server NIC in it...so NORMALLY it screams hehe.

And ya know, I remember it flying before. It is just since I rebuilt this machine, the first instinct was AV!! It was the first I installed after ths OS so right from the get go with this install it was slow so I never really put 2 + 2 together.

But thanks for the replies guys...and keep up the great work!