Intel Pro 1000 nic

gadget

Ok, I'm getting stuck now.

Needed to add the intel pro1000 to my ris/winpe today (RIS says no without new drivers), got the latest drivers and the modified inf file, copied everything into the correct folders and made a new entry in the $oem directory, updated the sif file.

Booted the first system onto ris and loaded PE, nice and painless, no problem, PE loaded. Good I thought!

Better test it before I let the engineers use it and, erm, the thing will not resolve host names to IP addresses. Will not map a network drive using host name. IP mapping is fine...

Checked DHCP, WINS, DNS and everyting is correct. Other systems with b57 or intel pro 100's connect and can resolve names fine but the IBM's using the pro 1000 cannot.

Did notice when checking the leased IP addresses that the RIS generated computername does not show up alongside the leased address but it does with all the other networkcards (added e100, b57, yukon, realtek - all fine)

If anyone can offer some help I'd be grateful...

Or, does PE use a host table. Gonna try this....

Thanks.

Disclaimer:

I have searched the forums but nothing specific bit me in the nose so if there is a duplicate thread then sorry....

Edited by gadget

I'm getting ready to do exactly what you just did, but I haven't done it yet... Could you outline the steps you went through if you don't mind. It would be most helpful. Thanks!

Download the latest win2k drivers from http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...llName=Windows* 2000 Server〈=eng

created a new folder fot the RIS section %PERoot%\$oem$\1\e1000

added the oem path OemPnpDriversPath = \e1000 (under unattended) in the \i386\template\ristndrd.sif file.

copied the drivers into this, replaced the inf file with the attatched inf file ( http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...ystems〈=eng )

deleted any oem*.inf file from the i386 tree

deleted any entries for e1000*.* anywhere on my image

copied all the driver files to i386\system32

inf file into \inf folder

sys files into system32\drivers

deleted all *.pnf files in i386

restarted the binlsvc (net stop/Net start)

The problem that I had was in the oem driver section for the e100 card, somehow an old set of e1000 drivers was in there as well.

e1000nt5.inf

• 11 months later...

I am still unable to get these drivers to work within the WinPE environment. I have scoured the forum and have yet to find an answer.

I am adding all of the .din, .sys, .inf, .cat, and .exe files in the ProSet to their respective places within the WinPe image but everytime it defaults to a nete1000 driver created by Microsoft. Once I remove the nete1000 driver from the image the NIC simply doesn't work and in the logs it shows that no driver could be found for the device.

Any advice or instructions on how you were able to get the ProSet to work, or an Intel Pro 1000 card to work within the WinPe environment would be very greatly appreciated.

This question seems to come up for every single person I've ever heard of who PXE-boots a machine with an Intel Pro/1000 nic. The Pro/1000 drivers work exactly as advertised in a boot-from-anything-but-PXE scenario, but the first time you boot from PXE it goes to hell.

I'd suggest calling Intel if that's an option in your environment. Myself and countless others are using the same Intel ProSet 10.3 and 10.4 drivers to run our WinPE implementations without issue -- but those of us who have it working are also not using it for PXE booting.

Albuquerque, thank you for the absolutley worthless reply. Maybe you would like to post the advetisement by Intel that states it won't work in a PXE boot situation.

I was looking for someone who actually knew something about these drivers in a PXE boot environment, if I wanted an response like yours I would have queried a kindergarten class.

Thanks for nothing, maybe tonight will be your night. :no:

Albuquerque, thank you for the absolutley worthless reply. Maybe you would like to post the advetisement by Intel that states it won't work in a PXE boot situation.

I was looking for someone who actually knew something about these drivers in a PXE boot environment, if I wanted an response like yours I would have queried a kindergarten class.

Thanks for nothing, maybe tonight will be your night. :no:

Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to post such a trite response?

If you can pull your head out of the sand momentarily, I bet you might be able to realize that I just answered your question: has anyone experienced this and have the solution?

The answers are: YES, others have experienced it, posted about it and discussed it in the very recent and distant past. NO, there has never been an answer found here, on the 911 forums, in any other accessible fashion by way of Google's search engine, and even on Intel's or Microsoft's premier knowledgebase. The real kicker? It doesn't even sound like Intel knows about the issue, which is why they probably haven't fixed it.

So someone who is affected by this problem needs to let Intel and/or Microsoft know about it. And that person needs to have access likely to an Enterprise SA with Microsoft or some similar support contract with Intel in order to not be charged for it.

If you can't get that through your grubby little head, too bad. My s*** works, and I'm using the driver AND the Intel nic card. I should pull a "steelhead" and just say that it sucks to be you and you just need to get over it and do it a different way.

Good riddance.

No need to get all butt hurt. Again, you never answerd my questions but restated what I already knew from searching the forums as I stated initially. I am well aware that others have tried an failed, I am looking for someone who has been able to make it work.

I do have an EA, have contacted them and they push it to Intel. I have contacted Intel and they push it to the manufacturer. Dell pushes it back to Microsoft and around we go.

Do you even know what a "steelhead" is? :no: Maybe you should do some research prior to making yourself sound even more ignorant than before and using the species of a fish as a come back or can you not get that through your grubby little head as I believe the term was used. :w00t:

I am still unable to get these drivers to work within the WinPE environment. I have scoured the forum and have yet to find an answer.

I am adding all of the .din, .sys, .inf, .cat, and .exe files in the ProSet to their respective places within the WinPe image but everytime it defaults to a nete1000 driver created by Microsoft. Once I remove the nete1000 driver from the image the NIC simply doesn't work and in the logs it shows that no driver could be found for the device.

Any advice or instructions on how you were able to get the ProSet to work, or an Intel Pro 1000 card to work within the WinPe environment would be very greatly appreciated.

I have just converted all our stuff to run from Ram Drive via RIS/PXE but will be the same for cd. I just drop all the drivers in when running the makeimg.cmd using drvinst.exe (run from just before the 'REM Check if we need to create a image' line. Example of syntax 'c:\[Path To Drinst\drvinst.exe /inf:c:\[Path to your drivers inf file] c:\[PE Compiled Output directory] '.

Going through ris/pxe then use the attached inf file (as included in the latest drivers) to be put in the $oem$ directory as above

Oh, and a steelhead is a fish, yes?

e1000nt5.inf

Edited by gadget