Customize the word "Start" on your start button!

Guest LouCypher

Guest LouCypher

I'm just posting the link, not the whole thing:

http://overclockersclub.com/xpstartbutton.shtml

It does work, and also mentions a way I've not seen mentioned before of working around WFP (filelist.xml). It doesn't seem to mention however that the change ONLY works if you Desktop is set for XP style (Luna, etc.) instead of the Classic style (like Win2k).

Grab Resource Hacker at:

http://www.rpi.net.au/~ajohnson/resourcehacker/

• 2 weeks later...

DONT TRY THIS!!

and if you have already press ctrl alt del and tell me what happens.. i started this.. then decided it looked s*** on the site.. so i pasted the xml file and the explorer file back.. and my pc now does something odd when u hit ctrl alt del.. let me know it might be unrelated.. funny coincidence though eh?

the menu under ctrl alt del is all messed up.. theres no top on the box so i can check out system performance etc.. or close the box either.. i have to right click on the green cpu usage icon in the tray and shut it like that :S

Guest LouCypher

The graphics for the Luna scheme are all in the Luna.msstyles file in WindowsResourcesLuna directory. You can open this file in reshack (download from first post above) and edit the graphics in much the same manner as the startup screens, etc. There are three styles mentioned in Luna.msstyles, blue, homestead, and metallic. I believe the homestead corresponds to "Olive Green" and metallic is "Silver" visual styles. blue is the default blue style.

If you want edit the color or even change the shape of your start button then that would be the place to start. Look under the Bitmap resources for Luna.msstyles for BLUE_STARTBUTTON, etc.

its not the hack thats caused this problem.. it WAS just a coincidence as i put everything back as it should be!! :)

i wanted a black start button but realised it wouldnt be possible with this hack so i stopped doing it and put everything back.. i think its caused by something else on my system that ive installed or wiped off by mistake, ill run repair tool later and see if that fixes it.. if not its no biggie until the next format

The msstyles thingy is protected and unless you get a crack you cant edit or create msstyles files. I tried to make the start menue blue and it didnt work cuz of the protection..i found the crack but i cant replace the **** file... If any1 figures out how to replace the file i need to replace pls tell me...