Maximum Online Activations Reached!

Hey all,

I suspect that somebody out there has had this same problem...on Saturday I clean-installed my computer, like I have probably every month or so for the last four years. When I was sure I had everything in correct running order, I ran the Windows online activation, and was greeted by a window telling me that I had reached my maximum number of activations for my product key! I didn't think this was possible. I've never installed this product key on any other machines, just this one, although I've upgraded over the years.

So then I tried to activate using the telephone. After reading my numbers to the computer on the other end, I was informed that the system could not automatically activate me and I needed to speak to a customer service representative.

Once I talked to the rep, I was able to activate Windows. He of course grilled me, making sure I did not have this product key installed on any other computers, etc, but then allowed me to activate. After activation, I asked him if I would always have to call in for activation and he said yes.

Anybody else have this experience? I have a retail upgrade version of Windows XP Professional. Let me know if you've experienced similar problems - I just find it mildly amusing, maybe a way of telling me I shouldn't so quickly resort to a clean install to solve problems!

Yeah.. I had the same problem.. didn't do much about it... I'm very anti-microsoft.. but ironicly i'm on a microsoft based site/forum... but yeah... I turned to GNU/Linux after that...

I didn't want to ring up either, I think I have like one more activation license on my XP Homie edition.. LOL :lol:

Once I talked to the rep, I was able to activate Windows. He of course grilled me, making sure I did not have this product key installed on any other computers, etc, but then allowed me to activate. After activation, I asked him if I would always have to call in for activation and he said yes.

Anybody else have this experience? I have a retail upgrade version of Windows XP Professional. Let me know if you've experienced similar problems - I just find it mildly amusing, maybe a way of telling me I shouldn't so quickly resort to a clean install to solve problems!

Anyone who has an OEM product key (i.e. from Dell, HP, Gateway, etc. or purchasing an OEM version from NewEgg, ZipZoomFly, etc.) will have this problem from now on. It's something they started some 6 months or so ago.

I had to do it the last time I reinstalled my "Dell" system. :)

simple solution to the 'activation' issue. Just backup the wpa.dbl onto a floppy/flash media. Boot into save mode and replace/copy to ' \window\system32 directory '. As long as you made no major hardware changes everything will work just fine. Using this method, you could in theory reformat and reinstall your OS mutliple times per day :blink::huh: (if you felt froggy enough to)

ref:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...Activation.html

@ jbadley -

I think the method you describe also requires that the hard drive volume label remain the same between the two installations, which it doesn't if you do a reformat.

But this is the direction in which I'm heading.

Anybody know of a good, bootable DOS environment that handles NTFS so that I can wipe the installation drive clean without reformatting?

Edited by jrf2027

I imagine your best bet would be to setup a BartPE Disk, the other option would be to have a dual install of say Win2K and WinXP, booting into Win2K to wipe your WinXP partition.

All of the DOS based NTFS that I have seen are read-only, though perhaps theres one that requires $$ for write access? I don't know that I would trust it even so. Since the other options are fairly easy and safe.

Just another good reason to use Win2K I guess ;)

@ Crash&Burn -

Thanks for the suggestion. Rather than have a dual install with Win2K, I'm thinking about something involving a spare hard drive...I think I have my solution.

I'll share results when I do the next install - which I'm leery about doing now because of the need to phone home!

@ jrf2027

The extra harddrive is what I do actually, since bartPE requires "XP" which I don't have a valid key for.

I have an 8G drive w/ win2K installed on. Dropped into a HD-Enclosure would make for a great "tech tool" for service calls hehe.

The activation count used to expire after 6 months, but I believe this has been discontinued and activations are now remembered longer than 6 months - which is likely why you ran into this little snag. If you use a full OEM version of Windows (not retail, not OEM as in comes with an OEM PC, but a real, full OEM version) you will not have to activate Windows. This will likely change with Vista, but XP OEM versions do not need to be activated.

The activation count used to expire after 6 months, but I believe this has been discontinued and activations are now remembered longer than 6 months - which is likely why you ran into this little snag. If you use a full OEM version of Windows (not retail, not OEM as in comes with an OEM PC, but a real, full OEM version) you will not have to activate Windows. This will likely change with Vista, but XP OEM versions do not need to be activated.

Where do you get this OEM version that doesn't need activation?

When ever I've built computers for myself or friends and family

I've always had to activate XP. The CD's I've use are OEM cds

from Microsoft which I've bought from a local computer shop or

newegg.com

The only version that doesn't require activation is the Volume (same as "Corporate") License version. All others require activation.

The reason the Volume License version doesn't erquire activation is that you purchase the number of licenses you need for your organization and you get one Product Key to do all of the installs with.

yes, CD doesn't require activation are CD with generic key, and activation it's done by oembios files (so we must keep the original bios/material original from the oem like HP, Dell & co. ) ...

However, Corporate version is other method, the key works on all system and there nothing about activation ...

I just find it mildly amusing

Amusing? To have to call up and ask for permission to use something you already own?

To have to type 50 digits in like a monkey?

Do you think people with hearing impairments find this task amusing?