[Help] - winxp freezes

e0asto

"Ultra DMA CRC Error Count"

It means that the Ultra DMA (Direct Memory Access) CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) has produced MORE errors than it can "count", i.e. there is a defect in one of these:

1) cable (hardware)

2) Hard Disk controller (hardware)

3) driver (software) - rare

4) motherboard bus (hardware) - rare

An old glossary:

http://www.techterms.org/definition/ultradma

Now we are talking of ATA/speed or UDMA levels:

IDE or ATA or ATA1 original interface 16,7 mb/s = DMA2 = UDMA0

UDMA 0 16.7

UDMA 1 25.0 (NOT a standard)

UDMA 2 (Ultra-ATA/33) 33.3

UDMA 3 44.4

UDMA 4 (Ultra-ATA/66) 66.7

UDMA 5 (Ultra-ATA/100) 100

UDMA 6 (Ultra-ATA/133) 133

A more "advanced" site:

http://www.ata-atapi.com/index.htm

jaclaz

So, if I understand you correctly: either my HD is busted or my HD cable needs changing.

Hmm...well, as you probably guessed already my system is quite old so I do not intend on investing in a new HD (I'd rather by a new PC). A new cable I can try, but it sounds like my computer is slowly dying here.

Is it likely that my cdrom errors are due to a falty cable as well?

Yep, but it could also be that you have a newer hd with an elder 40 conductor cable.

I have found more than once people that upgrade or change the HD installing a good ol' 40 pin cable in place, then somehow enable UltraDMA and start getting errors...

...anything faster than ATA33/UltraDMA2 NEEDS an 80 conductors cable to work properly.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Could be, I know my computer is a "self-build", but I didn't build it (its a hand-me-down) so I have no idea about the compatability of its components. I know of some adressing errors to the com ports that i worked around, and that the network card is somewhat unstable (so I disabled it) so getting infront of the computer is always an interresting affair at my house.

Anyway, I thought it strange that this problem should appear "out-of-the-blue" if it is indeed a hardware problem, thus my suspicions towards the defrag prog mentioned earlier.

It seems that there is nothing more to say on this subject, except that I seriously need a new computer, so if noone has anything else to add I'd like to thank everyone for their help and consider this matter closed for the time being.

Anyone?