[Help] - winxp freezes

e0asto

Hi,

I did something really stupid...I tried to defrag the os files. Ever since, winxp freezes without warning disabling all keys and controls. To reboot I have to cut the power. As you can probably imagine this is very annoying, how do I remedy this without loosing any of my files? Help!

e0asto, what file system you using? FAT32 or NTFS?

If last, don't worry, because specific character this FS indemnifies from like situation. If you using FAT32 - all can happen, can makes sense use chekdisk command, but first see files from DOS mode.

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay...I believe I'm using NTFS. I can't imagine why I would've installed anything else. However I am unable to get to my computer at the moment (since I'm not home, thus the delayed reply) but I'll check in with a definite answer to that question within the next couple of days.

If I understood you correctly you have run into a similar problem, and I am greatful for any help and hints in how to fix my pc.

Later

Hi,

I used a program (freeware) that someone recommended to me. I can't remember who at the moment. Anyway, I believe it was a release by Sysinternals. This is the link: http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PageDefrag.html

However, to be sure I need to check my computer, which I can't at the moment as explained above. I will return with this information too in a few days.

The most reliable Defrag program is the one that came with windows.

Use that and nothing else and you won't have any problems.

The only better defrag you'll ever get is to do a Restore of a hard drive backup,,,,like with Norton's Ghost 2003, a DOS based backup program.

I would hook your HD into another system where you can access all your data files and copy them to a CD/DVD. Then reformat your HD and reinstall your OS and programs. Then never trust your HD to something given to you by a "friend".

Good Luck and Happy Holidays,

Andromeda43

Hi again,

Well, I can tell you that my file system is NTFS and that the defrag program I mentioned above is the one I used. As for using the windows defrag utility; it does not have the option of defraging the os files (as far as I know).

I'm downloading bootvis now to see if it helps me to figure out the problem, however I'm not to sure it will.

Another problem I have not yet mentioned, which also appeared after "the insident" is that during boot an error usually occurs "Primary master hard disk fail". However ctrl+alt+del causes a reboot and eventually (usually after 2 or 3 reboots) the system boots normally as far as I can tell.

I know I could reinstall my os, but I am rather curious to what exactly went wrong. Occupational habit I suppose, but I feel a need to know and to understand it.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Edited by e0asto

Hi,

I used a program (freeware) that someone recommended to me. I can't remember who at the moment. Anyway, I believe it was a release by Sysinternals. This is the link: http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PageDefrag.html

However, to be sure I need to check my computer, which I can't at the moment as explained above. I will return with this information too in a few days.

I have never had any problems wuth the utility you refer to. In fact it has improved perdormance in many instances. What I have actually done is creted a separate 5 GB partition for the temp & page files. In case of any trouble you can simply format it from a dos boot or a boot manager like BootITNg. XP will recreate what ever it requires & hum along.

Thanks for all the input...

I want to make clear that I do not know if the defrag utility actually caused the problem (for all I know it might just have uncovered some error, or moved some files into an unstable hd region if there exists such a thing.). I know little about this matter, thus my crie for help.

Would it be any point in running PageDefrag again, since it seems that it is not the foe here?

I have viewed the event log, however it escapes me what it is supposed to tell me (except the obvious). I was surepriced to learn that my cd rom causes so much errors though, but I doubt this is the origin of my troubles...any ideas? The next time my computer crashes I will mark the time, look up the error message and post it.

By the way, I have run bootvis to optimize my system...how would this solve my problem though?

I have a lot of "application hang" errors, are they relevant?

Later

Edited by e0asto

If you have an intermittent problem on your hard disk and/or CD-rom, you should first thing check if it is not made by an intermittent contact (read BAD cable).

Try with another one (new or known to be good).

In the event log there should be some errors about hard disk too, maybe controller, in SYSTEM EVENTS.

Then download HDTUNE:

www.hdtune.com

and use it to put a bit of "stress" on the HD.

READ the FAQ's:

http://www.hdtune.com/faq.html

jaclaz

If you have an intermittent problem on your hard disk and/or CD-rom, you should first thing check if it is not made by an intermittent contact (read BAD cable).

Try with another one (new or known to be good).

In the event log there should be some errors about hard disk too, maybe controller, in SYSTEM EVENTS.

Then download HDTUNE:

www.hdtune.com

and use it to put a bit of "stress" on the HD.

READ the FAQ's:

http://www.hdtune.com/faq.html

jaclaz

Well, I've used HDTUNE and it finds NO errors. It does find a possible problem, i.e. yellow marker, on the "Ultra DMA CRC Error Count", whatever that is??? However, the FAQ said not to worry, just check up on it from time to time. Even the temperature is a helathy 10 degrees celcius below critical.

As soon as I get a hold of a new cable, I'l try it. I don't have one now though. HDTune seems like a great utility, thanx for recommending it.