BTX cpus - different from ATX cpus?

dnich

Hi....

Was just wondering if any of you know if there is a difference between Intel CPUs which are marked BTX?

Reason I'm asking is because I've seen Intel boxes that states that the CPUs are BTX whereas some don't.

Looking at the CPU model #....they're the same.

In case you're wondering, the cpu in question is the INTEL PENTIUM 4 630 3.0GHZ EM64T W/2MB CACHE 800MHZ LGA775-PIN RETAIL BOXED W/COOLING FAN (3 YEARS WARRANTY) BX80547PG3000F

Another question - provided that the question above answer is no, there is no difference - will I be able to transplant a dell cpu (dimension 5150 - p4 630 - btx form factor) onto another atx socket 775 mobo from a different manufacturer (with a different CPU fan and Power supply)?

Thanks.

Another question - provided that the question above answer is no, there is no difference - will I be able to transplant a dell cpu (dimension 5150 - p4 630 - btx form factor) onto another atx socket 775 mobo from a different manufacturer (with a different CPU fan and Power supply)?

As long as the new board supports the p4 630 CPU, yes. What is the make and model of the motherboard you want to use?

Edited by ssmokee

Theres no difference in the "CPU" - BTX is just a new board layout thats been out for a while and has still failed to catch on. What you do need to be concerned about is your Case, they have to be BTX certified - almost all cases are designed for ATX or mini-ATX.

MAN. alright, i just built my first PC a couple of months ago. saved up for a long time for it and not going with BTX is sorta of a regret i have. few things:

1) the P5WD2 is AWESOME. THE PERFECT MOTHERBOARD. but ill tell you right now i really really wished i pitched in the extra few bucks for the deluxe model. mainly because the regular one has no FireWire. go with the deluxe(premium) model!

next is that BTX ROCKS. it wasnt until after i'd already built my pc that i heard tell of it. they basically moved everything around on the motherboard for a greater deal of efficiency. naturally theres absolutely no chance of fitting a BTX mobo in an ATX Case, a huge disadvantage because virtually all cases are ATX.

the case is the only thing you need to consider with BTX. harddrive, optical drive, CPU, all of that does not matter. its just in different spots with BTX. if you have the right socket, thats all you need. i dont know WHY they label the CPU's BTX, but it doesnt matter. it cant hurt to go with the BTX labelled ones if ytou want, but dont sweat it.

last, is the reason BTX hasnt caught on, if its SO much better(which it is). well, theres two, and their pretty similar to the changes almost every format adjustment goes through:

1) people cases will need to be changed. duh. online companies, computer store. their cases will have to go down in price to sell. since they own the retail world, their holding out.

2) the second reason is production. cases production factories, motherboard assembly plants, all case,mobo mass producers, are NOT HAPPY. it will cost them many thousands of dollars to adjust their plants and assembly line equipment to accomodate this new format. this has a greater impact than you might think, and means more changes for these producers than you can ever imagine. im guessing that that problem alone will result in very high pricing on BTX cases and motherboards for some time.

im guessing that in another year/year and a half, BTX will catch on and totally take over. from what i understand its worth it though. it runs cooler and faster, and i read that things are placed for easier access inside and outside the case. Coller, faster, and more accessible. who doesnt need more of that!

An EXCELLENT accurate and quick guide to Motherboard form factors.

Edited by breadandbubbles

Thanks for all the answers.

The only reason that I chose the asus non deluxe model is because of the PCI slots and the AGP slot. I have a bunch of PCI cards that I can still use and can still use my current AGP card (at least until I can afford to get a newer PCI express card).

So thanks for all the answers.