Add Destop icons during unattended install

Use the following reg key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
"{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000
"{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}"=dword:00000000
"{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000
"{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000

Use the following reg key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
"{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000
"{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}"=dword:00000000
"{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000
"{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000

I'll try it out later today...thx

If you apply that during T-12 (from cmdlines.txt), it will be applied to all users, which is probably what you want.

Make a .reg file with that tweak in it. Then make a .cmd file that runs regedit silently to apply the tweak. Then make an entry in cmdlines.txt to run the .cmd script.

The "My Documents", "My Computer", "My Network Places", "Recycle Bin", and "Internet Explorer" icons are special icons - they are hidden or shown on the desktop based on registry keys (they are not .lnk files!). Therefore, if you want to show the above icons on the desktop, you will need to modify their corresponding registry keys and values (as previously posted) to get them to be visible on the desktop.

If you have other shortcuts of your own that you'd like to show on the desktop, simply create the shortcut files on another system, copy the newly created .lnk files to your CD, then copy them to the desktop during installation.

cluberti that doesn't work. I've tried it like oh ten different times. I'm trying to put a link file or shortcut in the All Users\Desktop folder so that when a user logs on they will see the icon on their desktop and can start using the software. When I put the icon in the $OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Desktop\file.lnk and then start the unattended install then come back some 60+ minutes later nothings there. No icon no file. The install has completed but the icon for the link I created on the other computer then copied over and put into the folders mentioned above just ain't there.

Does anyone know how to make this work?

Crash&Burn;

Yes. As I've stated the unattended install works fine. I've put files folders etc into the $oem$ folder and they copy right over. I've put in a services file into the $$\system32\drivers\etc folder and it copies right over. The shortcut links do not copy over. I've made copies of the shortcut and changed the attributes to read only so they're not tempted to change when moved. Yet nothing.

It's as if their not there.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've always used a script to copy files from C:\TEMP\icons ($OEM$\$1\TEMP\icons) to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop during RunOnceEx. I think it would work in a script run from [setupParams] at T-9 during setup, but I'm not sure about copying these files over beforehand. The entire system isn't completely ready to go until the T-9 mark, so copying files to the All Users folder may or may not work before that. I'd suggest at least trying the [setupParams] or RunOnceEx methods to copy pre-existing .lnk files from a temporary location to the All Users\Desktop folder and see what does, and does not, work.

cluberti;

Thanks, that's exactly what I thought but needed someone to at least confirm my suspisions. I think putting the shortcut in the oem folder moves the files into the Add User folder to soon. I feel that during the install this folder gets written over and therefore is blank.

I agree that I should consider putting it in the RunOnceEx.cmd folder but now I'm a bit at a loss as to the hiarchy of this method.

RunOnceEx.cmd - resides in the rood of the cd? This file then addresses either another *.cmd, *.exe, *.bat file?

The *.bat file should be placed where?

i.e.

[GUIRunOnce]

%systemdrive%\folder\file.bat

Currently that's what I've got set up, I'm afraid though that either these files are not there yet or that if there they are over written somehow.