Change System Boot Partition

egrath

Hi Guys,

today i run into a rather interesting Problem concerning the partitioning done by the Windows XP Installer. I always used two partitions (two primary partitions, one with the operating system (c:) and one with my data stuff (d:)). Because today i upgraded my PC to a new Mainboard and CPU i had to reinstall Windows to upgrade to the long awaited x64 Version. Here's where i run into trouble.

I deleted the Primary Partition (using the Windwos XP installer), created a new one on the now free space and installed it. But now my Data Partition (formerly assigned to Drive D:) has become E: - and i am unable to move it back to D: because of the simple reason that the D: Partition is the active one and contains the Boot Files (ntdetect.com,ntldr,boot.ini). I played around with the Idea of moving the Boot files to the C: Drive and make it the active one - but Windows Installer has created a Extended Partition and created C: as a Logical Partition - so i am unable to make it the active one.

Has anyone run into the same Problems? Can i repartition my Harddisk (for example with Partition magic) to have C: as a Primary and active Partition without corrupting the OS installation?

Thanks and Bye,

Egon