Easy Question about 98SE2ME for MDGx or anyones else who knows.

First of all I own a copy of 98lite Professional. Lets say i use it to do a minimal install of windows 98. My question is this, if I install 98SE2ME on top of my 98lite install would 98SE2ME add files from windows me that removed from 98 with 98lite. Example lets say 98lite removes 12345.dll from win98, will 98SE2ME add 12345.dll when I install it or will it check to see if it is on my system or not before putting it there?

To put it a little more simply does 98SE2ME add the same files to a system reguardless of the configuration or does it analize the system to figure out which files should be added/replaces.

Thanks

-I'm pretty sure 98se2me copies all the ME files over, regardless of installed/uninstalled components... but of course u can try it and find out, just be sure to use 98se2me's backup function 1st, so u can restore your original "lite"-ed OS...

-u might also want to do some forum searches 1st, see what issues (if any) might be related to 98lite+98se2me... (and of course check MDGx's README files, just to be safe...)

>;]

Edited by PsycoUnc

First of all I own a copy of 98lite Professional. Lets say i use it to do a minimal install of windows 98. My question is this, if I install 98SE2ME on top of my 98lite install would 98SE2ME add files from windows me that removed from 98 with 98lite. Example lets say 98lite removes 12345.dll from win98, will 98SE2ME add 12345.dll when I install it or will it check to see if it is on my system or not before putting it there?

To put it a little more simply does 98SE2ME add the same files to a system reguardless of the configuration or does it analize the system to figure out which files should be added/replaces.

Thanks

98SE2ME installs same files no matter which "minimize windows" program you have used [98lite, mindows, etc].

But 98SE2ME does not install updated files from MS hotfixes/updates [all included in C:\9!M] if files with same version number/build already exist [i'm using the freeware GETVER tool to detect version numbers].

As PsycoUnc put it so well, the best bet is to allow 98SE2ME to backup your entire OS [if installing 98SE2ME for the 1st time], and then restore the files you want from C:\W98SEOLD [if necessary].

98SE2ME creates a full OS backup *only* if installing options 1 or 2.

All other options [from 3 to up 7] backup only replaced files.

Complete details in READ1ST.TXT [100 KB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/READ1ST.TXT

Hope this helps.