Guys....i have a prb

duhu

Heres tha problem: I have a friend that has an old computer and after a motherboard failure the guys from the service, it seems that they changed tha mobo with an oldest one, not ATX format, so that when (win XP) i turn off that computer it seems that only the monitor turn offs, the rest of the comp is still running like StandBy mode. I figured that the problem is because xp cannot poweroff the system because the mobo is not ATX, so im wondering if there is some trick or soft that can make xp turn off the computer the normal way.

Till now after im shutting down windows is still need to unplug the AC to turn it off, and this is not lovely.

thx for listening & srry for my eng if its bad

Awaiting answers

if it's usb, make sure in BIOS that usb controller or any option related to usb input devices are enabled.

if it's ps/2 make sure no pins are broken on the connection and that you are plugging it in the correct spot.

I wish i could give a good example of BIOS stuff, but not knowing the mobo or generation i think it ould do more harm than good.

However, this may help you on your way, BIOS Tweak Guide

Sorry..I think I was looking at another thread and wrote some of my reply in the previous post.

A common feature on mobos is a 4 sec delay before shutdown if you are pressing the power button. So what you should try is to press the power button in for 4-6 sec's. It should shutdown then. The option to change this behavior will be in the BIOS under Power Management (if the mobo supports changing it). Just look for an option that has something like '4 sec delay' or 'instant power off'.

The 4 sec delay is default on current motherboards so don't be surprised if it works. If you still think there could be an issue lingering related to the mobo, go to the manufacturer's website and d/l the latest BIOS update, sometimes new features are added and others resolved.

If you are having issues turning off the computer using windows 'shutdown', then you should do a google search for 'xp shutdown reg fix' and make sure you have all the latest updates as there is a known problem with shutdown on early XP and 2000 and it was resolved with a hotfix.

Edited by LiquidSage