How to apply USP5?

HappyRay

Hi all! :hello:

Just found out about Gurgelmeyers Unofficial SP5 for Windows 2000. I am writing a guide about installing Windows in a Norwegian forum. It has two dedicated parts: one for WINXPSP2 + RyanVMs Post-SP2 Update Pack and one for WIN2KSP4 + Update Rollup 1. Then someone recommended this pack for WIN2K. But before I add it to my guide, I have a question to ask about USP5:

Is it to be slipstreamed to a WIN2KSP4 CD?

I miss a good FAQ explaining what USP5 is, what's included and how to use/apply it.

Thanks in advance,

Ray | Norway

Is it to be slipstreamed to a WIN2KSP4 CD?
It can be slipstreamed to any english version of windows 2000 Read this post
I miss a good FAQ explaining what USP5 is, what's included and how to use/apply it.

If you have wread the post linked to above, you now should be able to understand that there are (to be) a few diferent version.

the only recomended version availeble (at the time of this posting) is: Windows 2k uSP5 (ENU) [build 11] wich is a cumulative update of windows 2000 containing about every security patch MicroSoft has ever released for the US-english language version of its OS.

that would probbebly include over a 100 patches that wont be installed if you use windows 2000 SP4 rollup 1 v2

Edited by -I-

OK, thanks!

So, if I wait for USP5.1 it'll include all that's in SP4 + UR1 + all of the updates after that + some other updates like IE6, DX9, etc and is supposed be be slipstreamed? How? Is it a "How-to.txt" in the ZIP-file?

probbebly the same way like any microsoft windows service pack (since it is being build the same way (with the same setup method)),

so either by nLite, or with the command line options as you would do with SP4.

that or using build 11 - of the 5.0 release and intergrating this hotfixes yourself,

Last post by Gurglemeyer, was about 5.1 basic being in (or near) beta-stage,

Like you, and most of us, I dont have a clue either about any ETA for the next release,

But if gurglemeyer wants testing, id be more than hapy to help...

@HappyRay - none of my USP's require or will require SP4 - they are fully cumulative.

USP 5 is integrated the same way MS SP1/2/3/4 are integrated:

w2ksp5.exe -s:<your image root dir>

or

w2ksp5.exe /integrate:<your image root dir>

or you may use nLite if you prefer. USP's behave like normal service packs in every way.

Every time I've estimated when any of my work would be ready I've been wrong. Mostly because I want to get everything 100% right, even down to the last registry entry. After all my USP's are supposed to solve problems - not generate problems ;)

@-I- - okay then - I'll let you know when RC1 is ready and make sure you have it. (Thanks :))

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)

Thanks for your response Gurgelmeyer and thanks for clearing that up :)

Then I understand :yes:

Just installed Windows 2000, as I've recently got a second harddrive for experimenting with. Think I'm gonna wait for USP5.1 and use nLite to make me a customized install :thumbup

Was waiting for Beta 2 of Windows Vista, but now it's delayed to january/february (instead of desember).

• 1 month later...
It depends. I have seen iso from as little as 120 mb all the way to 450 mb depending what you add or take away. But if all you do is slipstream USP the iso should be smaller due to driver intergration and deleting duplicate drivers.

I just copied my Windows 2000 CD to a directory, and used nLite to integrate USP 5.1. I didn't take anything away or add anything else.

The reason I ask is that it appears that the ISO is nearly the same size as the Win2K + SP4 ISO that I made last year with nLite. Seems like it should be a lot bigger.

nope it should even be a bit smaller, (because, it doesn't add files but rather replace them),

thats why its called slipstreaming...

Ok, now I'm officially confused.

You're telling me that Win2K with SP4 slipstreamed in is *larger* than Win2K with USP5.1 slipstreamed in?

How is that possible? USP5.1 includes a bunch of additional stuff that's not in SP4... IE6/OE6/WAB6/SE56/MSI31/BITS2

true,

but it also removes IE5. OE.5 and al lot of other stuff that it superseads,

Just like i said,

it does NOT add, -- but replace files, to get it done,

(juist like windowws with SP4 isn't 136mb lager than windows without it)...

also it may (or may not, i dont know), remove any last remaining files from the MSJVM (mircrosoft's java) package...

Edited by -I-

true,

but it also removes IE5. OE.5 and al lot of other stuff that it superseads,

Just like i said,

it does NOT add, -- but replace files, to get it done,

(juist like windowws with SP4 isn't 136mb lager than windows without it)...

also it may (or may not, i dont know), remove any last remaining files from the MSJVM (mircrosoft's java) package...

Ok, then is there any definitive way to test whether USP5.1 is slipstreamed properly after an install? i.e. is there something I can look for like a version number somewhere or the presence of a certain accessory or feature?